JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I moved to Hawaii and MAUI offroad says it will cost me $1700 atleast to swap my gears to a 4.10 ratio. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
that sounds high, only because 4.10 gears are plentiful barely used and cheap since they come stock on a rubicon and as soon as you go with 35"s or larger you have to goto 4.88 or 5.13s.
I've seen almost new 4.10s go for $100 for both sets used.

For new gears, $1700 installed is about what I've been getting quoted over here in the main 48, I've had as high as $2k quoted.

IF you plan to go larger than 32" tires you may want to think about 4.88s or 5.13s anyway.
As weak as our little 3.8 is, 4.10 is marginal for 32"s anyway if you live where there are hills (or volcanos:grinpimp:)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have 4.10s for sale. I'm asking $100 total as venom mentioned. I paid just under $1300 for 5.13s and labor. I got the gears on sale and didn't have to pay shipping.

·
Registered
630 Posts
that sounds high, only because 4.10 gears are plentiful barely used and cheap since they come stock on a rubicon and as soon as you go with 35"s or larger you have to goto 4.88 or 5.13s.
I've seen almost new 4.10s go for $100 for both sets used.

For new gears, $1700 installed is about what I've been getting quoted over here in the main 48, I've had as high as $2k quoted.

IF you plan to go larger than 32" tires you may want to think about 4.88s or 5.13s anyway.
As weak as our little 3.8 is, 4.10 is marginal for 32"s anyway if you live where there are hills (or volcanos:grinpimp:)
I do not know a shop who will install used gears or include used gears in a quote.
not to mention... Hawaii... EVERYTHING is expensive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
In So. Cal. I paid $1200 Parts & Labor for 5.13's
x2, although ORE did keep my 4.10's. $1700 seems waaay too high, but I guess since you are in Hawaii it might be justified?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Here in Mass the few guys that know what they are doing said about 10 hr labor at 90hr. That equates to 900.00 plus cost for fluids.

A full overhaul kit front and rear and you can add another 600. Overall it's about right if the per hour labor rate is the same.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
$1,200 to $1,400 in texas depending on where...That seemed high to me....dunno.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have 4.10s for sale. I'm asking $100 total as venom mentioned. I paid just under $1300 for 5.13s and labor. I got the gears on sale and didn't have to pay shipping.
By the way, this price includes the overhaul kits and not just the gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, this price includes the overhaul kits and not just the gears.
Can you get me a shipping quote to 96734? How hard are gears to install anyway? I know you take the axles out, unbolt the diff.(mark it ofcourse) and them unbolt the ring gear and take out the pinion gear. I just dont know exactly how to get them to mesh correctly. Im sure you guys on here could walk me through it. Right LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Drive train gearing is one of those things you don't really want to attempt unless you really know what you are doing. You can unbolt it all and put it all back together but without knowing how to properly set backlash and what ever else you could really hurt something. Ill let you know when I try mine! I have a mechanic buddy that has set up rear ends before and he says its simple, I'm still not going to try it without him there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was quoted $1300 for 5.13's by one off-road shop and $1900 for 5.13's by another off-road shop...What I found out after getting the price quotes the more expensive shop pays the cheaper shop to do all of their axle work and then marks up the price...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Can you get me a shipping quote to 96734? How hard are gears to install anyway? I know you take the axles out, unbolt the diff.(mark it ofcourse) and them unbolt the ring gear and take out the pinion gear. I just dont know exactly how to get them to mesh correctly. Im sure you guys on here could walk me through it. Right LOL
I just realized how confusing my post could have been. I just want to make sure there's no misunderstanding. The price I listed that I bought the 5.13s and everything for included the overhaul kits. The 4.10s I'm selling (my used ones with about 5,000 miles) is just the ring and pinion. I do have most if not all of the bearings and pieces that were replaced if you really want them though.

Send me a PM if you're still interested based on my clarification and I'll figure out how much the shipping will be.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i paid 1500 and change, including taxes and ARB diff covers for my 5.13 install.

if i were you, i wouldn't do them yourself. and i never say that about working on a jeep...r&p is peculiar work, and you're out some bank if you screw it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts