JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new jeeper here!:bounce:
so i just got my 13 jku sport and wanna start doing stuff to it! ive been looking at alot of stuff but cant decide on what i want to do. im not going to be doing any crazy crawling or anything, just some mild off roading. i think ill have about $1500 to work with. i already have wheels and tires(34in) from my ram that im going to put on with some adapters.

heres what i was looking at:
Rubicon Express 2.5in coil lift= $380
4 bilstien 5100's = $340
adapter/spacers = $160
locking fuel door = $80
RR floor mats = $180

around 1k so far
i was thinking maybe a short arm kit but those are pricey. open to any suggestions of differnet/better stuff thanks

· Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Welcome. Just send me the $1500 and I will spend it for ya...lol

If your gonna do a bolt on lift try looking at Rock Krawler. They really have a simple system that you can build on as you change your mind down the road about how your gonna wheel your jeep.

Clayton makes good stuff too.

Just take your time and do lots of research and get out in other jeeps to see how you like their rides.

· Registered
79 Posts
Might want to read this review and evaluation is very nicely put together----lights that are used every day on the road AND will be an asset off road are always one of the first modifications I make.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85577

The lights I installed initially were the JW Speaker which are great lights. After more research the Hella 90mm HID system which is DOT legal and is superior in all respects to the ones reviewed in the thread and are the ones currently installed in my JK. They are the most $$$ as well but for anyone who is into lighting they are the best option out there. The bulbs I use in all of my HID's are the Osram SVS or CBI depending on the color you want the former is 4300k and the latter 5K.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Most vendors (including myself) can do the 5100's for better than $340..
and x2 on the RK Kits. Just take your time, lay out what you want to do, what resources you have to do it and shop around. ~Christian

· Registered
459 Posts
All lifts are not created equally. I am still fairly new, I did lots of research on here before purchasing. Most of my friends run the "more affordable" lifts on their Jeeps. I went with the RK 2.5 flex. My Jeep sits at the same height as the budget 4" lifts, and it rides great.

· V8 dreams
2,722 Posts
with 34in tires i might just level out the front and spend some of that money on other things...

...but in the end, you're gonna want to buy a part to replace every single thing on that jeep:gluging:

· Vendor
1,650 Posts
Welcome!

With $1500.00 you could do a NICE lift and have some money toward other things. Like was stated, not all lifts are created equal so look around a bit. I would hate to see you spend the $1500.00 now only to have to replace things down the road. Do it right the first time or it is going to cost you twice as much!

If there is anything we can do, please let us know my friend!

-Jason

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome info guys! i was looking at RK, ill have to see what the best price i can find is on their 2.5-3in stuff. as far as the mats and stuff,i live in montana so rubber mats are a must and ive had fuel stolen before unfortunately.

and if you can do better than 340 for those bilstiens PM me, im pretty interested. im also intereten in fox's, had them on my silverado i built and loved them.

thanks again everyone!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as far as the lights go, i to really REALLY! appreciate good lighting. i looked at those lights and they are something i will be getting down the road, for now its not in the budget. i do have a pair of really bright 7in HID lights that ill be putting on the front or winshield brackets. thanks for the suggestion tho!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All lifts are not created equally. I am still fairly new, I did lots of research on here before purchasing. Most of my friends run the "more affordable" lifts on their Jeeps. I went with the RK 2.5 flex. My Jeep sits at the same height as the budget 4" lifts, and it rides great.

lookin at same lift. any issues with the exhaust/driveshaft clearance? did you have to run exhaust spacers? thanks

· Vendor
1,650 Posts
lookin at same lift. any issues with the exhaust/driveshaft clearance? did you have to run exhaust spacers? thanks
With the 2012-13's, you will need to run the exhaust spaces on any 2.5" and higher lift.

Also, you mentioned the Fox shocks, that is what we run on one of our rigs with the RK 2.5" Max Travel! Great shocks. We could set you up with those as well! Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime...

-Jason

· Registered
315 Posts
With the 2012-13's, you will need to run the exhaust spaces on any 2.5" and higher lift

-Jason
not trying to step on toes, but this isnt the only option. Running exhaust spacers is the cheapest way to go. There is also the AFE Y pipe option which I think is around $350. The other option is to just go with aftermarket front drive shaft. I ran a Poly 3" lift for about 3 months with stock driveshaft and I was fine. Eventually I got around to installing my aftermarket DS from Adams that I ordered from Krawl.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not trying to step on toes, but this isnt the only option. Running exhaust spacers is the cheapest way to go. There is also the AFE Y pipe option which I think is around $350. The other option is to just go with aftermarket front drive shaft. I ran a Poly 3" lift for about 3 months with stock driveshaft and I was fine. Eventually I got around to installing my aftermarket DS from Adams that I ordered from Krawl.

I know the other options. Preferably I'd get the new Driveshwaft but not in the budget right now. But is for sure a purchase down the road. Thanks for the input tho

· Vendor
1,650 Posts
No worries and your right. There is a lot of different options other than the spacers. The spacers is usually the one guys pick as it is the cheapest and it is effective. Sorry, I should have stated that.

-Jason

· Registered
712 Posts
Man for $1500 you have lots of options. If you are only doing a 2.5" lift and only mild wheeling you can get away with:

Coils
Shocks
Adjustable rear trackbar (I hate the brackets just get a whole new bar)
Quick disco's in the front
Rear brake line relocation
Exhaust spacers
bumpstops if you want (I haven't ran them, ever)

After you purchase those see what money you have left over. Personally I think Fox shocks are overkill for a mild wheeler. Once you get the above, wheel it, and then make decisions on what you need. I know with 34s you will want something to replace the stock tire carrier on your rig so you don't mess up your tailgate.

That's my 2 cents...for what its worth.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.