JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw a thread some time ago where someone tapped into the factory plug at the infinity sub this was done to bring signal back to the amp from the Stock head unit. However I did not have the Infinity sound system from the factory so I am not sure it that plug will even work for me. Anyone know?

But I was however thinking of tapping into the wires going to the sound bar, I am in no way a fan of cutting any part of a wiring harness especially on a new vehicle but it I do it will be soldered back together, and heat shrink installed to protect it. I do not do wire nuts or butt connectors, that is just asking for problems down the road.

Any Ideas on feeding the amp a signal form the factory head unit fairly easily?

I have power, Ground and remote wire already hooked up to the Amp and it powers on and off with the Ignition.

Just a peak at what I built.

*L* How my 2012 JK looks right now.

· Registered
224 Posts
Hey it looks good! It's been about 10 years since Ive done any stereo installing but I think there a device(converter) that has inputs for speaker wires from your factory stereo and outputs for rca'a to your amp. Its an easy job and any stereo shop should have the converter device.

An inexpensive stereo (Alpine, sony etc.) should give you much better audio than the factory head unit and it will have sub controls and rca outputs. Thats what I would do. You spent alot of time building that cool enclosure so you obviously care about your audio. Down the road if you upgrade and add speakers, your stock head unit will be the weak link in the system

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Yes down the road I will upgrade the speakers in the sound bar and in the dash to Kicker. The only thing about an aftermarket radio is theft even a cheap one I am afraid. Once the speaker cover installed when it comes back from the metal shop the amp and speaker will be very hard to see for the passing eye.

Thanks for advise on the connector I will look into one.

· Registered
34 Posts
yeah you can tap the speaker wires going to the sound bar for speaker level inputs. if you amp doesnt have an speaker level input then you'll have to get a converter to go from speaker level input to a set of RCA's. I put a 12" powered kicker enclosure in my jeep that I had around from my last on but thats about to go back on the shelf and the JK is getting a complete system over haul.
Good luck and I like the install make sure you post pics of it complete want to see what you are doing to "hide" the sub.

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went back to Best Buy today paid 15 bucks for a RCA Converter. Got it all wired up all put back together. Have to say I am very happy, I was looking for something I could hear going down the road no problem with this set up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.