JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 2010 JKU Mountain Edition did not sound like an original Jeep horn, it sounded like a wounded goose. After some research here and a little internet digging, I went with a Stebel compact Nautilus truck horn. It is a single tone @ 300Hz and 110db = plenty danged loud enough! I didn't want the extra work of mounting an air system for big trumpets. It does require the use of a relay and the wiring is fairly straight forward. I also used someone's write up from here to understand the wiring diagram better and to get a grasp on which relay tabs were wired to what things. It took a total of about an hour to do it for me, as I do not often wire anything. The end result is a nice, low, loud, manly horn for the Jeep that triggers off the OEM horn button, powered direct from the battery with a 30 amp fuse and heavy gauge wire.

I got it off of eGay, but now wish I had given the venders here the opportunity to match, or more likely beat the price with shipping I got ($75.00).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I also have a stebel, mounted it in the cavity of my front bumper. Funny that at work we put these on motorcycles .

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is it me or does this horn sound like the original horn from back in the day? :) I notice I have trouble tapping it to get the car in front of me going though, so it sounds like I am being obnoxious (which I am), but I don't want to appear that I am. What mods are folks doing?
Also, you cannot "tap" the 2011 JK Wrangler horn. The horn button is computer controlled, and is way too stiff. Notice when hitting the horn, there is a split-second delay, before the horn sounds, which I find very annoying, and the horn button spring assembly is so hard, you cannot give the horn just a "little tap.

So far, after searching many forums, there is no way to fix this.

Still, the PIAA Sport Horns are really nice horns.

Mabar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts