JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the link in this thread
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=106651#post106651

"The standard engine is a new flexible-fuel 3.6-liter V-6 engine. The 3.6-liter V-6 engine is a completely new, state of the art design with double overhead camshafts (DOHC) and a high-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block in a 60-degree configuration. It has Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) and delivers 280 horsepower (209 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 N•m) @ 4,800 rpm, compared with the 2009 Grand Cherokee’s 3.7 liter’s 210 hp and 235 lb-ft of torque — yet, it improves fuel economy up to 11%."

Does this mean the JK's will get a new 3.6 engine in 2011/2012? Sounds like it to me!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I just read that article and thought the same thing. I hope they put it in there seeing as we will never likely get a v8.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This from the allpar site.

Size Line Cars
3.0 V6 Base
Premium
Direct Injection
MDS
Export models (four different varieties are apparently planned though volume will probably be low)
3.3 V6 VVT Sebring, Avenger, Minivans
3.3 V6 Direct Injection Challenger, Charger, Minivans, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Aspen
3.3 V6 DI/HEV Sebring, Avenger, 300, Minivans
3.3 V6 MDS Sebring, Avenger, Minivans
3.6 V6 VVT Multiple models
3.6 V6 Direct Injection Ram, Wrangler
3.6 V6 MDS Challenger, Charger, 300, Minivans, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Aspen
3.6 V6 HEV Minivans
3.6 V6 PZEV Sebring, Avenger, Minivans
4.0 V6 Base (no VVT) marine use
4.0 V6 Premium, MDS, no VVT marine use
4.7 V8 VVT Ram, Charger, 300, Dakota, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Aspen

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Yeah- the new Phoenix engine looks to be making some healthy changes throughout the entire Chrysler spectrum. I don't think it'll be too much of a torquer, but more of a nice all around engine. More of an on-road engine, by design- Mark W.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Yeah- the new Phoenix engine looks to be making some healthy changes throughout the entire Chrysler spectrum. I don't think it'll be too much of a torquer, but more of a nice all around engine. More of an on-road engine, by design- Mark W.
i'm going to go out on a limb and say it can't be much more of a "on road engine" than our 3.8 from the minivans.

It has to be better than what we have.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hah- touche :) This is true- the 3.8 is an appliance at best. The Phoenix series looks to be a PROPER V6 with lots of very nice touches, no OHV 12 valve POS 3.8L :) Mark W.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The only part of the new engine I don't like is the MDS. I know the technology has been around for years. I'm just not convinced of it's effectiveness when the JK is modified with suspension and larger wheels, where more power/torque is constantly needed to push through the extra drag.

"Chrysler wrote that: “The new Phoenix of V-6 engines will feature cylinder deactivation (MDS)...the engine will operate efficiently on three cylinders when less power is needed, and in V-6 mode when more power is needed. This optimizes fuel economy when V-6 power is not required – without sacrificing vehicle performance or capability." click for more info.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The MDS only kicks in when there isn't a load. In other words, when it's idling or coasting it would drop to 3 cylinders.

City driving, idling on the trail. I think it would be good. I don't see where it could hurt anyway.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The only part of the new engine I don't like is the MDS. I know the technology has been around for years. I'm just not convinced of it's effectiveness when the JK is modified with suspension and larger wheels, where more power/torque is constantly needed to push through the extra drag.

"Chrysler wrote that: “The new Phoenix of V-6 engines will feature cylinder deactivation (MDS)...the engine will operate efficiently on three cylinders when less power is needed, and in V-6 mode when more power is needed. This optimizes fuel economy when V-6 power is not required – without sacrificing vehicle performance or capability." click for more info.

According to the list that I posted the wrangler won't get MDS. Their is different versions of the same engine.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I doubt they'd put MDS in the Wrangler- the system doesn't work quickly enough to be mated with a manual transmission, so it certainly wouldn't be in most Wranglers. In the auto's, who knows? It's all conjecture for now- Mark W.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Screw a new gas engine...gimme a diesel :smokin:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe with this new motor when you put performance mods on you will gain noticable hp and tq. The only way to get something really noticable now is putting in a V-8. or falling off a cliff...Great accelaration then. ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Agreed on the diesel- as long as they could make the throttle response/mapping acceptable, that'd be a GREAT Wrangler. Plus you could always get more power and MPG out of a diesel. My worry would be that some jackass would put smokestacks on a Wrangler- yuck! Or people on the trail spewing black smoke everywhere- that'd shut us out of a lot of places because some redneck thinks it's COOL- idiots... :) Mark W.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
A diesel would be way cool. Imagine the torque...

The problem is with all the emissions stuff that is required. It would raise the price considerably, and hurts that fuel economy.

In other words, as much as I'd love a diesel, I'm thinking a good running gas engine would be a better option.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'll take the diesel,the increased cost to buy,and live happily ever after in the land of torque.:smokin:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Oz- a diesel would IMPROVE fuel economy, dude. Especially since it would likely have enough torque to get the darn Wrangler out of its own way on stock tires, unlike the 3.8, so real-world mileage would also improve, although for the rock crawlers, it might get a bit worse- ya never know! Mark W.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts