JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 6 speed manual transmission. The vehicle had 14 miles on it when I took possession from the dealership approximately 1 month ago.

For the most part I’m very pleased with the vehicle with the exception of an intermittent noise it makes.

After shifting gears when accelerating @ an R.P.M. of 1,800-3,000 I can hear some kind of vibration or knocking sound that appears to be coming from just underneath the gear shifter. The noise isn’t always there and when it is there the decibel level varies. At its worse though it’s annoying and embarrassing. It’s almost like under the right conditions the vehicle hits some type of resonance frequency. After I get into higher R.P.M.’s I can’t say the noise is evident any longer.

I have had the Jeep back to the dealership but could not duplicate the noise enough for the technician to give me his opinion. The problem I was describing seemed somewhat foreign to them as well. I know it’s not just me as my wife can hear it as well. The first time either of us heard it we were together and we both looked at each other at the same time with a puzzled look.

If anyone has any experience with this I’d sure like a point in the right direction.

· Registered
235 Posts
does it happen after warm-up. Most places don't take the vehicle for a test drive or if they do it is right down the street and back. Take the tech for a long ride till he hears it or you convince him he is hearing it.

· Registered
351 Posts
I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 6 speed manual transmission. The vehicle had 14 miles on it when I took possession from the dealership approximately 1 month ago.

For the most part I’m very pleased with the vehicle with the exception of an intermittent noise it makes.

After shifting gears when accelerating @ an R.P.M. of 1,800-3,000 I can hear some kind of vibration or knocking sound that appears to be coming from just underneath the gear shifter. The noise isn’t always there and when it is there the decibel level varies. At its worse though it’s annoying and embarrassing. It’s almost like under the right conditions the vehicle hits some type of resonance frequency. After I get into higher R.P.M.’s I can’t say the noise is evident any longer.

I have had the Jeep back to the dealership but could not duplicate the noise enough for the technician to give me his opinion. The problem I was describing seemed somewhat foreign to them as well. I know it’s not just me as my wife can hear it as well. The first time either of us heard it we were together and we both looked at each other at the same time with a puzzled look.

If anyone has any experience with this I’d sure like a point in the right direction.
If it's sort of a "rattle," yeah, my shifter does it, too. I've had it to the dealership, they've heard it, checked it out, and it was fine. They even took it apart and reassembled it, yet the issue still persisted. I only hear this between like 2000-3000 RPMs, just as you're describing.

· Registered
90 Posts
Reach around the front of the center console on the driver's side and slip a piece of hose onto the transfer case shifter cable that is rubbing against the bottom of the center stack.

· Registered
351 Posts
Reach around the front of the center console on the driver's side and slip a piece of hose onto the transfer case shifter cable that is rubbing against the bottom of the center stack.
The center console is sealed in the front, isn't it, or are you saying to remove the boot and go down through where the shifter is located?

· Registered
90 Posts
The center console is sealed in the front, isn't it, or are you saying to remove the boot and go down through where the shifter is located?
You actually replied to this without going into your Jeep and checking?

· Registered
427 Posts
this seems to be a very common issue. I have it too. I have heard several different problems and fixes. Including the one above^

I also read in a thread on another site I think, where guys found that there transmissions were underserviced from the factory (Manuals). Well, mine was half full at best! I was in total disbelief. I double checked that the manual says it takes 2 quarts. I topped it off with royal purple and the change was dramatic.

I for the most part, thought some of it was snake oil. I know synthetics are way better, but this time I actually experienced a noticeable difference. It was quieter and shifted much smoother.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rubicon Noise

I have had a few posts over the past few months related to a noise I was hearing in my 2013 Jeep Rubicon. The posts I started were entitled…

• “2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Noise”
• “2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Noise rev2”
• “2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Transmission (A Plea for Help!!!!!)”

There was definitely a noise for sure but it was NOT the transmission!!!
If your Jeep is making this noise then I know the problem for sure…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIqncW_SbDg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSm93zz_PcY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I did not figure it out. It was only through the forums that someone (user “kta2402”) had the right answer.
There is a cable that connects the transfer case shifter knob to the transfer case. The cable is very similar to a bicycle cable. There is a hard outer sheath with an inner cable that actually moves (extends or retracts) relative to the outer sheath.
This hard outer sheath has upward pressure on the underside of the center console. Under certain conditions this cable “rattles” like craze. See image below (I stole this image from user “kta2402”…)

While you are I there check the wiring harness as well. I recommend wrapping both with something soft. Once you do there is no more noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.