Faded roll-bar padding? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Faded roll-bar padding?

Not much of a write-up but...

Without completely replacing the padding altogether, I had 2 options. The 1st option was to dye it. The 2nd option was to paint it.

Dyeing it: I tried this with a standard fabric dye and it did NOT work. It actually made things worse. I knew it probably wouldn't come out too well but went ahead and tried it anyway. Most fabric dyes are not intended for use on nylon so I knew going into this that it might not work. I had no idea that it would be so bad though. Matters were only made worse due to the fact that the particular dye I used specified to add salt to the mix. What I wound up with was an only marginally improved look ( that didn't last) with 2 additional problems... a nasty residue on the padding from the salt and corrosion on the ends of the zippers. It was bad enough that I couldn't even completely unzip the padding to remove it again. I even changed the ratio of dye/ water to get it REALLY black... still failed. So... DO NOT USE CONVENTIONAL DYE TO RESTORE ROLL-BAR PADDING BACK TO ORIG BLACK COLOR.

Painting it: Wow! This was the ticket. I wasn't able to remove the padding due to the stuck zippers so I couldn't adequately wash it like I wanted to. I did however, prep as best as I could by wiping it down with a damp rag and using a stiff brush to remove as much of the dirt, bird shit, and salt residue as I could. I then covered up the interior of the Jeep and taped off a few ares like the velcro, sound-bar connector, etc. I used KRYLON FUSION SATIN BLACK. I used a very light sweeping motion and never needed to saturate the padding... just a couple very light coats. The badly faded top and zipper along with the rest of the padding came out GREAT. It doesn't feel painted. The fabric is still very soft and flexible due to the light coats. Only drawback with doing it this way is that it might make it hard to unzip if you need to remove the padding later, but the benefit I believe is that it seems as if the paint will help to extend the life of the padding ( protecting it from any further UV damage). Paint dried in a matter of minutes and feels very supple.

You only need to remove the sound-bar which is quick and easy... disconnect the harness ( pass side) and remove 6 screws ( 10mm). Also helps to have the front freedom panels off if you have a hardtop.

***As you can see in the pictures, the faded padding is shown on the drivers side and the restored padding is shown on the passenger side.

Attached Images

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Granite Guru

I think that if you used SEM color-coat instead of the Krylon, you would not have to worry about it getting that hard or messing with the zippers. I have used both the Krylon and SEM stuff on interiors, and I don't think I will ever use the Krylon again unless I absolutely have too.

Just saying.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Where are the pics of Stub's woman? I thought for sure I had found them!!

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08detyelJP View Post
I think that if you used SEM color-coat instead of the Krylon, you would not have to worry about it getting that hard or messing with the zippers. I have used both the Krylon and SEM stuff on interiors, and I don't think I will ever use the Krylon again unless I absolutely have too.

Just saying.
Well.... it worked great for this application. Again... it's not hard and I really don't think it would mess with the zippers as long as it's not applied too heavy.

I've used the Fusion for a lot of other projects and it's always covered and held up well.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Where are the pics of Stub's woman? I thought for sure I had found them!!
That's a different "roll bar" and "padding" thread.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
That's a different "roll bar" and "padding" thread.
Link?!?!

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #7 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Link?!?!
You are the 2nd man today that has asked to see my link!!

Homos.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Well.... it worked great for this application. Again... it's not hard and I really don't think it would mess with the zippers as long as it's not applied too heavy.

I've used the Fusion for a lot of other projects and it's always covered and held up well.
I am a firm believer in using what you are comfortable with; and as long as it works, that is all that really matters.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Rock God

this was my choice and it worked great....2 cans for a 4 door...

Last edited by jeeperjkjeeper; 08-11-2013 at 06:25 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-20-2013, 06:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
You are the 2nd man today that has asked to see my link!!

Homos.
I heard it was "short arm" link.

Build thread:

post #11 of 16 Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

That is a good idea Stu! I don't have padding any more but I have a TJ buddy with faded padding so I'm gonna see if he wants to try this.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #12 of 16 Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Did it cover up the seat stains too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I heard it was "short arm" link.
You heard right!

But at least I don't have to grease my own zirk-fitting anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
That is a good idea Stu! I don't have padding any more but I have a TJ buddy with faded padding so I'm gonna see if he wants to try this.
It's been a week now and I couldn't be happier with the results. My buddy has a 2006 TJ with some fading and he picked up the DupliColor ( as recommended by jeeperjkjeeper) and we will be trying this out today or tomorrow for his, but I'm completely satisfied with the Fusion.

*Hope to see ya on the 6th. You can see both our rigs at the fireworks. Would be nice to see your rig again, Kev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Did it cover up the seat stains too?

Nothing would've covered those stains... except my ass!

Thankfully my g/f swallows!

post #14 of 16 Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Wheeler

Ahhhh new Jeep.....paint smell. Came out great! Thanks.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINMAN_2469 View Post
Ahhhh new Jeep.....paint smell. Came out great! Thanks.
Stub's jeep? Son that ain't new jeep smell and it sure ain't paint smell.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #16 of 16 Old 08-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Rock God

Dude...

I was just talking to Marcus about this and thinking if I wanted to paint them or do roll cage padding cut to length. Looks good, wondering about smudges though.

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode