JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my stock 2013 2dr Rubi urban commuter....it's a blast to drive, love rowing through the gears, and it's fairly impressive off-road.....so far, it's only been a few trips of light wheeling, limited crawling, but it does well......I like the idea of throwing on a small lift down the road, some 35's, and having a fun daily driver that can rock most trails on the weekend.....

Only issue, I have two small kiddos, and at 40, I have to crawl in the back seat to get them all buckled in the mornings.....and I like the added size and full door of a 4 door for safety.....the only challenge is the wheelbase of the unlimited would seem to support the need to an even larger tire and more work to run the same trails.....granted, always wanted 1 tons, but that is an expensive course of action.

Long story short, considering trading the base 2013 2 door rubi for a 2015 base unlimited 4 door rubi......everything else is alike, both manual, soft top....base rubi.....any thoughts appreciated....the 2 door is more fun to drive and less mods to do more offroad, but the 4 door is bigger, safer for rear passengers and much easier as a daily/child carrying commuter....really split....oh, and the 4 door is obviously a little more expensive.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
I will remind you kind sir, the kiddos will grow up and none of that will matter. You have the tilt and tumble front seats. By the time you even start etching away at the additional debt you created for yourself, the two door will nearly be paid off. I had the same internal debate, but now my kids climb up the tires and into the back with the top off and use the weld on sliders to get in through the doors by themselves in my 2011 2 door. I'd keep it and move forward, and work towards a title sooner.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I will remind you kind sir, the kiddos will grow up and none of that will matter. You have the tilt and tumble front seats. By the time you even start etching away at the additional debt you created for yourself, the two door will nearly be paid off. I had the same internal debate, but now my kids climb up the tires and into the back with the top off and use the weld on sliders to get in through the doors by themselves in my 2011 2 door. I'd keep it and move forward, and work towards a title sooner.
I have a 4 door 2015 Rubi and I love it. My kids are older and need more leg room and the 4 door gives them that but still not as much as the teenager would like. I'm not sure what trails you ride probably tougher ones than me but my Rubicon does just fine on the trails I ride and I'm still stock!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Love my stock 2013 2dr Rubi urban commuter....it's a blast to drive, love rowing through the gears, and it's fairly impressive off-road.....so far, it's only been a few trips of light wheeling, limited crawling, but it does well......I like the idea of throwing on a small lift down the road, some 35's, and having a fun daily driver that can rock most trails on the weekend.....

Only issue, I have two small kiddos, and at 40, I have to crawl in the back seat to get them all buckled in the mornings.....and I like the added size and full door of a 4 door for safety.....the only challenge is the wheelbase of the unlimited would seem to support the need to an even larger tire and more work to run the same trails.....granted, always wanted 1 tons, but that is an expensive course of action.

Long story short, considering trading the base 2013 2 door rubi for a 2015 base unlimited 4 door rubi......everything else is alike, both manual, soft top....base rubi.....any thoughts appreciated....the 2 door is more fun to drive and less mods to do more offroad, but the 4 door is bigger, safer for rear passengers and much easier as a daily/child carrying commuter....really split....oh, and the 4 door is obviously a little more expensive.
If it weren't for your first paragraph then I might say "maybe better to go for the 4dr"... obviously some advantages. But with what you've said, I swear I think that someone like you will feel often times regretful that you got rid of a Jeep that you already REALLY enjoy.

What this hep-cat said ^^^ 100%.

But I drive a Corolla so what the hell do I know... ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I made the switch from 2dr to 4dr not because of kiddos, but because of a dog, the need for larger interior cargo space, and the need for an auto trans (the missus just can't seem to grasp proper clutch usage).
There have been a few times I've missed the short wheelbase of my 2dr. Especially on trails where it's so easy to get the 4dr's belly down on the rocks.
But... it's been quite enjoyable to build the 4dr up, and having the longer wheelbase means I have to think about where I'm going when I'm offroad. It adds a bit of challenge to wheeling that I think is fun.

Yes, I sometimes regret the added debt...but the benefits of having the 4dr keep that regret to a minimum.
you can still pull all the doors and the top.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I went from a TJ to a 4dr JK.

Not the same exact situation as you but similar. I don't "regret" the swap. You would like the extra room but you are correct, it will take a little more to make it as capable as your 2dr. I had 35's on my TJ and now 37's on my 4dr. I think you would like either one on the trail but it does take some getting use to the size.

On the other hand...I do catch myself looking at LJ's for sale an awful lot. I just have too much invested in my 4dr to sell :)

If you love your 2dr right now, I would say keep it, deal with the little ones for now and as JKCTAZ said, get it paid off. Always a good thing.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
"and I like the added size and full door of a 4 door for safety....."

What JKCTAZ said...and as far as this ^^^^ A lot of people say the full door is safer than the half door and the 4 door is safer than the 2 door

But I just dont see it...

sure there is one or 2 situations that the (full and/or 4 door)
may have a small safty advantage...But I dont see how it would make that much difference in your everyday "normal" kind of accident...

But I am no engineer...Just my 02

Oh and 4 Doors arnt real Jeeps:thefinger:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have had Jeeps for nearly the last 20 years, YJ, TJ and now JK. My JK is a 4 door and I love it. Would likely never replace with a two door. Space, convenience, kids . There is no shame in owning a 4 door.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Same boat with 2 kids and wouldn't trade the 4 door for anything. On a camping trip I can carry the family and our gear instead of the family or our gear.

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I got my JK I took my daughter with me. She was 6 at the time. Went for a test drive in a 2 door and she was miserable in the back seat. No leg room at all for her. This made my mind up to get the 4 door. She's a very tall 9 year old now. I can't imagine he even fitting at all in a 2 door. She goes everywhere with me. Daddy's girl. Very glad I made the 4 door choice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input, going to stick with the 2dr for now....can wheel stock for a little longer, save money for the kids.....right now, they are just 3 and 1 year old, and we only ride in it a few miles on the way to school/daycare in the morning....I like the smaller rig for wheeling, will do 35's later and likely get a tow rig/family truck down the road when it grows up.....cheaper route wins for the time being.

THANKS for weighing in, lots of good input here for anyone with the same question.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have you seen the price tag on a 4 door Rubi? And than add 10-15k in mods ;)

I'll stick to my 2 door thanks. Everyone else did fine with 2 doors for years before the JKU came along.

All of a sudden, a 6 year old doesn't have enough legroom. Lol.

Man up pussies. It's a Jeep not a minivan.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you seen the price tag on a 4 door Rubi? And than add 10-15k in mods ;)

I'll stick to my 2 door thanks. Everyone else did fine with 2 doors for years before the JKU came along.

I'm glad you find my opinion so funny. FYI, I had my daughter in my Scrambler with me too, but these days I tend to need a top and a heater in my vehicle since we moved up north. The other great thing about the 4 door is that you can get a ton of gear in it. We spend a lot of time in the mountains and this is an absolute must have for my family.

Yeah, I buy my vehicles based on the needs of my family. Not to look cool on the interwebs for cool guys like you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Give it time

I sat in the backseat of my '08 2 door Rubi one time before I pulled it out and threw it into storage. I now have a '14 JKUR and love it. I'd say once your kids get out of child seats they're gonna need more room. But maybe by that time your 2 door will be paid off, you can start modding it and get on the easy payment plan treadmill for an Unlimited.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
It seems like everyone is trying to justify buying a 4 door.

So maybe t's a little harder to get kids in but it's easily done.

It's not about being cool but in the tight woods up here, i'll take a 2 door over a 4 door anyday. Even if it means a little extra work gettin the kids in.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
The thing is, with a 2011 and up that has the tilt n tumble seats this really isn't a big deal. I have no problem with getting 6 and 8 year old in and out. My 8 yo girl is 4 foot 3 inches and she has spider legs. No issues with leg room. I'm not sure why everyone makes a big deal out of this. The obvious advantage of the four door is storage space and slightly more stability in off camber situations. Flip side, the two door will kick ass on tight trails and break over.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
It seems like everyone is trying to justify buying a 4 door.

So maybe t's a little harder to get kids in but it's easily done.

It's not about being cool but in the tight woods up here, i'll take a 2 door over a 4 door anyday. Even if it means a little extra work gettin the kids in.
Full disclosure, wife has a 4 door. I like it, but prefer my 2 door.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
I have three little ones so the JKU is great. If I buy another it'll be a 4dr as I like the extra storage space which I use often. Enjoy your Jeep. :beer:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts