RockJock brake caliper upgrade - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
GKR
Granite Guru

RockJock brake caliper upgrade

When I ran my 44, I had installed the Teraflex big brake kit and optional master cylinder. When I swapped to the RJ's, I still have the larger rotors but had to go back to the original single piston calipers. They do work pretty well but was curious about adapting a dual piston caliper with larger pads. Looked around at Napa and decided on these from an 08 Ram 1500 4x4.

Picked up so 1/2" thick bar stock and started roughing out the new mounting adapters.

Drilled and tapped. Had to get some longer bolts due to the mounting ears of the calipers being wider. Also had to reduce the size of the spacer to account for these.

All mounted up and compared to stock caliper

Nice pedal feel and great braking power. I don't have any scientific data to compare but "seat of pants" says well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Rock God

How much for a set? And they would work on stock axles too?
post #3 of 22 Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Paging all vendors-make a bracket for a 44/30 and they will sell like bacon!!!

Is this thing on?

www.4x4s-pod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Granite Guru

I just went to the Napa web site and looked up the imfo you gave and these seem to be the ones. Do you know for sure? It shows they are $70
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...59A_0248589152

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...60A_0248589140

Can you post a pic from the other side so we can see how the bracket looks bolted up. Like beedle4 asked, will this work on a stock axle?
Thank You.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

Also what size rotors?

07 unlimited LS 6.2 6l80 auto 3" black diamond 37" TOYO MT Trailready beadlocks arb's frt & rear
post #6 of 22 Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
GKR
Granite Guru

It's the mounting ear seperation of the F450 outers that allows enough room for the adapter bracket. Pretty sure this won't work on 44/30's due to space limitations.

Those are the Napa part numbers I used.

RJ comes with 13.5 rotors.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Granite Guru

Time to have someone start making those brackets! i'd buy a set in a heart beat

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
post #8 of 22 Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Rock God

I'm going to do this mod next week. Picked up the calipers for the front and the rear today.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Rock God

GKR, i did this mod and it worked great!

Stopping is greatly improved but the peddle feel is the same. I am going to upgrade the master cylinder and see if this help. I am also going to see how much it would cost to get the bracket and the spacer machined if anyone is interested.

Last edited by md_rubi; 08-01-2014 at 01:13 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 AM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Paging all vendors-make a bracket for a 44/30 and they will sell like bacon!!!

Is this thing on?
Agreed someone chime in here

Artec ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #11 of 22 Old 06-23-2014, 05:55 AM
JKO Addict!

How about ruff stuff ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 22 Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 AM
CUNT

Location: The Land of the Polite, Where shits covered in Ice.

i want to put ram calipers front and rear
someone make a bracket kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadole View Post
As previously mentioned, the key step in this process is saturating those whores in piss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunder View Post
I just gotta say.. When you're being butt hurt by your fudge packer minions.. how do you decide which one gets to pull the pony tail n who's left to cup the balls.. If there is any..
post #13 of 22 Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Wheeler

bracket

I have RJ 60's and would be interested in a set of brackets.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Rock God

i got 10 sets made. let me know if any of you guys want a set. I only have the brackets, spacers, and the new grade8 bolts. you'll need to get your own calipers and pads. BTW. NAPA told my factory JK calipers and credited me $90!
post #15 of 22 Old 08-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
i looked at the rear but it would be lot easier to get an entire new set of calipers and ebrake. also not all ram1500s have dual piston calipers.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Wheeler

I'll buy a bracket set

I have been looking for some type of upgrade like this for a while. I am running a dana 60 up front from an f-350 superduty but the knuckles are the same as the RJ. I have been using Currie's adapter bracket and caliper set but want a dual piston set. The Terraflex Big Brake kit does not fit well. The rotors would have to be turned out for the larger unit bearing and the rotors have a different height then the Currie rotors that already fit well. The calipers of the Terra flex kit look similar to the 1500's but the mounting area is recessed for the bolt up to the stock D44 knuckles.

Anyway, how much for a set of your brackets, bolting, and such?

39.5X16.50X17 Pitbull Rockers bias on 5X5.5 Allied racing beadlocks, Rock Krawler 3 link long arms front and rear, Dana60 Currie Rockjock rear 5.38 detroit locker, 14" Fox coilovers all around, Currie Anti-rock sway bar front and back, Poison Spyder rockbrawler front bumper.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmavisnj View Post
I have been looking for some type of upgrade like this for a while. I am running a dana 60 up front from an f-350 superduty but the knuckles are the same as the RJ. I have been using Currie's adapter bracket and caliper set but want a dual piston set. The Terraflex Big Brake kit does not fit well. The rotors would have to be turned out for the larger unit bearing and the rotors have a different height then the Currie rotors that already fit well. The calipers of the Terra flex kit look similar to the 1500's but the mounting area is recessed for the bolt up to the stock D44 knuckles.

Anyway, how much for a set of your brackets, bolting, and such?
the mountng point to the axles should work since they are mated to the cureie axles. what size rotors do you have? these brackets are designed to work with the 13.5" rotors from currie and the ram1500 calipers.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Wheeler

I have been trying to decide between going this route and maybe trying to go with the BR6 brake upgrade in the other thread. This sounds much cheaper, and easier to do. Does anyone have this setup and maybe tried the BR6 upgrade ? I am thinking that this along with a hd master cylinder would do the trick. How is this setup with a better master cylinder ? and would you choose the teraflex one or the BR6 hd?

OK, I just reread the thread again. This seems like a no brainer since I have RJ's. What master cylinder would best go with this ?

I do not know the differences between the RJ and stock axle configuration yet to make a good decision.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Wheeler

I may have confused you. I am using the same Currie 1 ton setup with their brake kit, it's just the axle and knuckles that are F-350. The Rockjock is modeled after this axle. My rotors measure 13.3" but these are the ones from Currie. I even called the to see if they have tried using a daul piston caliper on their 1 ton set up and they said they haven't. It just makes sense to upgrade to a havier brake when upgrading the axle. Maybe you should let them in on your bracket/ caliper find. Or just make some side money selling it lol.

Have you tried using the Terraflex HD master cylinder up grade with it yet? I have one but wasn't going to swap out the stock one until I feel if it really needs it. Some say it's spongy after installing dual calipers but I wouldn't know yet.

so what's your price shipped to 08083?

39.5X16.50X17 Pitbull Rockers bias on 5X5.5 Allied racing beadlocks, Rock Krawler 3 link long arms front and rear, Dana60 Currie Rockjock rear 5.38 detroit locker, 14" Fox coilovers all around, Currie Anti-rock sway bar front and back, Poison Spyder rockbrawler front bumper.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_rubi View Post
i got 10 sets made. let me know if any of you guys want a set. I only have the brackets, spacers, and the new grade8 bolts. you'll need to get your own calipers and pads. BTW. NAPA told my factory JK calipers and credited me $90!
any chance you are still making these? love to upgrade my rj60

dan!
'07 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited
Latest mod: front RJ60, ARB, f450 outer knuckles, lockout hubs
post #21 of 22 Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Rock God

I have 10 sets left. I am not looking to make any money but i would like to break even on these. the raw materals i purchased alloed for 10 sets and thought other jeeps would like this mod. email me at [email protected]. I don't always check the forums these days.

thanks
post #22 of 22 Old 03-13-2015, 06:42 PM

Forgive me for resurrecting this antique, but just looking for for some clarity....

md_rubi,'s brackets will not fit on my OEM dana 30 front? I got all excited reading about using dual piston Ram calipers but I think most of what I am reading involves bad arse front axles/knuckles not my little dana 30.

So if that is true, it begs the question, how the heck do I upgrade my 2015 JK brakes on the cheap? Hawk or EBC pads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode