JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I was not sure whom he was bashing but saving some cash and trying new things it what it’s all about glad yours work mine went great two I think I’m going to put powered by mini van engine sticker on next time lol.
Jason, saw your post on the Caravan engine swap and hoped you might be able to help and send some words of encouragement ! I just picked an 08 wrangler 4 dr. like you for 4k with 227k miles. It has engine light and codes, possible cat issues, etc...haven't run compression checks yet. Anyway, my first thought was pull the motor and do an engine swap but then I saw the prices of new & rebuilt motors and it was nuts...I'm used to cheap Chevy 350's. You are correct about the caravan motors being much cheaper and I'd really like to go that direction and keep the costs down.
From what I read in your post, you did it and it turned out well with maybe some mild fabrication ?? Could you shed some light on moving the oil filter, did you simply run a remote ? Did front timing cover from the jeep ( with filter mount) not fit ? I'd really appreciate any insight / recommendations you might have. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Wrangler (Rubi)
3 Posts
Read THIS.... I may have just set up my account today, but I am no stranger to engine swaps and have done plenty myself including LS swap in C-K10 pickups, Rx-7, etc.

Parts required to do swap:
  • Original Jeep Oil Pan (minivan doesn't have the block support on the bottom of the engine or the windage tray as some refer to it.
  • Front Engine Cover from Wrangler (Grand Caravan engine cover water pump is different and the oil filter is on the driver's side of the block)
  • Exhaust from Wrangler (Grand Caravan is a cross-over style)
  • Fuel Rail from Wrangler (Grand Caravan is slightly different but would work if you don't have one with minor modifications)
  • Block off plug for oil filter relocation on the Grand Caravan engine (It is installed on your Wrangler block already)
    • This step requires the removal of the oil filter adapter section that is bolted to the block of the driver's side of the grand caravan block
    • Removal of the block off plug from side of Wrangler block in the same location (Requires removal of the engine mount from Wrangler to see it)
    • The Block off area is already threaded on both engines so no threading is required to use the block-off plug on the new engine.
  • Intake Block off (evap sensor tube)
    • If you are keeping your evap system head swap is required
      • At the back of the passenger side (Jeep) head and on the minivan engine (Left head facing front pulley) check for evap sensor on each vehicle and there is an evap solenoid on the wrangler, but not on the grand caravan.
      • If you are swapping the heads please swap the lifters at this step. They are a pain in the butt to replace (require head removal) if one goes bad in your used engine
  • Evap removal (permanent check engine light)
So after installing the minivan engine in mine, heads are different. The evap solenoid will not be on the minivan engine and cause check engine light problems. I first looked at them and assumed that the engine will not work in the Jeep, but even the motor mounts bolted. I put the block off plate from the minivan on my Jeep and away I went. New bearings, timing chain, front cover, rear main seal, oil pan, exhausts (as all the manifolds crack on the JK), and gasket kit. Outside of that I personally have done the swap. That is all I can remember about the swap. I did mine in November for the JK and this model is the first 2 door Wrangler I have done. Most of my wrangler experience is on a JKU.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Wrangler (Rubi)
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Yes sir. I was only adding information as there seemed to not be a whole lot of information on this topic. I know the topic was a dead tread but instead of starting one I just revived one that someone added information on 7 months ago even though the tread was from 2015. These used engines people have lost their mind lately. 2800 for a used Wrangler engine but 850 for a Grand Caravan. Ill gladly deal with a check engine light over having my freedom machine back in action.

·
Registered
2 Posts
gdpagel if doesn’t bother I will like to get in touch with you I just bought a jk I need to replace the engine soon, I will like to do what you did I need some advice thanks
Hey sorry to bother.. if you can Give me some details i would greatly appreciate it as well. Doing some research found that the 2009-2011 VW Routan has the same exact 3.8l chrysler engine as the same years Town and Country..priced less than dodge, chrysler, or jeep ..
In desperate need of help..
Any point in the right direction please and thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
T-B1, I went picking through blocks and also noticed that same info. The Routan is the same block casting so like the caravan you will have to block off some ports since there are a few mounting locations for the oil filter mount I used a caravan block because it was available in my area and was half the price of a used wrangler 3.8. Either way you will want the block machined, line honed, decked, honed/bored. Even the 60k mile block I picked up needed mains, cam, and deck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
T-B1, I went picking through blocks and also noticed that same info. The Routan is the same block casting so like the caravan you will have to block off some ports since there are a few mounting locations for the oil filter mount I used a caravan block because it was available in my area and was half the price of a used wrangler 3.8. Either way you will want the block machined, line honed, decked, honed/bored. Even the 60k mile block I picked up needed mains, cam, and deck.
Thanks

21 - 27 of 27 Posts