JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day from down under,
I have been trying to find the workshop manual for a 2012 JK 3.6L.
If anyone knows where I can find it or has a copy they could share I would be super appreciative.

Cheers,
Dutaun

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
The JK manual is as a self-contained HTML distribution. You need to purchase it from FCA. They sell both a perpetual and subscription-based license.
There are PDF versions floating around but they are effectively a copyright violation. There are also third-party versions that cost less, like AllDataDIY.

·
Registered
2010 JK Rubicon, 6-sp, 4" Old Man Emu lift, 35's, 4.88's
39 Posts
The JK manual is as a self-contained HTML distribution. You need to purchase it from FCA. They sell both a perpetual and subscription-based license.
There are PDF versions floating around but they are effectively a copyright violation. There are also third-party versions that cost less, like AllDataDIY.
Do you have a link for the one from FCA? There are a lot of third-party sites out there selling some version of these workshop manuals. Hard to tell which one's are legit or are just fly-by-night operations.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a link for the one from FCA? There are a lot of third-party sites out there selling some version of these workshop manuals. Hard to tell which one's are legit or are just fly-by-night operations.

Nope, I don't have it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nope, I don't have it.
I was asking the previous poster as I am interested in getting a factory service manual myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess I should add that I've looked at a couple of sites recently... One of them is techauthority.com. they want about $130 for their version, but it doesn't include wiring diagrams and does not explicitly say that it includes Rubicon edition (which I need). Here's the full link for my manual, but note this is for a 2010: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Service Information USB - P-81-370-10063A-SUSB - Mopar Tech Authority

There's another one that I've looked at recently, but I can't quite remember the name. This one did explicitly say it was for Rubicon edition but it was for around $200.

I need to also add that I cannot recommend either of these because I don't know anything about them.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
The Mopar Tech Authority manuals are the factory service manuals. They distribute them on a USB stick and require an older version of Windows and IE to properly work. The easiest thing to do is spin up a Win7 VM and run it in there. The manual covers all JK trim levels. They also have a Tech Authority subscription service that has 1/3/7/30/183/365 subs to everything (manuals, wiring diagrams, etc) online. Again, a lot of it needs IE, unless something has recently changed.

I use ALLDATAdiy and pay a yearly subscription for the models I need manuals for. So for example, I paid somthing like $60 for a 2015 JK manual. The new site has some extra added touches like the interactive wiring diagrams which are nice. If there's a specific thing you're looking for, I can see if they cover it in the manual. I have a sub for every vehicle I own and feel it's worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Mopar Tech Authority manuals are the factory service manuals. They distribute them on a USB stick and require an older version of Windows and IE to properly work. The easiest thing to do is spin up a Win7 VM and run it in there. The manual covers all JK trim levels. They also have a Tech Authority subscription service that has 1/3/7/30/183/365 subs to everything (manuals, wiring diagrams, etc) online. Again, a lot of it needs IE, unless something has recently changed.

I use ALLDATAdiy and pay a yearly subscription for the models I need manuals for. So for example, I paid somthing like $60 for a 2015 JK manual. The new site has some extra added touches like the interactive wiring diagrams which are nice. If there's a specific thing you're looking for, I can see if they cover it in the manual. I have a sub for every vehicle I own and feel it's worth it.
Thanks for breaking that down for me. Think I'll just go with an alldata subscription as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
G'day from down under,
I have been trying to find the workshop manual for a 2012 JK 3.6L.
If anyone knows where I can find it or has a copy they could share I would be super appreciative.

Cheers,
Dutaun
Thanks for breaking that down for me. Think I'll just go with an alldata subscription as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, did anyone buy & try the Jeep repair manuals from Mitchell1 eautorepair.net ?
If so what's the story? Does it do the job as needed? Is it a good workshop repair manual? (reviews are pretty bad though) Amazon Reviews of Mitchell1 DIY

From what I saw in the demo it looks like it is subscription, web-only, requires live internet, and (practically speaking) not convertible to a portable format like PDF. I don't know about anyone else, but when I MOST need a shop repair manual, I'm generally not in range of a cell phone signal. Looking for a shop manual or repair manual for 2017 Jeep Wrangler. I know I'm going to need it.

·
Super Moderator
1,799 Posts
If you want a print manual, you're going to need to perform a level-set on your expectations, or go with one of the "one-size-fits-all" manuals from Chilton or Haynes. There's others online selling PDFs, but every time I run across those, they look like someone just did a rip from Tech Authority, which, while most people don't care, is stealing.
The reason why these manuals are web-based is because they are complex. Just the wiring diagrams and guides alone would fill an entire book. Moving it to the web makes it easier to provide interactive wiring diagrams and harness locations that would just take up far too much space in a book. Secondly, a lot of procedures will reference additional procedures mid-way thru the document. That's a lot of paper to carry.
If you want portability of a quality manual, Tech Authority on flash drive + Win notebook is best. It just costs $$$.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want portability of a quality manual, Tech Authority on flash drive + Win notebook is best. It just costs $$$.
Thanks Snout, I bought the paper book official Jeep shop manual for my old 98 TJ and carried it everywhere. It was an expensive book then $120 or more. Great resource. Used it many times on the trail as well as at home. And it looks like you are right about the rips, I spent hours searching the net last night and that's what I saw. Or what I probably saw, I'm not sure what is what with those things, they don't describe em well, nor do they show any screen photos. So who knows what they are selling.

A searchable PDF of the shop manual would be great for me. Why did they have to make it Windows IE specific instead? Geez. Well, I guess you already hit on the answer, and that is a PDF is too easy to copy & transfer around.

Still, it's sort of tough to adjust to the idea of needing to bring a Windows computer on the trail just to have a decent repair manual with me. I'm not even a Windows user, so it is doubly difficult to accept. I'd be totally OK with paying the same amount of $$ if I could run the thing on my phone without internet. I wish they'd offer that, even if it was locked to only work on my phone or ipad. Like a Kindle book or an app is locked to only run on my own phone or device.

Anyway, thanks for your insight, this is the truth that I was hoping wasn't the way things really are. I guess I'll start looking for a ssd Windows laptop to live in the Jeep. ...

Oh wait - it's not even available to buy? TechAuthority 2017 Jeep Wrangler Service Information USB $130
and 2017 Jeep Wrangler Wiring/Service Combo USB $196 are both out of stock, and I see that people have been complaining about that for months. Ooof. Now what? 🧐

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found & bought the TechAuthority manual for 2018 JK as a CD on Ebay. $130 or so. There is little or no difference that I know of between the 2017 & 2018 JKs, so it probably just has the updates. I was glad to find it, some searching paid off.

I'm a Mac guy, so I installed the Tech Authority CD into a Windows 7 VM using Parallels. Seems to work fine at home anyway, no issues. If you want to use Windows 10, there is some trick necessary to force the newer MS Edge web browser into compatibility in older MS Internet Explorer mode.
Frankly I don't see why they designed the product to only work in a certain web browser. The interface is pretty basic, just links really, and I guess there is a viewer for SVG images, maybe has something to do with the requirements. IMHO they totally could have done this so it worked on any web browser, cross platform. IF they wanted to. The TA interface looks just like RockAuto's website.

I ALSO found a PDF of the Jeep JK Shop Repair Manual at RockAuto as a CD for $21 plus shipping. There is no front cover, title page, nor index which I thought was strange, but it is a 102 MB searchable PDF bought from a store, and I can bring it along in my phone. DAVE GRAHAM 15JWRAC 2015-2017 Jeep Wrangler OEM Factory Repair Manual CD May not be as good as the TechAuthority, but it looks pretty similar, so I guess I'll take it. I might still need a fully comprehensive electrical manual. Was not avaialbe anywhere I looked. Please let me know if you know where I can get it.

Anyway, I realigned my search and found what I hope will be enough so I can mechanically bail myself out both on the trail and in the backyard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I should add that I've looked at a couple of sites recently... One of them is techauthority.com. they want about $130 for their version, but it doesn't include wiring diagrams and does not explicitly say that it includes Rubicon edition (which I need). Here's the full link for my manual, but note this is for a 2010: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Service Information USB - P-81-370-10063A-SUSB - Mopar Tech Authority

There's another one that I've looked at recently, but I can't quite remember the name. This one did explicitly say it was for Rubicon edition but it was for around $200.

I need to also add that I cannot recommend either of these because I don't know anything about them.

hows $209.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts