Cell Phone/GPS Mount Location - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to warcop
Cell Phone/GPS Mount Location

I went wheeling a few weekends ago and learned quickly that my wife can't read a GPS. So I struggled a for a few weeks about where to mount it without putting any holes in the dash that can't easily be covered up. I have a 2012 JKU Sport without power windows. This is what I came up with to avoid mounting it on top of the dash or the windshield. I did this project for less than $20.00.

I didn't get a picture of every step, but this project is easy to figure out. I had already stared on the project when I thought that this would be a good write up for someone else who may want to try this.

Photo 1: Supplies. I bought a small L-shaped bracket at Lowes and a handful of small screws and bolts. I found the mount at the PX on Fort Bliss. This photo is of the bracket, a washer I cut down and the disassembled mount.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oside5ka Send a message via Yahoo to Oside5ka

am i blind i dont see a photo

2011 JKU Rubi 2 1/2" Rough Country, 35's, Mile Marker 9k winch.
2011 Polaris RzR s
2000 Ford Explorer Lifted on 33's (Dead) Roll over)
2007 Sportsman 800
2003 Suzuki Eigor 4x4 (Dead rearended the Sportsman, Guts transfered to a Golfcart)
1996 Yamaha Banshee Stroked with all the goodies
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oside5ka View Post
am i blind i dont see a photo
Yes you are blind, there are six photos.

Warcop

2012 JKU Sport, Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex, Smittybilt SRC Side Armor, Mesh Grille MOD, Sony Double DIN AV Receiver, Back up Camera, Kicker Speaker Upgrade, ARB Twin Compressor, Dominion Off Road High Lift Mount, Homemade Paracord Grab Handles, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Paramount Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, KC Hilites Daylighters, under seat lock box, Metal Cloak Front Bumper, BARTACT Seat Covers, BARTACT Sun Shade, x20 Comp Winch, sPOD, ARB Air lockers, 4.10 Gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

That's a good idea. I watched my blackberry sail out of my open window turning off Dyer street a while back. I went with the Daystar upper dash panel with some tool cabinet liner to reduce slippage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

This combo works great on the street. My GPS feel out once when I was wheeling, when I am offroad I just put a rubber band around the GPS to keep it in the mount.

Warcop

post #6 of 6 Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Figured I would just place this here to make future searches easier on people looking for different options. This is what I did and it as worked well so far. Now just to figure out how to get a USB port moved up there.

Picked these up from Amazon.

RAM Mount X-Grip Holder for Smartphone / GPS / Radar Detector 41323

Daystar KJ71039BK - 11-13 Jeep; Dash Panel; Black; Upper; w/Universal Ball Mount

Then I sourced a Garmin GPS mount from a spare to destory.

Cut and cleaned up the Garmin mount. Smooth the back of the RAM mount.

Used these to stick them together. Holds really well.

End Results works well with Iphone and my Garmin.

IPhone 5 will work both vertical and horizontal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode