JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sahara
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just started shopping for a portable compressor for the Jeep, there are so many models, I don’t know what to get. Too many options.
what is really needed? I already have a cheap low volume compressor, it works ok to inflate a normal car tire, but bigger tires will probably burn out the motor lol
I’ve seven so many models that it is all a blur.
how many cfm’s do I really need?
some are rated for 200 psi’s others at 150…
I just want to be able to deflate and re-inflate my tires at a decent rate, what do you all recommend?

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
All the portable 12v compressors are going to be slow.
I have a portable VIAIR 450 and it's good enough, but won't win any races.
If you want a fast fill, you will want to look at a CO2 tank setup.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Back in the day the Master Flow Tsunami was a wopping $30 at Pep Boys. I took it apart and deburred the head a bit, added a moisture separator, filter and a one gallong tank on top of the skid plate and the rest under the driver's seat in my TJ. I used this to power two ARB lockers and air up. It would run the lockers all day without issue and bring my 33's from 12 PSI to 28 in about 10 minutes. After that things slowed considerably until it all cooled down.

Switched to CO2 for the JK and it fills 4 tires in no time, but if I fill more than 8 it tends to freeze up. Either mwthod works better than waiting in line.

·
Registered
2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon on 37s
8 Posts
Another vote for the Smitty. I heard that they may not be dependable so I bought two (one as a backup/spare). I created mounting plates so that they both fold off of Fishbone storage bins behind the rear seat on top of the wheel well fronts. I've run some heavy gauge wire back and will be installing a plug so that I can add a rear winch and use either that or the compressors as needed. I run both compressors (one per side of Jeep) and air 37s back up in no time. A couple years back, I broke the 7-eleven air compressor in Big Bear (sorry to anyone inconvenienced by that).
No whining now....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts