JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do this set up and was wondering if i would have to replace the drive shafts. i've read that when you go 3" of lift and more you need to replace them cause of the boot ripping when out on the trails. do you need to replace both or could you just do one? Newbi question thanx for any info

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
body lift doesnt factor in whatsoever
all it does is move the body 1" farther away from the frame and chassis
since all of the drive compnents are mounted to the chassis, the body lift doesnt effect them at all - so you'd still only have a 2.5" lift as far as the suspension is concerned.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Rear drive shaft will not be an issue especially if you have a 4dr. Front drive shaft will probably be OK as well. I would not spend the money until it starts to crap out. It should give you plenty of warning before it fails totally. Enough time to get it replaced before hitting the trail with it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've been running that set-up for almost 20,000 miles and no issues regarding the stock shafts.
And about 18,000 of those miles were on 35" Toyo OpenCountry MTs. City, Hwy, Offroad it's all good.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SWEET! cause man it seams like you up grade one part you gotta up grade another part and another... all i hear is cha-ching cha-ching. thanx on the info,can spend my shaft money on something else till needed. now what to buy.......:bounce:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thought, what about a 2.5 basic coil lift and how some guys get more than 2.5 does that then screw with the drive shafts? i have a four door so i don't know if i would get more than 2.5 on a basic coil lift but just a thought.:smokin:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Another thought, what about a 2.5 basic coil lift and how some guys get more than 2.5 does that then screw with the drive shafts? i have a four door so i don't know if i would get more than 2.5 on a basic coil lift but just a thought.:smokin:
Yea, most post that right after installing the lift. Over time it will compress down a bit but could still be over the advertised height. My 2 1/2 coil lift gave me 3" of lift which has remained the same for over a year now and no problems with driveshafts. I also have a friend that has been running a 4" lift on a 4dr for over two years on stock driveshafts. Works for some, not for others. He doesn't get off road much though. :shaking:

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
I ripped my front boot yesterday with a 2.5" BB. Fucking mall speed bumps are trouble around here. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
stock driveshaft on a lift usually goes bad after moderate-hard offroading. If you plan on doing hard stuff, expect less that a year from your front driveshaft. If you plan on doing easy - moderate, expect more than a year. Either way it's not an investment you have to make now. Once your shaft goes bad, you'll know and since it's going to be you front shaft, you will have no problems driving in 2wd since the Jeep is a rwd vehicle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It really depends on how you wheel and how lucky you are. In an automatic, the driveshaft boot gets torn on the auto tranny, it has a small lip on the side that rips the boot. If you stuff your drivers side tire and droop the passenger a whole lot then you have a chance of hitting and tearing the boot. I guess I have been lucky cause I wheeled mine heavily for 2 seasons now and haven't torn mine yet.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well I have a 2.5 spring lift and one inch body lift and was out checking things out today and found my front boot tore and grease up in body. Damn it just when i spent my tax return on gears and axles. More overtime to make it up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts