JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had this jeep for 3 years and its been decent but burns oil in passing gear. It went from 17mpgs down to 10 and going through oil like crazy. Im annoyed with the gas engine and have a 1990 perkins 4cyl diesel waiting to go in. Behind the perkins i have a t18 with a novak adapter that bolts to the jeeps nv241. Ill upgrade to the 241or eventually. From there to a set of 2002 superdutys with 410s sitting on 35s til i can go bigger. Suspension is the mopar 3.5 with fox resivours. Just started tearing out the 3.6l today so pics soon. I thought id make a build thread to help out. Theres not alot of info on the perkins so.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
This should be cool. What kind of power numbers does the Perkins put out? To be honest, the name Perkins sounds vaguely familiar, but I have no idea what their used in originally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perkins was bought by caterpillar and was used in massy fergison tractors, ford rangers, sailboats, landroavers, jcb backhoes, forklifts, deliverytrucks.....
Power numbers are compareable to the cummins 4bt.
Ive turned the pump up and added a turbo so it will need a dyno run or 2.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Definitely interesting! Thanks for making a thread.

My only direct experience with Perkins diesels was fixed-RPM applications in gensets and hydrostatic equipment
- reliable as a fookin' hammer there. :rockon:

What state are you in, that this dolphin-killing eco-terrorist swap is allowed? :dunno:

(I just need to know what specific state to be jealous of, from Kalifornistan :( )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im in new mexico. Diesels arent regulated like cali. No emissions. As long as u meet code for lights and safty itll pass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weather has put me on a holding pattern. waiting on a few more parts to b ordered so no biggie. Tracking down a custom made pully set up to go from a v to a 6 rib serp setup is a pain. Only 3 companys make them and all are outrageously priced. S&W diesel has the 2 i need for 345.
Just a few more parts and ill be ripping the 3.6 out on the next sunny day. Ill be sure to take lots of pics to document this build. So far i havent found any jku with this engine so itll be fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Parts have been rolling in slowly. Got the tank, fuel line, new starter to replace the 24v one. Adapter for the trans to tcase is here with the t18 rebuild kit. Ordered trusses from artec, gps speedo, gears to match the front axle. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit more to start tearing into this. Tax return is almost gone!

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
What the EPA requires and what states enforce are two totally different things. The EPA doesn't have any practical means for enforcing their rules. They mostly rely on states to monitor those things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diesels are unregulated on emissions here. In my county i have no emissions even on my gas truck. And if they ever do do emisions il retitle it as a diesel and when it does come up for emissions they only check safety thins like light, blinkers, brakes....im not worried.
Anyway..... had a couple of hours to start this emissions hating, snowflake pisser offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got in a ton of parts and picked up a new jd2 bender. Cutting on the axle to make room for the trusses. I got the tank and evap can out and the muffler and a ton of bolts underneath. Not a lot but steady as she goes. Should have the engine out sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3.6 to a 4.0 more fuel efficient, a little less horse power, and alot more torque.
The perkins is longer and a bit heavier but worth the trouble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weather was cold so knocked one thing off the list.
Used a sharpened tip to a soldering iron and gutted the instrument cluster so i could use the housing.
Just need to get an egt gauge in it and turn signal indicator lights and its done.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some progress! Got the engine out and trans. Getting the shifter out was a pain. Just about ready to stab the new engine and trans and start the wiring and clutch peddal and linkages. Yay! No going back now!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Weather was cold so knocked one thing off the list.
Used a sharpened tip to a soldering iron and gutted the instrument cluster so i could use the housing.
Just need to get an egt gauge in it and turn signal indicator lights and its done.
That gauge cluster came out bitchen!

Am I correct to assume the Perkins has no electronics that go with it?

What are you doing to keep the Jeep side happy?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes the perkins is all mechanical. I went with all aftermarket gauges because it was a major headache trying to keep the computer happy with the new swap. Im only keeping the wiring for everything but the old engine. Ill need to hard wire only a few things. When i get there ill post on what needed redone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes the perkins is all mechanical. I went with all aftermarket gauges because it was a major headache trying to keep the computer happy with the new swap. Im only keeping the wiring for everything but the old engine. Ill need to hard wire only a few things. When i get there ill post on what needed redone.
sub'd .....awesome job so far

1 - 20 of 34 Posts