JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed 1.5" wheel spacers yesterday, running stock Rubi rims / tires. I noticed at over 50mph I get a slight wobble in the wheel. This was NOT there before the spacers.

What would be causing this?

It is very slight but if you let go of the wheel while moving at this speed you can see it wobble slightly back and forth and can slightly feel it when holding it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Sounds like one of the tires is out of balance. It is probably just magnified by the decreased back spacing. I am assuming you are talking about a wobble in the steering wheel and not the wheel itself though.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Could well be the balance. I know that the BS can make a difference. One of the entries when setting up some balancers is the BS, may have to talk to someone who knows what they are doing and explain the spacers.

Make sure that you snugged up the lug nuts pretty tight before putting the wheel on the ground.

Also, remove the little clips off the lug bolts that are used to hold the caliper in place during production. They shouldn't cause an issue, but sometimes they have been to known to throw the mounting surface off a little.

Don't forget to re-torque the spacer lug nuts after 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is steering wheel wobble, the vehicle still goes down the road straight. Also, it is only noticed in the 40-50mph range, below or above that and no wobble. I had the tires balanced right before installing them.

However, I did not remove the retaining clips for the hubs. Thinking that could be the problem...maybe?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is steering wheel wobble, the vehicle still goes down the road straight. Also, it is only noticed in the 40-50mph range, below or above that and no wobble. I had the tires balanced right before installing them.

However, I did not remove the retaining clips for the hubs. Thinking that could be the problem...maybe?
I know the spydertrax spacers that I installed stated that the retainers HAD to be removed. I'll bet once you remove them, the little wobble will be gone. BTW- make sure to clean the surface where the spacer fits against the rotor once the clips are removed..

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Retaining clips have to go. I have been running Spyder 1.5" spacers for approx a year, with a few alignments. I have the same wobble at times, as well as some pothole wobble on surface streets. Get rid of the retainers so they seat nice and solid. Then live with or without them.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Clips MUST come off. Mine still had a wobble i resolved by balancing the wheels and spacers together(luckily i can play with it at work). Solved my issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts