JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to help my brother in law do a big build on a JK Unlimited(Motech LS swap, Atlas, D60's, Metal Cloak lift, 37's, armor, etc...) and I am suggesting we look for a cheap 07 that is in decent shape, but maybe high mileage. We are also planning on Katzkin leather seats and some type of a Nav based radio in the build.

With the goal of swapping basically all the drive train, axles and suspension for new, is there any major differences between an 07 and a later? I know in 2011 the interior changed to the current interior, but thats about the only major change to the basic JK I know of. Im not counting the change from the 3.8 to the 3.6 because the motor and trans is getting swapped(he's dead set on this aspect so no need to even debate 3.8 vs. 3.6 or that the 3.6 is good enough, etc...).

Ive got a 14 Rubi Unlimited so I am familiar with JK's, just didnt know if there were any major changes(besides interior) that would push me to look at an 08, 09, 10, etc... over a cheap 07.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that drive train and interior is the only difference. I'd look for something that has a blown up engine regardless of year.
Thats what i was thinking, just wasnt sure if I was over looking something.

I know steering boxes changed, but I believe we are going to go with the full PSC hydro assist setup including one of their replacement boxes, so not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I had to make the same decision except I had a '07 that was already modded. After seeing the '11's I wanted the new interior. So found a '11 that had good mods done already, some that I could remove and sell to recoup costs.

One reason I went to a '11 rather than a 12 or newer was the engine, you really can't give away a 3.6, just ask Robbie at Motec but their is a market for the 3.8's. Besides they are both POS IMO.

Now to get time to put in the '12lcp-6l80e that's been at my shop for 2 years:(.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
might also consider looking for a 2wd unlimited at that. should be cheaper... and since you're going to replace everything anyway, why waste money? you could even use the dead front axle as a base for a trailer axle later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some of the things I've noticed with my 2007:
Windows on the hard top are a bit smaller
No hard top latch in the front center for the freedom panels, and the footman loop is moved over slightly.
Soft top factory door surrounds (for like 2007-2009? idk) aren't spring loaded and you have to fold the soft top under the surrounds, rather than having a nice and easy cable
3.8l instead of 3.6l
4 speed auto instead of 5 speed auto
No TPMS (2007 only)
There were 2wd models
Some had a D35 rear axle, but I believe this was only the early 2007's and only the 2 door x model, so that doesn't apply to you i guess.
I think that's basically it though. Most of this you sound like you are replacing anyway so *shrug*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts