JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally lucked out and picked up a 1948 Bantam trailer for 450.00 last weekend. I"ll post up the build process as I go.

Gonna be a blast.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
^^^haha...

Sounds fun, look forward to pics!!! Post up an "as is" photo here now.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
work computer does not like the site with attachments. but I will tonight. as well as additions.

New axle and 35's are next week. as well as extending the hitch and lid. The Roof top tent is a little ways off as they are expensive as all hell.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I"ll be calling or emailing on your SOA and axle you did.... I'm buying mine this week, but want to make sure I do it right.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
And since you are not keeping it stock. I suggest you make or buy and incoporate a max coupler hitch.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looking at that as well. but I also like the look of the lunette and pintle... but you are right the other one is pretty cool.

·
22,098 Posts
the look of the pintle is nice but the 1st trip you take off road with it that damm pintle will be slamming back and forth in the hitch and drive you crazy. Ask me how I know this.:suicide:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
the look of the pintle is nice but the 1st trip you take off road with it that damm pintle will be slamming back and forth in the hitch and drive you crazy. Ask me how I know this.:suicide:
hell, it is bad enough on road

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What size box did you have? and what type of axle did you put under it.?

·
22,098 Posts
I have thought about that... so which one are you referring to

THis one??

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html
Yep thats the one. You could make one as well I have seen instructions on how to do it.

hell, it is bad enough on road
I wanted to push that thing off a cliff the first trail run I did.

What size box did you have? and what type of axle did you put under it.?
Mine is the stock 416 dimensions, which I don't know off the top of my head. I ordered the axle from www.abctrailers.com. It is the 3500 pound axle with the ultra lube bearings. I think it was around 180.00 shipped last year. It is with 5x5 lug pattern.

What wheels are you planning on using? I wanted to use the stock moab wheels but the axle end wouldn't fit the center of the wheel. So I had to go to a different wheel in order to fit which through my backspacing measurements off and make the tires stick out a little farther than I wanted. If you want come down and take a look at it. It is still sitting in my garage. If you want we can take the axle off and swap it on to yours to see what it looks like. I will be home Saturday but on a run on Sunday.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I ordered mine and pick up today the 416 and the bantam are very similar, but the bantam is a little narrower by 3 inches....I measured like 4 times to make sure I got it right with the MOAB wheels and the 35's I have for it.

I am picking up today after work and will be installing on Thursday or Friday. This weekend I"m extending the hitch so that I can have a little more room upfront.

·
22,098 Posts
The MOAB wheels will not fit over the end of the axles. You could probably have them milled out.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I"l take one down to make sure that it fits, but thanks for the heads up. that would of sucked.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts