JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some opinions. I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I have been looking at Jeeps. I have found a 2008 that has a 4" lift, fox struts which have just been replaced, wheels and oversized tires, hard top, Thule roof rack, and a super chip system. He daily drives it and takes it to the beach, but he has never been off roading with it. The only issue I have with it is that it has 160K miles. I pulled the CARFAX and it looks like it has been taken care of for the most part. The current owner is the third owner and he's been taking it to a mechanic that is good with Jeeps. He says he hasn't had any problems with it and has owned it for the past 40K to 50K miles or so. He knew the previous owner who drove it mainly highway. I have been searching through all the Jeep forums to formulate a decision, but some people say high mileage is okay for TJ's and I haven't really seen much regarding JKs. I literally can't stop thinking how much I like this one because everything I want is already done on it. My question is, should I pull the trigger or pass on this? FYI, I am slightly mechanically inclined as I have done cams, clutch swaps, suspension upgrades, etc., but I have never done anything involved like replacing a motor. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
have a compression test run on the 3.8l .
Ask how much oil she is consuming per change-cycle. If he has a good Jeep mechanic , they will know.

There are some 3.8l v6 that keep on going & have moved well beyond 200, 250k. Others, less.
You cannot compare it to the inline6. That isn't fair. Nothing is comparable to the 4.0l HO Inline6 .

·
Registered
749 Posts
have a compression test run on the 3.8l .
Ask how much oil she is consuming per change-cycle. If he has a good Jeep mechanic , they will know.

There are some 3.8l v6 that keep on going & have moved well beyond 200, 250k. Others, less.
You cannot compare it to the inline6. That isn't fair. Nothing is comparable to the 4.0l HO Inline6 .
Is it an auto or a stick ?
The 3.8 is a turd for power but not a bad motor really , they do use oil though . But like Alan says there are an abundant supply of them out there ,
The 3.8 and an auto trans is really weak in the motor department , but much better with the six speed .
The 4.0 Inline six is a much better motor than the V-6 ever thought about being .

You can always drop a Chevy or a Hemi in it anyway , they should have come from the factory that way in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
680 Posts
my '08 has 150K on it and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it to FL from WI again. it helps that I have owned it since new, but I am not worried about the mileage on it.

price would be the biggest factor.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If it makes you feel any better about the 160K miles, I have 282,000 on my 2008. I burn about a quart of oil every 4,000 miles. i would not hesitate to drive to Orlando from Detroit with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This model has been known to have transmission and engine overheating issues. I would check if it has the trans and engine coolers. Someone else may be able to add more to this. I was told it affected the JK line from 2008-2018.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 195,000 miles and counting. I would have no worries taking it cross country, doesnt burn any oil, compression is great and plugs bur perfect. Yes the 3.8 is gutless, but the way I look at it isI will run it until it dies then look at an LS swap which if done right, isnt too much more than a reman 3.8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought an 07 2.5 years ago, have 157.000 on it, eats a quart in about 5000, about time for an oil change, been up and down many trail on the front range....keeps on ticking like an ever,ready Rabbit...I put a mechanical Oil gauge on it. It runs 60psi cold, and 12 psi at idle when fully warm...

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
189K and counting

I have a 2008 unlimited auto on 35's with 3:73 gears and just rolled 189K miles. when i bought the jeep in 2013 it had 60K and the 35s with a 4 inch lift . since then i have changed the oil regularly and serviced the transmission every 30K ish , i replaced the intake valley gasket , replaced the water pump ( weep hole dripping) replaced the radiator (twice , one was the original the replaced one had a warranty issue) . now the 35's and the quality of the lift that was installed caused a few issues that i have fixed too. all the control arm have been replaced with teraflex monster arms and i replaced the front unit bearings. but over all my jeep has not been a money pit and it has been very reliable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts