Trucklite Headlight Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Trucklite Headlight Install

I found some cheap Trucklites on craigslist that I couldn't pass up. I wasn't going to pay the $500+ price on them if they were super bueno or not. The only bad thing about them is that the wiring was cut off and didn't come with a wiring harness. I didn't want to hack off the headlight harness on the jeep side in case I need to reinstall the stock headlights later. I found the Trucklite harness online so I purchased two. The harnesses show up and this is what I find.

I open the box to find this

Doesn't make since to me as the harnesses could have easily been placed in a shipping folder or a hella smaller box.

Here is a picture of the harness

And out of the packaging.

First step is to remove the grill.

From the rear of the grill, remove the turn signal housing then you can remove the grill.

There are six push pin thing a magigs that hold the top of the grill to the grill subframe.

To remove them, pull up on the pin and then wiggle the entire pin out.

Once the top of the grill is loose, pull on the bottom freeing the clips that secure the bottom to the subframe. Once the grill is free, set it to the side.

Using a T15 bit, remove the four screws from each headlight surrounding

The housing holds the headlight in place with pressure and once the screws are removed, the surrounding can be removed from the headlight.

Now is time to remove the headlight. The harness has a red pin that must be moved forward so you can disconnect the harness (same type as the door harness). Push the pin away and then compress the clip releasing the harness.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Now the meat and potatoes. The Trucklite harness has a male connector and a female connector.

The male connector goes on the jeep side harness

and the female connector goes onto the Trucklite headlight harness (if it was attached).

Since I don't have the harness connected to the Trucklite headlights I have to cut and splice in the new wires. Before I can do that though, I need to figure out which wires are for what (not only on the headlights but on the Jeep wiring harness. This is a perfect task for my Power Probe. If you're not familiar with the Power Probe, it works like a test light on steroids. Not only can you check for current but it will give you volts and can apply current to an accessory. Starting on the Jeep side, I turned the headlights on and tested the connectors then I did the same for the high beams. What I found was:

Driver:
White with blue tracer - Low beam
Black with green tracer - Ground
White with green tracer - High beam

Passenger:
Green with orange tracer - Low beam
Black with green tracer - Ground
White with gray tracer - High beam

Now to figure out the headlights. The headlights have three wires coming out of them (they had colored tape on each wire) with numbers stamped on the housing:

Using the Power Probe, I applied current to each wire and was able to figure out what each wire did:
17 (blue tape) was the high
91 (white tape) was the ground
18 (red tape) was the low

Finally, I needed to orientate the Trucklite harness to figure out which wires would go to which wires on the headlights. Plugging the male connector into the female connector on the Jeep I was able to see that:
Driver:
White with blue tracer matched up with the Green wire
Black with green tracer matched up with the White wire
White with green tracer matched up with the Red wire
Passenger:
Green with orange tracer matched up with the Green wire
Black with green tracer matched up with the White wire
White with gray tracer matched up with the Red wire

Now I had all the information that I needed to solder the harness in. In a nutshell it goes like this:

Driver:
Headlight: 17 (blue tape) Harness: Red wire Jeep Harness: White with blue tracer
Headlight: 91 (white tape) Harness: White wire Jeep Harness: Black with green tracer
Headlight: 18 (red tape) Harness: Green wire Jeep Harness: White with green tracer

Passenger:
Headlight: 17 (blue tape) Harness: Red wire Jeep Harness: White with gray tracer
Headlight: 91 (white tape) Harness: White wire Jeep Harness: Black with green tracer
Headlight: 18 (red tape) Harness: Green wire Jeep Harness: White with orange tracer

Last edited by texasmike74; 05-01-2013 at 10:55 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Now to solder. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of this but I just soldered the wires according to the the previous info and ended up with this:

Once I had both sides done, it was a five minute reinstall and test out. I plugged the harness in

and then I tested them out:

Low beams:

High beams:

And a comparison low and high:

Once I knew both sides worked properly, I just reinstalled the grill.

I didn't do any night time comparison pictures but the headlight shootout thread covered it quite well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Granite Guru

could these be picked up at a surplus store??

Chrome will not get you home............but it will get you dome

And sometimes that's all that matters if you have a bad day on the trail!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode