JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the tereflex 3"coils now and would like to find a more comfortable ride as my commute to work is 45 miles each way.

The reason that I want to drop to 2-2.5 is because the jks front and rear Acos system adds a few inches alone.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I have the tereflex 3"coils now and would like to find a more comfortable ride as my commute to work is 45 miles each way.

The reason that I want to drop to 2-2.5 is because the jks front and rear Acos system adds a few inches alone.

Not sure if progressive coils are going to give you a better ride on the road. I would look into better shock absorbers. I'm using the TF 9550s that came with my TF 2.5" coil lift kit and I find them fairly stiff. I am looking for either Billsteins or Fox with reservoirs and some sort of adjustability to make them softer on the road.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

I heard the Rock Krawler progressive springs are awesome. I have Teraflex 2.5 springs and I want to go taller so I think I may go with the Rock Krawler 3.5 springs or Clayton 4.5's. Their springs are competitively priced.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have new bilstein 5100's they made the ride a little better but it still leaves something to be desired.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
It was my impression (as mistaken as it may be) that progressive rate coils were intended for less compression under heavier loads. For instance, you won't bottom out your progressive rate coils when wheeling with an added 500+ lbs of extra passengers, camping gear, coolers, etc. Linear rate coils would simply compress all the way (as mine have).

I am not aware of any on-road improvement of progressive coils over linear coils when under regular loads. I may be proven wrong here, in which case I will be in the same boat as you. I am also looking for improved on-road manners (hence my previous TF 9550 comment) as well as progressive rate coils since I tend to carry a lot of weight when wheeling with my wife, daughter, a 150lb Great Dane and lots of camping gear.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I switched my tf 2.5 and their shocks to rk 2.5 and bilstein. Night and day difference to me not as jarring on the road.

I am getting some fox ipfs because I went to taller springs, so need some longer shocks. Will see how those do. I was looking at some adjustables but I don't need remotes plus they are mucho dinero.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Sir

Our 2.5" and 3.5" front coil springs are progressive rate coils. The rears are still linear for load stability. We like them and it seems that alot of customers do as well which is most important to us.

Let us know if you have any questions. Good luck with your continued build.

RK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts