JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes, they are nice. I got my hands on the first few sett's available in red. Like the red and will match the rest of the build of the Jeep. Now we just got to wait for the Jeep to be build. Still 3 weeks to delivery.

Good luck with the install I have read true all the install threads so can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have that skid system and love it. Nothing like being confident everything underneath is protected.

I also have their Rockstars- rear LCA skids that move the shock mount upward 1.5"... very much a fan of those, as well... and eventually I'll actually replace the shock that I crushed which led me to get the Rockstars...

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it took me a little over 4 hours to do this today. It would have been much quicker, but I have the AFE Y Pipe in place. So I had to mod the trans skid and pssd trans mounting bracket.

Everything was well packaged and showed up fast.

So, if you have a AFE Y pipe, this will work, you either have to wait for EVO to come out with a revision to fit this integration OR mod it yourself...like I did.

Here's the trans skid after I cut and drilled a new hole. I also primed/ painted.

You can see the clerance I allowed for on the pssd.

Once I cut the pssd trans mount bracket down, it cleared the Y pipe easily. I did have to allow a spacer (used a nut and 2 washers) to make up for the new angle of the bracket to trans skid. very easy to do.

looks like enough clerance to clear the driveshaft. I'll flex it up this weekend to clarify.

Bugle pipe is well protected and that skid mounts up with AVE drop brackets without issue. Fits perfect.

That Oilpan skid is a work of art!

I will say, it is best to tape off the corners so you don;t loose the bolts in there.

I did not drain teh oil to do this either. The truck had not been driven today, so the oil was cool if the RTV gasket were to let loose. I was just cautious about hitting it. Oilpan only took about 15 minutes.

Once I get this truck up on a ramp, I'll get better pics. If anyone needs a specific pic, let me know.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Do you have a 2 door or 4 door?? I have read on some other forums that on the 2 door you will need to cut a peace off of the bracket at the gass tank skid. Is that try?? We got a 2 door on order.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Very sweet skid system. I relly like the oilpan skid.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a 2 door or 4 door?? I have read on some other forums that on the 2 door you will need to cut a peace off of the bracket at the gass tank skid. Is that try?? We got a 2 door on order.
mine is a 4 door. This is my 1st install on teh EVO skids. So I have no first hand experience on a 2 door yet.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTT. After pounding on these skids for 7 days in Moab, I can report that they are pretty much bombproof!! :bounce:

The protech skids are all bolt on. I hit where the bugle pipe is located and rolled a basketball sized rock on a climb. Had that EVo skid not been in place, it would have been toast.

The weld on skids for the front LCA's are pretty low profile, so not much to report on those. I slids on a ledge and scraped one, but no dents or deformations. ...just paint. I did manage to hit one of the rear weld on shock skids. Again, no issues and did their job.

if you are thinking about 2012 skids, give these a look. Great product from a great manufact.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Looks good....Q. Does the oil pan/belly part of the skid work with the stock cross member, or only with the EVO cross member shield?

Thanks....
-Ben

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just finish the install of these on our Jeep. Got them last year when they was released, but only got the Jeep 4 weeks ago. I have to say they look great!!

The oil pan skid is easy to install if you take your time and tape the corners to prevent the bolts from falling in.

The transmission skid was a different story. To get the 2 nuts off that secure the auto transmission is a real pain in the butt plus it took me about 40 minutes to get off. I also lost all the skin on my knuckles. The transfer case skid plate need to be removed, but will be re-used. The transmission skid bar will not work with these and need to be taken of and you discard them.

The last part, transmission and exhaust skid is very easy to install.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Badger, the crossmember skid is not required for oil pan and trans pan skids.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks good....Q. Does the oil pan/belly part of the skid work with the stock cross member, or only with the EVO cross member shield?

Thanks....
-Ben
oil pan mounts by itself.

next is the trans line skid. you can use it ot not

next is that crossmember skid. you can mount with ot without the trans line skid.

lmk if you want to see these. I'm in Parker at least once a week.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The AEV drop brackets didn't offset the skid enough to misalign all the other mounting points? I've also got an AEV lift and AFE Y-pipe and hope I can make this work like you have.
pretty easy to do, ince you figure out your measurement. It did add some time to figure it all out and cut/ drill to make it work with the Y pipe, but it works great. no contact anywhere after my mods.

The AEV drop brackets did not cause any issues at all. they fit/ work great with those.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.