JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for some sliders/steps for my 2012 and I've noticed that a lot of products only list as being compatible with '07-10 or '07-11. Is this just because they haven't updated their listing, or were there changes made for the '12 model that have changed the location of the normal rocker mounting locations?

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a combo rock slider/ step for a 4 door JK I'd be happy to listen. There's so many options out there it's hard to decide! :shaking:

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
Nothing on the body has changed. There are changes in the undercarriage, but nothing that should affect any slider/step that I have ever seen. The thread pitch on the skid plate bolts changed in '11, but even the most extensive step/slider coverage would only go to the frame rail.

Since you use the term "rock slider" I will assume you want something that will do the work, not just look good. You want something that attaches to the body mount bolts, at the very least, not just the body only. Otherwise that step just becomes more leverage to waste your rocker panels.

Check out T&T Customs--I have these traditional steel slider/steps on my 2-door, beat the snot out of them and they still look great: http://www.tntcustoms.com/Jeep_Wrangler_Unlmited/JK_4Door/Rock_Sliders/Boatsides.aspx

I also love their 6061 Aluminum "molded look" slider steps--only 42 pounds! Not on their website, but look here on their yellow Jeep:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...11864951.87307.100000097548839&type=3&theater

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I want something that will do the job, not just for looks.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I do not own a '12 but I spoke to someone this weekend who does. He said that he had trouble installing a set of rails/sliders/steps. The company said they would work, but he had to do some pretty significant work to make it happen.

Something about Fiat installing some pucks above something versus being mounted below on earlier models. I didn't pay that much attention cause I have an 08 and I saw something shiny that distracted me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, I want something that will do the job, not just for looks.
Hey 2012JKU! While you're researching you should take a few minutes to check our Billy Rockers out. A bolt on step is due to be released within the next month, so stay tuned for that...

There are several attempted copies of these starting to appear in the industry so some clarification is in order...

1. We developed these to be constructed from aluminum from the start to protect your JK's body in the most extreme trail situations possible. A properly engineered aluminum solution like our Billy Rockers save you weight without sacrificing durability.

2. The copy's that are floating around lack our engineered 3-layer system that distributes impact forces to the body mounts instead of the body itself. Our system uses a boxed sub-structure that absorbs and deflects energy before it is transferred to the body.

Here's a pic of a cross section we use to demo the three layers and the boxed sub-structure:

3. The copy's also lack our in house tooling team that developed special oval dimple dye's to reinforce the outer skin. Dimple dyes add significant strength while reducing overall weight even more. A full set of our 4-door Billy Rockers weigh in at only 91lbs, including hardware.

4. Our's fit perfectly. Our team of designers and fabricators has gone through many iterations to achieve perfect fitment. These fit to your jeep, rather than making the Jeep fit to them.

5. By using our 3 piece system, 3/4" of material ends up between your jeep and obstacles.

Here's two videos that prove our engineering and manufacturing process came together to make an incredible solution. Filmed on three of the most intense trails in the country...Carnage Canyon, Billings Canyon, and Independence Trail here in Colorado.

Trail Abuse 2 - YouTube

Nemesis Billy Rocker Abuse 1 - YouTube

In short, there is not a better rocker solution on the market, regardless of your intended use.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I do not own a '12 but I spoke to someone this weekend who does. He said that he had trouble installing a set of rails/sliders/steps. The company said they would work, but he had to do some pretty significant work to make it happen.

Something about Fiat installing some pucks above something versus being mounted below on earlier models. I didn't pay that much attention cause I have an 08 and I saw something shiny that distracted me.
We've installed several sets on 2012's without issue. There were not any frame or body changes in the affected area.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How about factory Rubicon rocker guards? Will a set from an older Unlimited fit a 2012?
Should, there's no changes to the places where they mount. But note that they (or, rather, their mounts) are not all that sturdy. Here's what happens if you slide off a big rock and give them a big bang:

I do have a question about the body mounted systems that tie into the body mounts: do these tie in at the frame side of the body mounts, or the body side of the body mounts? I.e., do they add a path for vibration to get into the body? One thing I like about the JK compared to my old LJ is that it's so smooth. I'm thinking that a frame-mounted system like the T&T, LoD, or Shrockworks might be preferable if the knock-worthy body-mounted systems basically tie in to the frame anyhow, yeah they hurt the clearance a little, but I notice that I really don't have much space under my rockers compared to my old LJ anyhow due to the way the frame rails were shoved out to the outside in order to make room for the gas tank between them, so...

·
Registered
558 Posts
I do have a question about the body mounted systems that tie into the body mounts: do these tie in at the frame side of the body mounts, or the body side of the body mounts? I.e., do they add a path for vibration to get into the body?
If they were engineered and built by us, then all of the negative forces are distributed to the frame side body mounts and/or spread out along the body, depending on the direction of the forces.

We've run the cripes out of our Billy Rockers on the most intense trails in the country with the goal of finding their weaknesses....

Not in a single instance were any forces transmitted to the body that caused damage.

Give us a call if you have any more questions @303-974-2440.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Which wasn't the question I was asking, the question I was asking was about vibrations transmitted from the frame to the body during daily driver operation of the vehicle. My JK not only goes on the trail (see pics above of results of that with the OEM rock rails), but is also my daily driver. I've added mods to my old LJ (which similarly was my daily driver as well as trail rig) that resulted in increased vibration to the cockpit, such as aftermarket motor mounts. That annoyed me, and I then un-did those mods and went to mods that didn't cause increased vibration.

At the moment I'm primarily looking at the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers because they require minimal drilling and have survived the Hammers without anything other than cosmetic damage (note that I am *not* going to run the Hammers anytime soon, but if rocker protection survives the Hammers, it ain't gonna flinch at anything I do to it). They do not tie in to the body mounts, they mount the same way as the OEM (i.e. to pinch seam and step channel) but with *many* more bolts to distribute force over a wider area. It's impossible for them to transmit vibration from the frame to the body, since they're 100% mounted to the body.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Which wasn't the question I was asking, the question I was asking was about vibrations transmitted from the frame to the body during daily driver operation of the vehicle. My JK not only goes on the trail (see pics above of results of that with the OEM rock rails), but is also my daily driver. I've added mods to my old LJ (which similarly was my daily driver as well as trail rig) that resulted in increased vibration to the cockpit, such as aftermarket motor mounts. That annoyed me, and I then un-did those mods and went to mods that didn't cause increased vibration.

At the moment I'm primarily looking at the Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers because they require minimal drilling and have survived the Hammers without anything other than cosmetic damage (note that I am *not* going to run the Hammers anytime soon, but if rocker protection survives the Hammers, it ain't gonna flinch at anything I do to it). They do not tie in to the body mounts, they mount the same way as the OEM (i.e. to pinch seam and step channel) but with *many* more bolts to distribute force over a wider area. It's impossible for them to transmit vibration from the frame to the body, since they're 100% mounted to the body.

Sorry, I definitely misunderstood your post. No, ours will not transmit vibrations into the body. Our engineers thought of that. The three layer design allows each piece to move independently until enough force is applied...at that time the boxed substructure carries the force into the body mounts. Vibrations from daily driving, pre-running, wash board roads...etc have been considered and tested....and were not forceful enough to initiate transfer from the substructure.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I've been looking for some sliders/steps for my 2012 and I've noticed that a lot of products only list as being compatible with '07-10 or '07-11. Is this just because they haven't updated their listing, or were there changes made for the '12 model that have changed the location of the normal rocker mounting locations?

Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a combo rock slider/ step for a 4 door JK I'd be happy to listen. There's so many options out there it's hard to decide! :shaking:
Have you tried Ace. acejeep.com
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part

Great price, great performance, easy install, life time warranty.

I use them as a step and rock sliders. I'm 240+ and jump up and down on them, and they are solid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.