JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Sport with 16 inch factory rims. Time to replace tires, so I thought nicer rims too. I am told by an after market Jeep parts house that a 16 can't be used because it rubs, and that I need to buy a 17 inch. It makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Don't listen to the dumbshits behind a computer telling you complete falsehoods. They probably don't know that they came from the factory with 16's once upon a time. Do what you want.

Big thing is with new wheels, check the backspacing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is probably some miss communication going on. He may have been telling you with over sized tires that the off set of the factory wheels the tires will rub. Going to a 17 inch wheel might benifit you later down the road if you plan on changing steering components. Some aftermarket stuff you need 17 inch wheels.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I ordered the 16 inch rims, I had a question and called back, and I was told that the order was for 17 inch, that the 16 inch rims were specially made for Jeep, and a stock 16 inch rim would not fit, and would rub on the calipers. I called bs on the guy at Q and told him to cancel the order. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
i ran 325 or 345 70r16s STT Pros on my JKU for its first aftermarket wheel/tire combo and loved them. Big old sidewalls when aired down = poor man’s beadlocks . I think I had 4.50” backspace & had plenty of room.

:jeep2:

·
Registered
799 Posts
:smile2: My 16" ProComps fit fine on my 2018 RUBICON/w bigger brakes/calipers-

Back spacing is important--mine is 4.5"--

Good luck

:nerd: JIMBO

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is probably some miss communication going on. He may have been telling you with over sized tires that the off set of the factory wheels the tires will rub. Going to a 17 inch wheel might benifit you later down the road if you plan on changing steering components. Some aftermarket stuff you need 17 inch wheels.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Listen to this guy lol. 17 inch wheels are very common and tires can be had for much cheaper. Aftermarket steering components will, sometimes, only fit with a 17 inch wheel, or a 16 with very low backspacing so take that into consideration!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts