JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Finally after a few years of waiting and getting side tracked with numerous other projects, I've started on the Hemi swap.
Last year I worked on the axles and suspension. The axles are completely rebuilt with 5.13 gears and a locker bypass. I have a 2.5" Teraflex lift with Fox shocks and 35" tires.
I know I'm going to need lots of help along the way, so I'm hoping some of you here already have the swap and the input will be invaluable.

The engine and transmission donor is a 2006 Commander. Which has a 160k miles. Yes, I know that's a lot of miles, unfortunately I'm on a very limited budget and that's what I could afford right now. Also I'm pretty impulsive with buying vehicles and if I waited to get something with lower miles, I'd likely just spend that money on something else.

The engine is getting a new oil pump, water pump, timing components exhaust manifolds/gaskets, plus a few other gaskets and seals and the usual tune up stuff. Transmission is getting new filters, sensors, and a new oil pan with a drain.

Commander was hit in the front and I did run the engine. I runs well with no unusual noises.
I have the JSS bolt in mounts, plus a few other items from them.
This will be a budget build and I'll do all the work.

I also think those fender flares look stupid, but that's for another time.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spent a solid 10 hours today wrenching on the engine. Got a lot done, but a bit more to go. Still waiting on some parts so it'll be a couple of weeks till I'm ready for the actual swap. Plus there's some frame work I need to do on the Wrangler. It was wrecked, but does have a clean title.
Questions for now are:
How will the throttle work. The commander has an electric one.
Is anyone running the stock radiator with their swap. How's that working out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe this is common knowledge, but it's new to me. An easy place to get your oil pressure for a separate gauge is a threaded galley just above the oil temp sender by the filter. This is connected to the inlet side of the filter, same as the stock oil presser sensor. It's the plug in the picture.
Easy. It's nice when something is easy!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Found out that big ol' sender for the OP gauge will not fit because of the oil temp sensor. I considered adding a 90 or a 45 to move it out of the way, but decided to just swap locations. So I moved the OP sensor up and put the OP gauge sender in it's place. Now lots of room.
Will that work? I think so. Do I know for sure? Nope. Guess we'll find out.:)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts