JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that the 3.8 Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country motors are less than half of what the used Jeep motor is. If I bought a minivan 3.8L from 2007-2012, would it work in a 2007 Wrangler? I figure I would have to swap some parts off the motors, but is it doable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have included this...A local shop told me I could by their Caravan engine (2009) and they would change everything out and put the new engine for $600. I am considering it, but do not want to cause a bigger problem. I cannot find anything that says this works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There have been two different guys in the local jeep group swap in caravan 3.8's to replace the Jeep ones. From what was said as long as the 3.8 is from a 2007 or newer the block is the same, then you just have to swap front covers, intakes and pretty well all of the external parts lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I might give it a shot. A $600 minivan engine instead of a $2000 Jeep engine will be worth a shot. Even if I pay the guys $600 for the swap, I am coming out ahead.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Thanks, I might give it a shot. A $600 minivan engine instead of a $2000 Jeep engine will be worth a shot. Even if I pay the guys $600 for the swap, I am coming out ahead.
I dig it! :rockon:

Please update this thread with your results. As long as it's '07-up, you should be good to go (swapping the externals over, obviously).

I'm assuming my 1-gallon hamster habitat will shit itself soon, and I've noticed the "minivan" V6 (same-same) doesn't carry the cost premium that the "Jeep" V6 does.

I'm not too proud to save a grand on semantics :laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
well I guess I stuck my foot in my mouth, turns out the one guy had hydrolocked his and bent a rod. He just used all the internals in his original block and the other guy sent me this message on facebook "Hey man! No, it required some machining to make work. Some of the engine mounts are different. The rough bosses were there, but needed to be milled flat, drilled & tapped. The dipstick hole is also in a different spot. There was one other hole that needed to be tapped or something....can’t remember. I ultimately used another JK 3.8."

so Sorry to get your hopes up, I was under the impression that they both had made it work.

personally my 3.8 is tired and I'm gathering parts to do a L83/8L90 swap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, you saved me some headache. I am going to give up on this option. I went and looked at it but could tell there were more differences than just swapping external parts so I did not buy it. I told them I would do more research first and might be back later. This helped my decision big time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts