JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So I finally started my project! I used Farm Strong mid mount motor mounts. I spent several hours after work mocking them up and just welded them in this afternoon. A little background; I've always owned Jeeps, since 1980.. For the last ten years or so i have been longing to put a diesel in one so, parts collection began. Finally found the right Jeep early last spring (2019). And started the assembly process three weeks ago. I have enjoyed the forums here and thought I'd share mine in the hopes that it will promote others to take on the challange. Disclosure, I'm not a mechanic (Ret PSP Corporal), just very fond of Jeeps & Cummins.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going with an NV4500, had everything mocked up last week and the only real problem I can see is that I'll have to bend/Angle the shifter back. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Any helpful hints would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, I have a few more things to do but tonight I just couldn't wait and I turned the key.. it turned over very well, I left the fuel shut-off power wire disconnected. Just wanted to hear it crank over. Should be able to start/drive it soon. Things to do; lower rad hose, temp/oil sensor and vacuum pump wiring.

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
What's the weight difference between oem v6 ( was it 3.8l? or '12 or newer JK?) & that BT4?
I , too, am impressed by how well that fits in the jk engine bay. I've seen other bt4 conversions but yours really shows the space it's occupied.
Will it shake , probably a bit but so far , super cool

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good evening! I spent a lot of time today attempting to create my lower radiator hose and so far unsuccessful. So I couldn't wait any longer, I just had to see if it would start.... Well, I don't think it made a complete revolution and it was roaring like a Cummins should. I am very happy about that as you might imagine. It really didn't seem to have much vibration, and I actually started it about three times and it sounded really awesome. Don't know how to post a video of it but I do have a few of them. So, tomorrow I will continue my journey in search of the right components to create this lower rad hose. If anybody has any suggestions or comments regarding the hose or anything else please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
record your video , upload it either public or unlisted to YouTube , then copy the "Share" url for it into the body of a comment such as this one= video posted to your thread. :)

checkout this link for bruiserconversions

you'll find the site in google results if you search " Jeep JK Cummins BT4 " ... they did one like yours years ago.

the page for it states
"The factory radiator and fan assembly are retained. The 4BT does not require an extreme cooling system to maintain the proper temperature range of 180-degrees F. The lower water neck is replaced with a custom-built neck that allows you to re-use the factory lower hose from the 3.8L. The upper hose is replaced."

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Thanks! I believe the Cummins is about 370 lbs heavier than the original 3.8 l but not exactly sure. I'm doing my coolant hoses now so I haven't really started it yet. Hope to do that soon once I get the lower radiator hose figured out.
I made my own for a Hemi swap. Two silicone adapter couplings and some 304 stainless tubing, etc. No leaks! Here's the link:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the delay. I drove the Jeep to the alignment shop yesterday and I will be taking it for the exhaust install late this afternoon. So, I have only put about three miles on it but everything worked very well. Way too loud with the down pipe only. A few more little things to do, I'd like to get the tach working. Will update soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys for all the help/advice! Lower radiator hose is done coolant is in :) fuel shut off solenoid connected properly now. Today I need to attach my cable to the throttle pedal and hopefully take it for a ride. I was able to get a friend of mine to make a couple of adapters, one is two and a quarter down to 2™ and the other 2-in down to 1.75 and then the final one to an inch and a half. They were all 4-in adapters out of exhaust pipe. So apparently now I need to have the computer reprogrammed to have the electric fans come on prior to the original 230° setting or whatever it is. I've already talked to a local shop who can take off the dash lights using his computer, so hopefully he can make that adjustment also

·
Registered
2010 JKU Sahara
1 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I drove the Jeep to the alignment shop yesterday and I will be taking it for the exhaust install late this afternoon. So, I have only put about three miles on it but everything worked very well. Way too loud with the down pipe only. A few more little things to do, I'd like to get the tach working. Will update soon.
Following your thread and progress. How are you hooking up the tach, through the ECU or standalone? Will you still have ABS, Airbags, A/C? This is the one swap issue I cannot find good information on. I've read about some people using custom built reluctor rings with the JK CPS (crank position sensor) to activate the ECU. From what I can tell the problem is JKs use a goofy 36 tooth ring with an uneven pattern and I can't find anyone that makes them or specs to make my own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts