JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, did a search on a few areas of this question and found some info but wanted some input on my whole issue/decision. I just bought a JK sahara unlimited that came with 17" procomp 7005's and 33 x 12.5 Mickey Thompson MTZs. I hate these tires. I am not a rock crawler guy, just light trails. I spend more time on the highway than anything. On a TJ I used to have BFG AT KOs...awesome tire for me, good compromise. So I'm looking for high quality AT tires but they are damn pricey at 17" diameter, and most I can find are load rated higher than the JK's weight (ie. stiffer ride).

So I've been toying with the idea of going to a smaller diameter wheel with 33's and selling off the whole MTZ/procomp wheel package. Will 15 x 8 Crager Soft 8's clear the JK unlimited's brakes? Will I have any issues running so much sidewall? Or will I just get a softer ride? Thanks in advance!

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23334

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
From what I have been told 15 inch soft 8s will not clear... And that much sidewall is not for you if u do alot of highway miles...

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
15s will fit.

Some jeeps require minor grinding of the calipers depending on the backspacing of the rim you get. the punch out of the 8 holes is what MAY rub on the caliper.

I have NO rubbing issues with my 15x8 cragar soft 8s 4 in bs.

If one rim rubs a caliper try it on a different caliper and it may fit. i had to do this...(one rim rubbed on the driver side front but it didnt rub on the back) the rims are not all exactly the same size, its just how they are made.

I highly recommend 15s. the tires are way cheaper and you will have a lot of side wall great for aired down traction

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They fit and they look damn good, too. The grinding caliper thing bugs me a bit...maybe I'll just go 16" and compromise. Anyone know the best place to buy Soft 8's? For some reason quadratec only has 5x5 bolt pattern in 17" on their website.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't fear the caliper grind! It's very easy and takes no more than 5 min per wheel(you only have to do the front). I used my air powered cut off wheel to do the job but an electric grinder or something would be fine. The amount of material that you need to remove is minimal. If you want I can post a picture of the exact area you will need to grind when I get home to my computer. Also I can't tell you how happy I am with my Goodyear mtr kevlars! Very aggressive tread and almost zero road noise or humming, just a very slight vibration at lower speeds. Def worth checking out!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, please post a picture if you could. Thanks for all the good replies. So if I get soft 8's with 4 inches of backspacing I should be good?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine barely scraped and it was actually only a couple of the backs of the holes that made contact. Took off maybe 1/16". Not that big of a deal. There's lots of meat on those calipers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts