JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy my '12 Rubi for stellar MPG but what the Fuck Jeep? I waited around for the 2012 Penta motor expecting marginally better power and MPG as ADVERTISED. Just drove my stock Rubi from WA to CA, never exceeding 75MPH the entire trip, and I averaged 16.7 MPG. I'm calling Bullshit. 16 MPG? Seriously? WOW... can't wait 'til the 37s arrive.

End Rant.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can get 20mpg if I keep somebody in front of me to reduce wind resistance and stay around 65mph. I saw 23mpg once but that was doing 50-55mph and babying it. A Rubi won't get the advertised mileage, since that's for the base Sport model with the 3.21 highway gears and street tires. Once you factor in the mud tires (usually good for at least 1mpg drop on their own) and either 3.73 or 4.10 gears then it'll drop more, especially if you're keeping the speed at 70mph or higher.

I'm more annoyed that my city mpg numbers are only 12-13mpg. I drive mostly "suburban" with only an 8 mile round trip work commute. In the 3359 miles recorded since I bought it, the running average is 13.5 with the best tank mpg of only 16.1. And this is mostly on flat ground, you have to look hard to find a hill in my state. I drive it fairly conservatively as well. My numbers estimate is that only 30% of my driving has been on highway, so that will affect it, but I wish I could figure out how to get the city mileage higher.

From looking through the stats of other 2012 JKs on Fuelly.com, the only ones that get near 20mpg are either Sports or do primarily highway driving. https://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/wrangler/2012

·
Registered
258 Posts
I actually average 15.8 or 15.9 and my driving is all within 1-5 miles from home. I was a little shocked as well however we do drive boxes lol. 12-13 is pretty rough although mine is a sport S with the 32" mall rubber on it at the moment. This is why I am only going with 33" off road tires and not much else for this little piggy.

·
Coonasian
1,835 Posts
That kind of surprises me. I just did my first tank on Fuelly today for our 2011 Rubicon Unlimited and it is acceptable and pretty stable with almost all city driving.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
For decent milage you will need to keep it to 70 MPH or below. But even that is only good for about 1 to 1.5 MPG on my rig. Trust me I know. Over 32K this year. 2011 Rubi 6 speed.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
With aerodynamics like a barn and the rolling resistance of a tank can only do so well.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a Rubi 4 door manual and manage 18.1mpg with my 12 mile drive. 50% on the freeway.

I keep it under 65mph via cruise control and knock it into neutral and let off the gas when approaching red lights and coming off exit ramps.

On longer road trips with >100 miles, I can see 23mpg using the same tricks.

Keeping your tires at 35psi helps too!

·
Registered
193 Posts
37" KM2's, 5.38 gears and all city driving for me nets 15 mpg. VERY happy with it since I was getting about 10 mpg before regearing

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
how many miles do you have on it?
I have an 11 (i know its different engines...) with almost 5,000 and my mileage is slowly improving. i drive the same route every day and always use cruise control. ive been getting 17.2 mpg up from about 16. I have an auto with 3.73 gears, 265-75R17's. i drive 60 mph for about 20 minutes then 70 mph for about 10.
I feel like for what i get, a nice vehicle with a great aftermarket, plenty of room, and good offroad capabilities i cant have it all.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got an auto with 4.10s and approximately 2000 miles on the clock. I've tried the coasting thing but even on the down hill sections of I5 would lose speed due to the gearing.

Guess I'm still hoping my engine will "break in" a little more. Either way, I still have a badass rig.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
What I find interesting is that the 12's are rated 17/21 and the 11's were 15/19, I think. I just bought an 07 and found the window sticker in the glove box and it is rated 17/19. I'm not sure what the variance is from, but I've gone through one tank and got right around 17 with a mix of city and highway.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Hell I'd be happy to see 250 mile from a tank, I'm rolling up to the pump on fumes at 238. I know it's not much but for a 22 gallon tank you would think that you could get 250-275 consistently.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unlimited rubi auto with 3.73s, I get 18 hwy and 16 city.

Pretty much flat hwy driving in TX around 75mph.

Didnt buy it for the mileage anyway, but its not bad.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Hell I'd be happy to see 250 mile from a tank, I'm rolling up to the pump on fumes at 238. I know it's not much but for a 22 gallon tank you would think that you could get 250-275 consistently.
I used to be right at 1/4 a tank at 250 miles. but now its up to 275 or so.

·
Registered
916 Posts
my 09 JKUR 6speed could get 21mph if i kept it under 70mph with tires inflated to 40psi. This was when everything was stock.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
So far we're only getting about 16-17 in our '12 JKU Rubicon 6spd. That is down a little from the '08 JKU Rubicon auto (combined average of about 18-19) and our '09 JK Rubicon 6spd & tow tune (also about 18-19) we had. Still a bit better than our '11 Grand Cherokee with a Hemi.

Oh well, if I wanted high fuel economy I would have bought a Volt or Cruze or something.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
2012 JKU sport, 6 speed, stock wheels/tires. i get about 13-15, but i drive like a bat out of hell. when I "baby" it, I can get 16-19. and all my driving is pretty much interstate. It's a flying brick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i drive my jeep 6 miles each way to work and back home im getting 15mpg around town and 18-20 on highway if the cruise control is set at 70. i live in new jersey and tomorrow im taking it to cape may thats close to a 3 hour drive so ill see how many times i have to fill up lol. in june i was going to take it from jersey to chicago but im not to sure about that know im getting 250 miles to a tank right now i have the 2012 jku sport

1 - 20 of 32 Posts