JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it time for a rebuild already?

She's had an easy life, very little towing and off road, and synthetic tranny fluid.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Is it time for a rebuild already?

She's had an easy life, very little towing and off road, and synthetic tranny fluid.
By synthetic, do you mean ATF+4? That's the only thing you should be using in your 42RLE, if that's the transmission you have.

First thing to check is the fluid level; warmed up, engine idling, in park.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
as ronjenx stated, test the level of fluid while warmed-up , in park & running ; I , too, just had 84k in a 4 door '11 w/ 42rle and have only run Mopar ATF+4 up to 80k ; i moved to the Amsoil ATF+4 recently -not for any reason except I bulk order oil,filters, gear oil from them so might as well get it all from the same place - & have no issues. I would immediately suspect it is low or needs a fluid flush and filter if you haven't done so yet. I cant recall the interval the User Manual states to have it changed but I follow the severe use intervals on mine; I flushed and changed tranny fluid at 60k as I recall, but I am OCD about things like this . I wheel mine hard but am checking oil & tranny fluid levels every gas fill-up ( weekly at least...) I can taste when it is time to change my motor oil. heh

let us know what the level read when you checked it warm....pix are awesome.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It had Amsoil ATF4 for a 50K miles, now it has generic synth ATF4 in it that was just replaced and is still slipping and has more hesitation before changing gears.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It had Amsoil ATF4 for a 50K miles, now it has generic synth ATF4 in it that was just replaced and is still slipping and has more hesitation before changing gears.
If it's not one of these, that could be part of the problem:

Please note Licensed ATF+4® Brands have been updated as of December 2015.

Advance Auto Parts ATF+4®
Amalie ATF+4®
AutoPride ATF+4®
Auto Extra ATF+4®
AutoZone ATF+4®
Carquest ATF+4®
Castrol ATF+4®
Castrol Transmax +4 ATF+4®
Castrol Transmax ATF+4®
Chevron ATF+4®
CITGO Transgard ATF+4®
Federated Auto Parts ATF+4®
Great Wall ATF+4®
Havoline ATF+4®
MAG 1 ATF+4®
Mobil ATF+4®
Mopar ATF+4®
Motomaster ATF+4®
Motorlife ATF+4®
NAPA ATF+4®
Northland ATF+4®
O’Reilly ATF+4®
Parts Master ATF+4®
Parts Plus ATF+4®
Pennzoil ATF+4®
Pennzoil Platinum ATF+4®
Petro-Canada ATF+4®
Prime Guard ATF+4®
Proline ATF+4®
Pronto ATF+4®
Pure Guard ATF+4®
Quaker State ATF+4®
Rallye ATF+4®
Ravenol ATF+4®
Sinopec ATF+4®
STP ATF+4®
Super Tech ATF+4®
Tutela Transmission Force4 ATF+4®
Value Tech ATF+4®
Valvoline ATF+4®

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To the original question, what kind of mileage are we getting from the early Auto trans?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
To the original question, what kind of mileage are we getting from the early Auto trans?
I have 116,000 miles on mine; no problems. I have changed the fluid and filter twice since new.
But then, it has had only ATF+4 in it from the list above; MOPAR and Valvoline.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts