JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2013 JKU Sport in for a tune up, and all new fluids etc.
The shop found that several teeth of the spider gears in the rear diff have broken.
The cost to replace the parts is really close to that of a E Locker, and I'd rather pay a bit more to do it right. The question I have is my JKU has 3:73 gear sets and I will eventually jump to 4:88 or 5:13.
Will the E Locker for the OEM gear set work with the other gears? The shop guy said they will but I'd have to use a "thicker" gear set. It was a brief conversation as I'm at work and had to hang up.
Can someone confirm this info and explain it too?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
There's only 1 carrier for the rear D 44, With factory 3.73 the front carrier will work with either the 4.88 or 5.13. Yes the gear companies compensate for the smaller pinion gear by using thicker ring gears.
Common for the rear spiders to chip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's only 1 carrier for the rear D 44, With factory 3.73 the front carrier will work with either the 4.88 or 5.13. Yes the gear companies compensate for the smaller pinion gear by using thicker ring gears.
Common for the rear spiders to chip
Thanks for the follow up, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The only difference in D44 carriers is Rubi and non Rubi. They are not interchangeable but the ring and pinion are the same.
I would suggest the Eaton TruTrac mechanical LSD to replace your factory carrier. Unless of course you really want a selectable locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts