·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2010/04/wrangler-to-remain-unique

While most Chrysler and Fiat platforms are being evaluated to see how they will fit in the upcoming Chrysler-Fiat mix, the Jeep Wrangler isn’t going to be sharing with anyone. Not even other Jeeps.

Though it’s a relatively low-volume product, the Wrangler’s unique, terrain-conquering heritage is too valuable to dilute, especially with the likely demise of the Hummer brand.

Though they won’t be shared, the Wrangler’s underpinnings are scheduled for two major upgrades by next year. While the company isn’t releasing many details, these are likely to include the new Pentastar V6 and improved interiors. The company says new derivatives of the iconic Wrangler are also in the works. There has been a lot of interest in a Wrangler pickup like the government-only J8, but Mike Manley, head of the Jeep brand, says though he would like to do a pickup, such a vehicle “is not imminent.”

“No imminent” is also applicable to a diesel-powered Wrangler for the North American market. However, a diesel is being studied as it would improve the Wrangler’s fuel efficiency. That’s important as Chrysler works to meet new federal mileage standards.

Sounds promising.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Since the small truck segment is dying out and the Dakota is going away, there could be a nice niche market to support a cool Wrangler-based pick-up. Many have been clamouring for one in recent years, the next couple years might prove to be a good time for it. I just hope they do it with a real bed instead of the Unlimited variants we've seen thus far.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I forsee many good changes to the wrangler over the next 5 years. Each year I think will have us kicking ourselfs wishing we had held off one more year. LOL

by then HITMONEY will have like 10 JKs :laughing:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yeah no joke right! I finally get to the point in life that I can afford a jeep then before it's paid off they actually decide to put a motor in it that will give it the ability to merge safely in traffic. (Houston-they don't call I-45 the south texas autobahn for nothing!) and I'll admit I put the fucking dumbass hat, swallow the hook like a retard bandwagon hat on that the lifetime powertrain warranty would be worth a damn and bought one before it was cancelled, boy was I wrong.

The river raider st looms like a great alternative for when everyone trades up and flood the market with cheap jk's. Who knows, I know after the jeep purchase it will be very doubtful that I would buy american again. Sorry but between the quality and most of all the dealer service has pushed me far away from them.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the small truck segment is dying out and the Dakota is going away, there could be a nice niche market to support a cool Wrangler-based pick-up. Many have been clamouring for one in recent years, the next couple years might prove to be a good time for it. I just hope they do it with a real bed instead of the Unlimited variants we've seen thus far.
Sorry Ram brand will not ever let Jeep build a truck......

The company says new derivatives of the iconic Wrangler are also in the works. There has been a lot of interest in a Wrangler pickup like the government-only J8, but Mike Manley, head of the Jeep brand, says though he would like to do a pickup, such a vehicle “is not imminent.”

“No imminent” is also applicable to a diesel-powered Wrangler for the North American market. However, a diesel is being studied as it would improve the Wrangler’s fuel efficiency. That’s important as Chrysler works to meet new federal mileage standards.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2010/04/fiats-five-year-plan

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Well here is to holding out for 2012 to trade in my 08 JK for a new JK with the Pentastar:bounce::beer::beer::beer:and the end of the world on 12/12/12.:hide:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well here is to holding out for 2012 to trade in my 08 JK for a new JK with the Pentastar:bounce::beer::beer::beer:and the end of the world on 12/12/12.:hide:
You get 9 extra days its 12/21/12...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
The reason they are killing the Dakota is the same reason they will not likely build a Jeep pickup...lack of sales. Truck buyers want "big" trucks with lots of hauling/towing capabilities, whether they use it or not! ;)

Jimmy
jimmyzwheelz

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The reason they are killing the Dakota is the same reason they will not likely build a Jeep pickup...lack of sales. Truck buyers want "big" trucks with lots of hauling/towing capabilities, whether they use it or not! ;)

Jimmy
jimmyzwheelz
Truck buyers want a 1/2 ton diesel,or smaller.Not everyone wants or needs a 3/4 ton,but want and need a diesel.300 ft.lbs of torque from a 4 cyl diesel pretty much matchs 1/2 tons and boast better mpg.:smokin:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Truck buyers want a 1/2 ton diesel,or smaller.Not everyone wants or needs a 3/4 ton,but want and need a diesel.300 ft.lbs of torque from a 4 cyl diesel pretty much matchs 1/2 tons and boast better mpg.:smokin:
I know Ram maybe re-looking at the v6 Diesel 1/2 ton truck frrom what I hear. Cummins has a engine that they were building for Ram before the BK last year.

Jason

·
Registered
430 Posts
The penstar doesn't really excite me...i would get excited if they put either diesel engine (AWESOME) or a hemi.

I really wish they would give us americans the CRD!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
why trade in when you can just buy the motor and swap out. Of course if you're gonna do that then there are so many other motor options and your cost would be so much less than a new vehicle. JMT...

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The penstar doesn't really excite me...i would get excited if they put either diesel engine (AWESOME) or a hemi.

I really wish they would give us americans the CRD!!
It should! Probably not going to post GC numbers in HP but I bet its at least 240 HP Vs the [email protected]! If you want a diesel you can buy euro parts and do the conversion only about $35K:smokin:

why trade in when you can just buy the motor and swap out. Of course if you're gonna do that then there are so many other motor options and your cost would be so much less than a new vehicle. JMT...
BINGO we are Jeepers we can swap out anything and make it work right?

Jason

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I know Ram maybe re-looking at the v6 Diesel 1/2 ton truck frrom what I hear. Cummins has a engine that they were building for Ram before the BK last year.

Jason
From what I understand Cummins has the V6 diesel all ready to go,and has had it ready (developed and tested) for several years.I would buy a ram 1500 diesel,or a dakota diesel were dodge to keep the dakota.I have heard that both toyota and nissan will be bringing in a diesel 4x4 pickup as early as next year.Not sure how true that is.Whoever does it first wins....and wins big,imho.:smokin:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts