I just bed lined my 4-door with Monstaliner - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Talking I just bed lined my 4-door with Monstaliner

I finally got around to painting on my Monstaliner (bought it a couple of months ago). There are several good bed lining threads on this and other forums and I picked up some good tips. Thought I'd make a thread with everything I've found in my research and pass on my experience.

The Monstaliner web site says that 1-gallon is enough for a 2-door Jeep and I had seen differing quantities that people suggested for 4-doors so I bought 1-gallon and 1-quart. The gallon was more than enough so I'm going to save the quart for future touch up and maybe even do the roll bars like some people have done, but that's another project.

To start, make sure you pick up some gloves and face masks, this stuff is pretty caustic. The instructions said I should pick up some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) but all I could find was some MEK substitute (I guess it's like MEK light - lol)

There are pros and cons to removing the insulation goo that's laid down in the front, middle and rear areas at the factory. I decided to remove it, and it wasn't too tough just time consuming. I used a heat gun and a gasket removing tool. I used the heat gun to get it started and then the gasket remover worked well to chip the goo away.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I highly recommend removing the sound deadening goo. As I removed mine, I found lits of dirt underneath! It looks to me like this is a great place for rust to form, good thing I live in "Arid-zone-a "

I tied up all the cables with some string.
Attached Images

If you are going through hell, keep going.

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Last edited by Beastmaster; 04-28-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I followed the Monstaliner instructions and when it came to masking, I used tape for the drain holes and bolts. I picked up some ear plugs and put them in the bolt holes for the seats.

I picked up some large disposable food containers. After mixing the liner and catalyst, I poured half in one container (first coat) and half in the other (second coat). There were 3 containers in the package, and it's a good thing too. The instructions said to use a paint tray that was supposed to be included, needless to say it wasn't there. I was able to use the 3rd container as a paint tray. I took 5 hours to remove the seats, prep and mask the tub. It took me just over an hour for the first coat. It took 3 hours to dry and another hour for the second coat.
Attached Images

post #3 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

The instructions say to remove the masking tape as soon as you are done with the second coat. I highly recommend you do this since it will be extremely hard to do it when the liner dries. I removed all the ear plugs from the bolt holes and forgot one, it was hard removing it in the morning and it started coming apart in the hole because it was stuck to the liner.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Rock God

Nice job man. I'm gonna hopefully find time this summer to do mine. I'm gonna go the raptor liner route and try spraying it.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Rock God

Looks like it turned out really good! What'd you use to put it on, roller? If so how many did you go through?

"I'm just a big hairy American winnin' machine" - Ricky Bobby
post #6 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Does it stink?

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Rock God

Great job. Wanna do mine
post #8 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I thought you were having shoulder surgery? Looks good. Too late but I think if you use an impact gun with chisel attachment that the stupid "sound deadening" stuff comes out easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfish View Post
Looks like it turned out really good! What'd you use to put it on, roller? If so how many did you go through?
Short answer: Brush and Rollers

Long answer: Included in the kit was One 2" brush, Two 6" rollers, two 3" rollers and a 3" x 6" sponge. I used the brush for the corners, both of the wide rollers and one of the narrow rollers. I'm saving the sponge and the last narrow roller for the roll bar/touch up work I have planned for a future project. Just as a note: I ordered 1-gallon and 1-quart so I'm not 100% sure what would come with just the 1-gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
Does it stink?
It stinks to high heaven (both the liner and MEK) so I highly recommend a mask. I'm running my Jeep topless anyway, but my garage still stinks. I understand the smell goes away in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I thought you were having shoulder surgery? Looks good. Too late but I think if you use an impact gun with chisel attachment that the stupid "sound deadening" stuff comes out easier.
Thanks Jim An impast gun would have made it easier for sure but it wasn't too tough once I got a line started. Surgery has been pushed to the 22nd so I'm trying to do what I can before I have it in a sling for a month.

Last edited by Beastmaster; 04-28-2013 at 05:02 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
It stinks to high heaven (both the liner and MEK) so I highly recommend a mask. I'm running my Jeep topless anyway, but my garage still stinks. I understand the smell goes away in a few days.
I'd be interested to know how long it takes for the smell to go away. I want to like the tub of my Jeep but my bedroom is directly above the garage. I'm afraid the smell will work its way into the house.

Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

My garage is attached to the front of my house and the day of the lining some smell did leak through the door and into the house. I left the main garage door open all day (and the one to the house closed) and that night, I closed the garage door and opened all the windows in the house and the smell went away quickly.
I just checked my garage this morning and even though there is still a little smell lingering, I think it's due to the fact that I threw all my masking and cleaning supplies in the trash can there.
I can't attest to the smell in the Jeep because I'm still without top and doors (nice weather) but some people have said it lasts 2-3 days there.

Hope this helps.

post #12 of 17 Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Probably Stuck on my Diff

Looks good Lyle.

My TJ was bedlined with Herculiner, it took a good week for the smell to air out.

My JK that I raptor-lined took literally 2 months before the smell went away. I painted it during winter (50 degrees), and I think it affected the curing process making the smell last longer or something.

More Cowbell
post #13 of 17 Old 04-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

great job. Did you have to do anything with the seats after plugging them back in?
post #14 of 17 Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkRollen View Post
great job. Did you have to do anything with the seats after plugging them back in?
Ah, you remember my air bag problem from a while back.

I sprayed WD-40 in the connections to keep the water out and make a better connection. I also took Murray's advice and made extra sure they clicked into place well when I put them back together.

So far, so good, no air bag or check engine lights.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Wheeler

Are you satisfied with rolling it on vice spraying it? I only have the option to roll but everyone keeps telling me to spray it or don't do it at all.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel97 View Post
Are you satisfied with rolling it on vice spraying it? I only have the option to roll but everyone keeps telling me to spray it or don't do it at all.
Sorry, I didn't see your post.

Anyway, I like the texture and the only you're going to get that will be with one of their rollers. Besides, this stuff is so thick, rolling & brushing it on is the best way to get proper coverage IMO.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Great Job and post!! This looked much better than mine I did in the TJ. Im debating if I want to do this in the JKU I just got.

THE VERY BEST IN OFFROAD PARTS!!!
Jason

08 JKU Sahara that is a constant work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode