JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· I Put the FU in FUN
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba Thrive 10" tablet. I want to use it in cab mounted beside the factory mygig as a Nav unit. I'd use one of these to mount it.

The huge screen would be awesome as a mapping for GPS offroad too. I'd use BackCountry Navigator as the software platform. It seems to be the best available for Android.
Since I don't want to add a sim card to the device (I already have a phone), I'd get one of these Dual Bluetooth GPS antennas to receive signal from.

My Nav unit doesn't seem to operate correctly anyway and I've never really liked it's unlocked features from factory. I know I can pay $300 to fully unlock it through a lockpick but I think that is a lot for ability to add a camera and play movies/nav on the fly. I should get my head unit looked at by the stealership and see if it can figure out why it always thinks I'm in another state, no matter where I am. This happened when I installed the Trail Dash, so that may have something to do with it.

Or should I just get one of these and forget about it?

Just looking for some advice on which way to spend $ for a decent set up that will work well on the trails. We're going to Moab so I want to make sure I have excellent mapping of the trails we want to do as a group. I know very little on GPS. Geo-tagging sounds interesting. Geo-caching does not to me though. Bread crumbing and custom way points sound like must haves. Not sure if back country can do the bread crumbing part.
Daily use with having all my tunes and so one won't be such a bad thing either - although there is already 1100 songs in the mygig. Not to mention that now I have the Android app for controlling the gopro2 with will be excellent on the tablet.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
I have been considering a similar setup and I am inbetween android and iPAD. iPAD was first choice but for other reasons (too long to explain) I am considering android phone so tablet as well.

Now the problem that people experienced with iPAD with bluetooth gps antenna is that staying connected was an issue. people with iPAD recommended a GPS antenna that plugged into to the side.
does anyone have experience or searched for feedback on android and bluetooth GPS antennna?

I love this idea and cant wait till I have this tech in my JEEP.

· Registered
183 Posts
I have an iPad, older one with out the camara. Never needed an antenna for the GPS. Lock up is almost instant in the vehicle, even in death valley with no data service for 2 days. But the best map program is def Back Country Nav on Android(my DNA comes this week with the 5" screen). I have recently gone to Topo Maps on the iPad as a back up for mapping. Down load all the tops you want before you go. No "real time" but better than paper in a a jeep full of gear.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
I'm thinking of going the tablet PC route. We have several old Xplore tablets at work that I'm going to try to get one for cheap. Connect a GPS dongle and somehow come up with a mount for it. The computer is ruggedized, so it should do well in the extreme temps, dust and weather. The main downside is they run on Windows. We had just put solid state drives in several of them, so those are the ones I'm shooting for.

Sent & misspelled from my MB860 using predictive text & Tapatalk 2.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
I have an iPad, older one with out the camara. Never needed an antenna for the GPS. Lock up is almost instant in the vehicle, even in death valley with no data service for 2 days.
we have an iPAD2 with wifi only. so with that how does it work as a GPS? what do you mean LOCK UP IS ALMOST INSTANT? I thought I would need a sat antenna to get it to work?

EDIT never mind. my iPAD is not 3g. but with addition of BadElf GPS antenna I can use it. that is what I was asking about specifically when it comes to android tablets if they need the GPS antenna and using one with Blue Tooth.

· Registered
194 Posts
I'm using the Nexus 7, which has GPS and WiFi. I can use an off line app or g-maps for navigation, then use my cell phone as my go pro controller. I also just found geocam on the market that uses the camera of your cell phone but has inclinometer over lay with compass, pitch and roll angles... Pretty cool. http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84823

If you have a Wi-Fi only device like me, you can use your cell phone as a Wi-Fi repeater for free using Foxfi on your phone and pdanet for tablets on your tab. I have T-Mobile and they want to charge me a fee to use their Wi-Fi hotspot service, so this is a great work around.

The idea like original o.p, is to use one or two devices to rule the world.

Oh yeah, I can also use DSLR Controller app to control my canon 550d camera for in cab recording.

-shawn

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
194 Posts
Who makes that tablet holder in your first picture?

-Dan
Its a ram mount holder but i'm not familiar with the
Bracket, being wrangler specific. It might be one for a cab mic (=<2010).

I'm thinking of going the tablet PC route. We have several old Xplore tablets at work that I'm going to try to get one for cheap. Connect a GPS dongle and somehow come up with a mount for it. The computer is ruggedized, so it should do well in the extreme temps, dust and weather. The main downside is they run on Windows. We had just put solid state drives in several of them, so those are the ones I'm shooting for.

Sent & misspelled from my MB860 using predictive text & Tapatalk 2.
I'm not trying to pimp the Nexus but Otterbox is releasing their defender series for the 7 very soon .

As for my GPS, I use CoPilot Live. I've noticed its not 100% accurate but it does have all the NF routes on it.

· I Put the FU in FUN
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a ram mount holder but i'm not familiar with the
Bracket, being wrangler specific. It might be one for a cab mic (=<2010).

I'm not trying to pimp the Nexus but Otterbox is releasing their defender series for the 7 very soon .

As for my GPS, I use CoPilot Live. I've noticed its not 100% accurate but it does have all the NF routes on it.

I thought guy was looking for tablet holder. Im not 100% on it. I thought it was ram. Here is the bracket.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17017_005.htm
Sent from my megaphone

· I Put the FU in FUN
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I got some of the parts in and installed. I'm just waiting on the GPS antenna now. The tablet actually tracks, but I've read that a proper antenna will work better.

Parts. Brackets and mount. Bracket that attaches to the radio screws was from Quadratec.

Bracket installed.

Tablet bracket ready.

Tablet installed

Works.

Big inclinometer. :)

I'm happy with it, but there is a little bounce to the bracket. I'm not unhappy with the bounce, but I'm sure on a bad stretch of road I might have an issue being able to read the screen.
It's not as thick as it should be to prevent it. I have a friend that may make one out of some thicker stock to see if we can get rid of the bounce.
I have the Go Pro app now and also a Back Country Navigator so I should be all set to run the trails in Moab and wherever else.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Bouncing was exactly my concern when I first looked at your plan. If you searched electrical of how to thread you'll see there's someone who mounted an iPad in the dash in replacement of his factory stereo. He uses the iPad for music movies navigation everything so this is probably more than you want to do but worth looking at.

When I get to a computer and have some time all try to find that link for you.

(Misspelled courtesy of my Samsung S3 keyboard.)

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Interesting ideas guys. I guess this is something I will have to look into at some point. But for now my little garmin GPS, iPhone, and maps will have to work. Got too many other mods on the list lol. I'd really like to do one of the new alpine headunits as they have great sound quality and you can use Garmin mapping software...only downside is I'm not sure that I wanna pay a grand for a headunit and expose it to all the dust and crap. I may just get a bigger automotive GPS with a larger memory and run Garmins topo maps on that. So long as it has a way points and a back track feature I should be ok.

· Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,131 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.