JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 key fobs with remote start, but yesterday while out in the Jeep I almost lost the one I was carrying in the woods. By a stroke of luck, I found it. It had fallen out my pocket.
Now I'm thinking I need a third key fob or third key. I'm trying to figure out if I should get a fob or just a standard key for an emergency key. Also, I'm reading mixed results on whether or not I can program the key myself if I have 2 keys. Any suggestions on the most economical and reliable place to get an aftermarket key? Should I be able to program it myself?
If I find one on eBay or somewhere online, where's the best place to get it cut? Do I need to go to a dealer for this? Sorry for the long post, never knew getting a spare key could be so complicated.

·
Super Moderator
6,209 Posts
I have 2 key fobs with remote start, but yesterday while out in the Jeep I almost lost the one I was carrying in the woods. By a stroke of luck, I found it. It had fallen out my pocket.
Now I'm thinking I need a third key fob or third key. I'm trying to figure out if I should get a fob or just a standard key for an emergency key. Also, I'm reading mixed results on whether or not I can program the key myself if I have 2 keys. Any suggestions on the most economical and reliable place to get an aftermarket key? Should I be able to program it myself?
If I find one on eBay or somewhere online, where's the best place to get it cut? Do I need to go to a dealer for this? Sorry for the long post, never knew getting a spare key could be so complicated.
wear single key fob on chain around neck.
i do since wife lost other.
change batteries every 2 years , too.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
i got a set of keys on amazon , had them cut at a hardware store and a battery plus bulbs programmed them for me ($20) . the dealership wanted $125 to program them.

·
Super Moderator
6,209 Posts
i got a set of keys on amazon , had them cut at a hardware store and a battery plus bulbs programmed them for me ($20) . the dealership wanted $125 to program them.
yes, that's easy if you've got two keys. if you've got one , you're gonna pay to have a second -and third if you're smart - programmed .
I dunno what battery plus bulbs is but any place can duplicate a set of keys for you.
we're talking about getting a 2nd if youve only got one programmed key fob .

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
yes, that's easy if you've got two keys. if you've got one , you're gonna pay to have a second -and third if you're smart - programmed .
I dunno what battery plus bulbs is but any place can duplicate a set of keys for you.
we're talking about getting a 2nd if youve only got one programmed key fob .
Batteries - Phone Repairs - Light Bulbs - Chargers - Batteries Plus Bulbs is a battery and light bulb store in the OKC area. they were able to program both new keys to the jeep so i now have three keys that all work. the pair of keys were $30 on amazon , programming was $20 so spending 50 bucks wasn't to bad .

·
Registered
247 Posts
Before I might lose one of my keys, I bought a "rock" key from justforjeeps.com. I took it to my local ACE hardware who cut it for me for $2 or so. Since I had both original keys, I was able to use them to program the new key. This particular new 3rd key doesn't have remote buttons, but it will unlock the doors and allow the engine to run. [NOTE: I just looked at the justforjeeps site, and it appears that they no longer carry the key I described. Too bad, as I thing it was about $25.]

Programming
To program your replacement key, you'll need to do the following:
  • Insert your original key (with transponder) into the ignition, and then turn it to the "ON" position.
  • Don't run your engine at this point.
  • Check for lights on the dashboard.
  • Within 5 to 15 seconds of turning your engine on, turn your engine to the "OFF" position.
  • You now have 15 seconds to insert your second key (with transponder) into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.
  • Observe the Sentry Key Immobilizer System light flash, which is represented by a red dot over the temperature gauge.
  • You have 45 seconds to turn the key to the "OFF" position.
  • Insert your new key (with transponder) into the ignition and turn it to the "ON" position.
  • Wait for an indicator sound, which should go off within 10 seconds of turning the key. The indicator light should also flash for three seconds.
  • Remove the key and programming is complete.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts