JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was looking at this a while back, and found Baja Designs LED lights which are the size of the SR series, but put out more light, and have a high/low/strobe mode. The lenses are also interchangeable by the user if you want more spot beams, or more wide driving beams.

Also every shop I talked to could get me Baja Designs in about a week, compared to Rigid in about a month.

Between the E and SR series you only get 20% more light with the E series, but it is 30% more. Based on this I would go with the SR series.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just got this LED bar, the E series, and was experimenting with mounting options. Here are a few quick cell phone pictures of the light output...the light bar is sitting on the cowl area for these shots.

Stock high beams in my shop:

Light bar:

stock lights outside:

Light bar:

Sorry for the huge pictures!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm a big fan of LEDs, and I especially like the stuff that Rigid Industries uses! It has a mil-spec/aerospace quality to it and nicely integrates fin-type heat sinks. On top of that it has a thermal control circuit that will auto-attenuate power based on thermal threshold. That makes them small but dense. When off, and especially when covered, they are fairly inconspicuous. Their warranty seems liberal, and their support is responsive (I asked questions by email).

For my setup I went with two pairs of Duallys (4 of the 2x2 housings) and a 10" e-Series bar. The bar and one set of the Duallys are the flood variety. The other pair is a spot configuration. All units feature 3W Osram & Cree LEDs.

(they formed a union last April if interested)
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/news/8/4/1

Anyhow, I just bought a new set of bumpers with their placement in mind. For the front, I went "Body Armor 4x4" (because I wanted their optional skid plate). The Dually floods are mounted low and on the bumper ends, canted out 15 degrees. The 10" e-Series bar is mounted a bit higher on the winch plate mount (custom bracket). The last set of spots will go on the bull bar, center-mounted (need to wire those in still).

Since I ditched the factory bumper and fogs, I decided to mount all of the flood lights with the factory harness. It works great! Total draw is a bit less than 5 amps (about 1 amp each for the individual units and a big more than 2 amps for the bar). The 20 degree flood pattern produces a great field of light, but you can only use them off-road -- or treat them like high-beams. They will blind oncoming traffic!

I considered a large top-mount bar but went this route instead. If you go with the 20" combo, I'd like to hear how it works out for you. I'm sure you'll be happy.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
You'll get more distance out of the E Series. the SR series is still very bright though. If you ar elooking to get a longer range, go with the E series for sure. you can also get an amber cover for that E Sereis, so if you get into snow, fog, you can clip those on those. very happy with the RI quality.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I swapped out my spot Duallys and bought some D2s. These spots are mounted on my bull bar. The difference in light with six LEDs (only two more 3W LEDs per housing) is substantial.

Final setup: Dually floods, e-Series 10" bar flood, and a pair of D2 spots. I ran the spots on a second circuit since they have to be covered when not off-road. If you don't have the same law, all could be run on the factory fog harness. Total draw for all five housings is well under 10 amps!

I'm taking them on a trial night run tomorrow. Big Bear's Cactus Flats to Yucca Valley's Pioneer Town and back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point this is what I am leaning towards, but still undecided on a set a D2 Duallys for my pillars in spot beam, a 20" E series spot/flood combo for the front bumper and a 6" E series diffused pattern the my rear AEV light bar. I think the diffused 6", will work great for setting up camp.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Just a note on the D2's... If I were you, you might want to look at the D2's in the driving beam. They have great usable light... JMO

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just a note on the D2's... If I were you, you might want to look at the D2's in the driving beam. They have great usable light... JMO
You're right, the D2 spots setup as a driving beam are wonderful. I just got back from 11 hours of driving; the night run was awesome!

My D2s are center-mounted on my bull bar just higher than the headlamps. With the LEDs on, the headlamps contribute very little. I'm impressed. This really changes my feelings about running trails in the late afternoon. We always hustle to be off the trail by sunset. Now, I'll be doing more night runs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.