JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word has it that for 2012 an exhaust spacer is required when going with a 3.5" or taller lift.. Who makes these exhaust spacers?..

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Word has it that for 2012 an exhaust spacer is required when going with a 3.5" or taller lift.. Who makes these exhaust spacers?..
looks to me unless you have a Teraflex kit, you should be ok. Who ever makes the lift you are getting, call that company to verify. But in all honesty I would not pay $60 for that.

"Exhaust spacers are needed for all 2012 model JK Wranglers using Teraflex suspension kits with 3 or more inches of lift."

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
It's not just a Teraflex suspension thing. Watch the video on Teraflexes website. It explains what they are for pretty clearly.

Basically, the driveshaft doesn't have to droop much before it contacts the exhaust. The exhaust spacers move the crossover tube towards the back of the jeep creating much needed clearance.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
It's not just a Teraflex suspension thing. Watch the video on Teraflexes website. It explains what they are for pretty clearly.

Basically, the driveshaft doesn't have to droop much before it contacts the exhaust. The exhaust spacers move the crossover tube towards the back of the jeep creating much needed clearance.
thanks for the clarification. Just finished watching. I gotta say, kinda looks like a joke to me. $60 for that plus labor cost that a lot of people will have to pay because they can't diy. So they are going to nail you up for $60 + labor for a part that is a temporary fix.

these "spacers" should be included in the kits from the 4x4 manufacturers. I'd bet they would save them selves a whole lot of customer service grief if they did this.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Well, I pointed out I got some flares tubes which I would consider a temp fix, but still cheaper than installing an AFE crossover. However, with those fancy machined parts, I see no reason why it couldn't be a permanent solution.

As for the install, it's 4 bolts. If someone could install that, then they are in the wrong hobby. On the other hand, if you did have to pay someone to install them, it would still be fairly cheap as it only takes a few minutes, and again it would be cheaper than installing a full crossover such as the AFE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The teraflex exhaust spacers don't work with a 3.5" lift unless you want to purchase an after market driveshaft as well. The afe pipe moves the exhaust out of the way of the driveshaft. No noticeable loss in power and no change in sound.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The teraflex exhaust spacers don't work with a 3.5" lift unless you want to purchase an after market driveshaft as well. The afe pipe moves the exhaust out of the way of the driveshaft. No noticeable loss in power and no change in sound.
How do you figure it doesn't work? It outs the crossover where the older ones were which many people run more than 3.5 inch lifts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually the teraflex spacers just push the crossover back a couple inches towards the rear of the vehicle but not enough for a 3.5" lift. Unfortunately I know because i bought the spacers and found out that before I get to full droop my drive shaft is hitting the exhaust. teraflex has replied to a thread on another forum that anything over 2.5 " will need a different driveshaft even when using their spacers.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Actually the teraflex spacers just push the crossover back a couple inches towards the rear of the vehicle but not enough for a 3.5" lift. Unfortunately I know because i bought the spacers and found out that before I get to full droop my drive shaft is hitting the exhaust. teraflex has replied to a thread on another forum that anything over 2.5 " will need a different driveshaft even when using their spacers.
Manual or auto? That's interesting

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Ok, the video shows the limits of the driveshaft angles, which is about the limit of the exhaust so it makes sense. That's not really different than ever before though either. If you lift very far, the JK driveshafts have never liked much angle. I had to replace both of mine in my 09 with about 3 inches of lift due to the angles burning up those joints.

Point is, an aFe crossover wouldn't solve the issue either. Only a new driveshaft would.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It corrects the fact that your driveshaft won't hit the exhaust. As far as the joints go , I can't comment as this is my first jk and haven't been to the woods with it yet to test . I was just trying to save someone the surprise of buying the spacers and then realizing that the driveshaft still hits.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On my 2012 JKU Rubicon that has an RK 3.5" xfactor mid arm suspension, I had to use the aFe y-pipe and a Coast aftermarket front driveshaft. My suspension has so much droop that even with the aftermarket driveshaft, I only had about 1/4" clearance before the driveshaft hit the exhaust. I had to move the crossover exhaust with the aFe y-pipe.

Auto part Exhaust system Automotive exhaust Muffler Pipe

Muffler Bumper Auto part

There is no way that the Teraflex kit would have worked.
Here are a couple of pictures of the aFe y-pipe installed on my JK. You can see in the first picture that the aftermarket driveshaft is nowhere near the exhaust now.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
So I can only imagine that with an 3.5 RK long arm kit (which I hope to put on my 12) this would be the only option? Also would this fix the problem with the exhaust interfering with the mounts or is that a whole other issue?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I read someplace that the long arm companies are making new exhausts to work with their systems. I can't remember where I read that though so I may be pulling something out of my ass.:laughing:

Either way, it would almost certainly require substantial redesign of the exhaust though. Give it a bit of time and parts will be available.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.