JKOwners Forum banner

2010 JKU Headlight Flashes 4x and Cuts Off ***My Solution***

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RMY 
#1 ·
First post I apologies if this posted elsewhere on this forum:

Issue: when starting the vehicle the headlights flashed 4-5 times in sequential increments and cut off and never come back on. Same issue every time I would start the vehicle.

Research on numerous platforms identified the TIPM as the culprit.

Solution for my case: (Today, 6 July 2020)

Disconnect the battery cables and zip tied the positive cable clamp to the negative clamp.

I disconnected the TIPM and fully removed it from the engine bay to inspect for possible issues. I could see numerous Knicks in two of the cable wiring harnesses.

I wiped the cable clean with a damp cloth and mean green degreaser and wrapped the exposed areas with electrical tape.

I sprayed the cable female ends with electrical component cleaner (not the TIPM). The cleaner is alochol based so it dries fast but I still gave it some extra time to ensure no moisture was present.

I loaded the female end with dialectic grease and reassembled everything.

Started the Jeep up and so far the issue is fully resolved.

Hope this helps anyone that's been scratching their head over this issue. Nothing worse than having to get home before dark because your lights don't work or not being seen in heavy rainfall. I'll update this thread with any changes.

Pics below show TIPM cables with knicks. Possibly from getting pinched under the TIPM and exposed over time.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if perhaps trying the batteries cables overnight would have fixed the issue before diving into the TIPM. I would have tried that first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#4 ·
First post I apologies if this posted elsewhere on this forum:

Issue: when starting the vehicle the headlights flashed 4-5 times in sequential increments and cut off and never come back on. Same issue every time I would start the vehicle.

Research on numerous platforms identified the TIPM as the culprit.

Solution for my case: (Today, 6 July 2020)

Disconnect the battery cables and zip tied the positive cable clamp to the negative clamp.

I disconnected the TIPM and fully removed it from the engine bay to inspect for possible issues. I could see numerous Knicks in two of the cable wiring harnesses.

I wiped the cable clean with a damp cloth and mean green degreaser and wrapped the exposed areas with electrical tape.

I sprayed the cable female ends with electrical component cleaner (not the TIPM). The cleaner is alochol based so it dries fast but I still gave it some extra time to ensure no moisture was present.

I loaded the female end with dialectic grease and reassembled everything.

Started the Jeep up and so far the issue is fully resolved.

Hope this helps anyone that's been scratching their head over this issue. Nothing worse than having to get home before dark because your lights don't work or not being seen in heavy rainfall. I'll update this thread with any changes.

Pics below show TIPM cables with knicks. Possibly from getting pinched under the TIPM and exposed over time.
View attachment 364358 View attachment 364359

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.