JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body seen a gear chart for the new 3.6 with 5 speed auto? I will be going with 35's and wonder how the 3.73's will hold up. Will not see rocks as I live in south Louisiana. Also how do the 3.73's do on the highway with 35's? A lot of downshifting?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The final drive is similar to the manual tranny on older JKs so you can go off that.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Noob here, how do you read that chart? I guess if you in the green your OK?
yes. So to run 37's on a 12 automatic I only need 4.56 gears. WTF over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This chart is dead on and the 3.6 is pretty wicked. I have a 2012 6spd and I still have the crappy 3.21s running 35s!! I'm currently getting 21mpg during my 120 mile / day commute. 70mph leaves me at about 1700rpm. Granted as soon as I need to pass anyone on the highway or go uphill I need to downshift out of 6th but IMO this is what a true over drive should be anyway. In today's cars it sometimes makes no sense, I have a 2012 TL 6spd and I can accelerate uphill in 6th...that's stupid. I always thought a highway overdrive gear should give you the best performance regarding mileage. Anyway, to solve my shitty offroad performance I just swapped in a rock-trac which now gets me low enough off road even with the 3.21s. I think I'm still gonna re-gear when I drop my lockers in but I'm torn between 3.73s or 4.10 (leaning towards 4.10)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got 3.73's and 35's and it's real close to being good enough. I want just a little more so am going with 4.56's. I know that I will lose a little mileage, but want some more bottom end. If it's flat in LA, I wouldn't change them.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have 37's, 3.73's and the shitastic 3.8 and my jeep is fine

·
Registered
233 Posts
The chart for the 3.8 is not quite right. I have 35s and 488s. The chart says I should be running 2756 rpm with manuel transmission. I actually run 3200 rpm at 70 mph.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't get this chart. My jk came with 3.21 and an auto and 32" tires stock. By this reasoning I should not be able to do anything with my gear set.

·
Registered
199 Posts
2012. 35's 3.73 Auto and procal for the shift points.....no problems. much better than my old 07. i'd try it first before swapping gears

and no constant downshifting. I do have KM2 35's though so they're more like 34's....or 33.75's....rides perfect for me

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I don't get this chart. My jk came with 3.21 and an auto and 32" tires stock. By this reasoning I should not be able to do anything with my gear set.
That's about right imo. I wouldn't want that setup for anything...Certainly get you a trans cooler asap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That's about right imo. I wouldn't want that setup for anything...Certainly get you a trans cooler asap.
You're used to the 3.8L. My wife's '12 with the auto, 3.21s and 33s runs great. The 80 additional h.p. makes a huge difference.

That said, I am going to 3.73s, because I can.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts