JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am soon replacing my stock 18" wheels and looking at 35" tires. I have found some Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 35x12.5x17 for $915.00 and Milestar Patagonia 35x12.5x16 for $795. I haven't looked at rims yet but wanted to know why most people run 17" over 16"? I like the reviews on both tires so i would be happy with either one. Just wanted your opinions on what you would do. I have a 3" lift with Yeti High steer setup. My stock tires look a little silly on it.:frown2:

·
Random Dude
3,042 Posts
17" rims IMO leave the "perfect" amount of sidewall on 35" tires, and they will clear JK big brake kits. Also, 17" tire sizes are available in load range C, D and E, while 16" tires are usually only D or E.

Some folks like more sidewall, and they run 15" rims on JKs, but I'd stick with 17s - as time goes on, tires for 17s will be more commonly available than for 16s. Also, if you change to 37s (it can happen :D ) the tires will be a bit less wiggly on-road.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that input. That makes a lot of sense so I will go with the Mickey T's at 17"

·
Registered
527 Posts
17" rims IMO leave the "perfect" amount of sidewall on 35" tires, and they will clear JK big brake kits. Also, 17" tire sizes are available in load range C, D and E, while 16" tires are usually only D or E.

Some folks like more sidewall, and they run 15" rims on JKs, but I'd stick with 17s - as time goes on, tires for 17s will be more commonly available than for 16s. Also, if you change to 37s (it can happen :D ) the tires will be a bit less wiggly on-road.
Seconded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts