JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $1500 to spend on my jeep and want your advice on what I should spend it on. Here's the short on my Jeep
Rubicon Unlimited
35's
OME HD Coils
Skyjacker Shocks
Teraflex SS
teraflex bump stops
Mopar Off-Road Front Bumper
Warn 9.5ti with almost broken Winch Cable
PIAA 520 SMR's
Thrusher Muffler
JKS Adjustable Trackbars

I'm going to get a Mopar Offroad Rear Bumper and a Synthetic Winchline for sure....that leaves about 650 bucks to spend.

My JK is real Flighty Riding...meaning it get easily off track when going over bumps or even wind at highway speed so I would like to fix that. Alignment? Front Upper control Arms? What else should I get? Everything needs to be functional....I don't need useless crap on my Jeep ;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Get the handling fixed before anything.

When deciding what to buy next for my Jeep, here's my list in order of priority:

1. Safety gear - Good first aid kit, flashlight, extra batteries for everything, extra clothing, and a fire extinguisher

2. Navigation gear - Maps of intended area, GPS, and a hand held compass

3. Communication - CB and GMRS radios

4. Recovery Gear - 3" recovery straps, tree saver, shackles, winch, chain, snatch block, old rug for winch cable, jacks, block of wood to join recovery straps, tools, battery jumper cables, and a shovel

5. Armor - Diff covers, body armor, skid plate, relocated evap cannister, bumpers

6. Capability - lift, lockers, tires, extended axle vent tubes, beadlocks, upgrade parts, and snorkel

7. Convenience - Lights, 5x8 plastic tarp, Peat-Sorb to soak up oil or fuel spills, locking storage, axe, and limb saw

I'm sure there there are things I forgot but you get the gist of it. Make your own list of your priorities and follow it as budget allows.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'll agree with Terrahawk. Front lower control arms, and a rear axle-side trackbar bracket will improve your handling. Plus, that'll leave you with some extra cash to spend on other things, too. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll agree with Terrahawk. Front lower control arms, and a rear axle-side trackbar bracket will improve your handling. Plus, that'll leave you with some extra cash to spend on other things, too. :)
Some good input but I'm confused...some say I need upper and some say I need lower adjustable front control arms. Any more info on this? I do want to get the Handling fixed for sure.

btw; It seems my teraflex extended bump-stops are really limiting my flex...are they necessary if I get extended brake lines?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
btw; It seems my teraflex extended bump-stops are really limiting my flex...are they necessary if I get extended brake lines?
Bump stops won't have anything to do with brake line length. They handle compression, not extension. Bump stops are used to keep the tires from rubbing when the axle is compressed. You can modify them usually to set them where you want. Just make sure your shocks don't bottom out before the bump stops hit and check for clearance. Keep in mind you may have to go backwards if you get bigger tires. Then again, you can trim your fenders and gain a lot of clearance.

I agree with others. Get it handling right first and then get the other stuff. You'll enjoy driving it a lot more. It is kind of a bummer, because you go through a period in the build where everything you are buying is unnoticeable to others. Things like suspension components, drive shafts and such are invisible when looking at the Jeep, but you gotta have them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way to meassure the Caster Angle to see if I really need adjustable control arms? My front tires have bad cupping with the high end of the cupping beeing on the inside of the tires...maybe my camber is off...

If somebody could post camber and caster specs and a way to measure it that would be really great.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Here is what i'd do...

Take $1500 and go buy some sirius stock.

On Feb 11 it was at 5 cents = 30000 shares

Today it was 13 cents = sale your 30000 shares = a gain of $2400

So, your $1500 just went to $3900. In 2 weeks.

Now you can go hog wild on mods!!!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
buy $1000 , $500 in beer... invite all these Texans here to a wrencing party

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If your tires are wearing on the inside, check your toe in. If your tires have a toe out situation then you will get awkward handling and the tires will wear to the inside. If you measure the front of your tires and the rear of your tires from side to side, the rear measurement should be about 3/16 more than the front. You can set this yourself and use the $1500 to buy 2 of those mullet things on the hummer on the mud flaps thread. 1 front 1 rear. Way cool.

Check out the toe in thread in the write up department. I just saw it and it explains a lot better than i did

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your tires are wearing on the inside, check your toe in. If your tires have a toe out situation then you will get awkward handling and the tires will wear to the inside. If you measure the front of your tires and the rear of your tires from side to side, the rear measurement should be about 3/16 more than the front. You can set this yourself and use the $1500 to buy 2 of those mullet things on the hummer on the mud flaps thread. 1 front 1 rear. Way cool.

Check out the toe in thread in the write up department. I just saw it and it explains a lot better than i did
I actually did it monday with the Alignment gauge from harbor freight. Probably the best thing to do would be to get an lifetime alignment from firestone....that way it can be exactly figured out what's going on...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Some good input but I'm confused...some say I need upper and some say I need lower adjustable front control arms. Any more info on this? I do want to get the Handling fixed for sure.

You can adjust caster with either uppers or lowers, but I prefer lower fronts because you're lengthening them to get your caster where you need it, which helps restore the tiny bit of wheelbase lost when you lifted it. (push the axle away from the firewall, rather than pulling it toward the firewall)

The bumpstop thing has already been covered, so I'll just defer to the already-posted answer. :)

Also, regearing will make a HUGE difference in how it drives--but take care of the squirrelyness first, so you can stand to drive it with your new-found power when you do regear.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info! I plan on keeping my 4.10's as long as I roll on 35's. I didn't like the 4.10 with stock tires but like the way it drives and feels with 35's and 4.10's...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here is what i'd do...

Take $1500 and go buy some sirius stock.

On Feb 11 it was at 5 cents = 30000 shares

Today it was 13 cents = sale your 30000 shares = a gain of $2400

So, your $1500 just went to $3900. In 2 weeks.

Now you can go hog wild on mods!!!!!!
a few years back sirius stock was at $0.50 and i had a $1300 bonus come in at work - i bought wheels/tires for my dakota 4x4. sirius stock then went up to like $7.50. :pissed:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

march of 2003 - nov 2004

my other one that i missed was best buy at $7 (now split adjusted to about $1.00) in 1997. i bought wheels and tires for my turbo plymouth laser and a custom stereo (about $2500 total). Best buy then went ape**** and went to a split adjusted $36 in only 3 years... i worked there and saw many managers retire off of their stock options.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, this is what I did;

Lifetime Alignment from Firestone
Bought some Tools
EK front Grab Handles

ordered:
Rustys 3.25" Coils
Rustys front lower Control Arms
Poly Performance rear Track Bar Bracket
Poly Performance front Brake Line Relocation Bracket
Rubicon Express 3/4" front Coil Spacer
OME Long Travel Shocks
Master-Pull LCP 5/16" X 100' Winch Line
Master-Pull Fairlead

further plans include the EVO C2 Axle Gussets and either the Rock Krawler Front Axle Truss or the Mt Logan Sleeves. I'm also going to make my own Coil Spring retainers...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I guess it's time I'll post some pics of what I did with the $$$...

Over the last 2 weeks I did the following;
OME Long Travel Shocks
Rubicon Express 3/4" Front Coil Spacers
Rustys 3.25" Coils
Rustys Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
Poly Performance Front Brake Line Relocation Bracket
Poly Performance Rear Track Bar Bracket
Master-Pull LCP Winch Line & Fairlead
Relocated Exhaust & EVAP Canister
Chopped my Mopar Bumper
Recovery Strap from Phil @ Trail Duty
Cleaned it.

Before Bumper Chop:

After:

Some Flex Pics;

sorry for the crappy cell pics & Thanks for all the input!!! :beer:

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Ya done good Rubi. I was going to suggest that you take us all to Acuna for a little "Chilly Willy" and then work on the handling issues with whatever was left......

Your plan worked.... but don't rule out the Acuna thing - we can carpool from H-town.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya done good Rubi. I was going to suggest that you take us all to Acuna for a little "Chilly Willy" and then work on the handling issues with whatever was left......

Your plan worked.... but don't rule out the Acuna thing - we can carpool from H-town.
hehe, gotta keep that "Acuna thing" in mind. Since I live in the woods i don't know what you are talking about... :beer:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.