Uniden Pro 520 XL Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Uniden Pro 520 XL Install

Write-Up Photos can be found here: http://jeepxchange.com/article/unide...20-xl-install/

When youíre trying to get your Jeep trail ready the first thing most people get dialed in is their suspension and tires. After that there is seemingly an unlimited number of other things to do but one that can really make enhance your experience out on the trail is a CB Radio. Enjoying the trial is one thing but being able to get updates, chat, joke, with a group of friends while on the trail makes the trip all that more enjoyable.

There are a ton of options for CBís out there, I chose the Uniden Pro 520 XL for itís compactness and that the speaker is loud enough to hear without installing an external speaker system. I donít know enough about CBís to piece one together so I ordered the Uniden 520 Jeep & Off-Road Kit from RightChannelRadios which came with just about everything I needed. With a little ingenuity, the help of my friends from Cavalry 4◊4, and an ice cold beverage in hand the process was quite straight forward and enjoyable.

What Youíll Need
CB Kit: Uniden Pro 520 XL or Uniden Pro 510 XL, Teraflex JK CB Mount Kit, Wilson Flex Antenna,

Tools: The Basics Stuff (screwdriver, wrenches, sockets, pliers, etc..) , Drill, 5′ Ė 6′ of extra wire, soldering iron, shrink tube, Electrical Wire Terminals Ė Ring, Washers, nuts, long thin bolt.

Uniden Pro 520 XL Install
Step 1. Remove your top (makes running coax cable easier) and the spare tire and the two bolts on the passenger side of the spare tire mount. Place the Teraflex antenna mount in position then use the supplied hardware to bolt on the antenna mount. You must use the supplied hardware because the factory bolts are too short.

Step 2. Remove the plastic panels on the driver side of the tailgate and the top of the tailgate. Remove rubber plug just below the newly installed antenna mount. Drill a hole in the center of the plug then cut a slit from the hole to end of the plug. Slide the plug over the end of your Coax Cable (Leave enough from for it to reach the antenna mount).

Step 3. Run the other end of the Coax Cable through the bottom of the tailgate reach through the panel opening to pull the cable through (still inside the tailgate) then run it up to the top part of the tail gate, pull it through one of the holes and run it along the outside of the top panel (follow the other wiring).

Step 4. Run your coax cable along the roll bar on the passenger side to your desired destination. Because of the length of the supplied cable I ended up running the cable all the way to the front passenger section, looped it under the roll bar then came back through the sound bar (making sure that I am not near the part of the coax cable)

Step 5. I have a soft top and did not want to drill into my sound bar so I decided to use the existing holes on the passenger side of the the sound bar to mount my bracket. Install CB Mounting Bracket using a series of washers and nuts (Special thanks to Travis, my personal MacGyver for figuring how to do this)

Step 6. Using the supplied hardware install your CB

Step 7. At this point you know you have enough wire so you can install the antenna

Step 8. If you mounted your CB to the sound bar the supplied power wires wonít be long enough to run back through the passenger sound bar and down tho the battery, youíll need to extend the wire and add a Electronic wire terminals for the ground and hot wires.

Step 9. When you get juice to the CB, you can give it a try (You know you want to), zip everything back up, and youíre done

Notes: The kit comes with a SWR Meter which youíll use to tune your antenna. Like I said in the beginning I donít know much about CBís but Right Channel Radios came through again with this Fantastic Video on how to tune your antenna.

I have no affiliation to Right Channel Radio except that they took my money and sent me a CB. Iím giving them props because they earned it. Their service was beyond what Iím used to when dealing with most online retailers (even most brick and mortar retailers) and even though I changed my order (Originally ordered a Firestick FS 4′ antenna) they got the order changed and everything delivered on time and without error.

2008 Sahara Unlimited Rescue Green
RockKrawler 2.5" Flex System
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
SpiderWeb SW1 JK-4D Top
Smittybilt Grab Handles
AntennaX 13" Off-Road Antenna
Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper (Chopped)
More to come

Find and Sell Your Used Parts on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Granite Guru

thanks for the info...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode