JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Jeep in to get the gas tank replaced per the 07 overflow issue. While I was there, had the dealer look at a water leak on both doors at the A pillars. (Jeep is a 2dr w/soft top.) The dealer uses a 3rd party contractor for leak issues. Got the call from the service dept later in the day and talked to the contractor. He said it would $600 for the parts and $450 for the labor to fix the leak. Little bit of sticker shock on that one, so I declined. When I picked up the Jeep, I asked to have a copy of the quote for the leak repair. The cashier whites out the actual cost, gives me a copy, then shows my estimate on a dealer quote sheet inflated to $750 for parts and $525 in labor. 1.) The initial $1050 seems ridiculous. 2.) WTF is with rewriting the estimate in front of me for $225 more?

Off to Home Depot for some $5 weather stripping...

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
you should have said something even if you werent getting it done, ask if they charge $225 to write something down. I hate every singe dealer i ever did business with except the one i bought my first 07 from and stupid chrysler closed them

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
As a fellow JKOwner, I'll do it for a grand. :thefinger:

·
Coonasian
1,835 Posts
The helping spirit on this board brings tears to my eyes! :gluging:

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
How did they say they were going to fix it? $1200 is a new top, which we have found will not fix water leaks most of the time.

Robert
Hmmm...you don't happen to have parts for sales do you?

I can get a hardtop for that kinda cash.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Had my Jeep in to get the gas tank replaced per the 07 overflow issue. While I was there, had the dealer look at a water leak on both doors at the A pillars. (Jeep is a 2dr w/soft top.) The dealer uses a 3rd party contractor for leak issues. Got the call from the service dept later in the day and talked to the contractor. He said it would $600 for the parts and $450 for the labor to fix the leak. Little bit of sticker shock on that one, so I declined. When I picked up the Jeep, I asked to have a copy of the quote for the leak repair. The cashier whites out the actual cost, gives me a copy, then shows my estimate on a dealer quote sheet inflated to $750 for parts and $525 in labor. 1.) The initial $1050 seems ridiculous. 2.) WTF is with rewriting the estimate in front of me for $225 more?

Off to Home Depot for some $5 weather stripping...
Just a thought:

Most auto repair services are bouncing off the $90-$100/hour service rate. Of course, some higher/lower. So the labor, pull your rig in at 8 am, tear down, repair, pull out by lunch, OFFER WARRANTY, may not be that far of a stretch.

Parts are another matter.

And the dealer isn't swapping dollars for free.

So, if you can't work through it yourself - GOOGLE. Find the dealer's contractor, and grind out a reasonable price direct.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Mine has a minor leak at the car wash and under really hard rain storms. Fuck it, I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$240 in parts and a Saturday afternoon later, my Jeep no longer leaks. Just followed the directions on the Jeep Water Leak manual! Seems like the windshield header was the main culprit.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
With half doors its about impossible to fox water leaks.....plastic junk..
I just took a razor blade and cut an X in each drain plug.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
With half doors its about impossible to fox water leaks.....plastic junk..
I just took a razor blade and cut an X in each drain plug.
Or you could have just taken the plug out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts