DIY Quick Disconnect with stock endlinks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

DIY Quick Disconnect with stock endlinks

Well, I got bored today and decided to tinker on the Jeep before this weekends adventures. I happened to be at Home Depot and saw Clevis Pins for cheap and decided to make some quick discos. I picked up 2 universal Clevis Pins, 7/16" X 2 1/2" and the Locking pins to go with it. Back at the house I dug through my scrap drawer and found some washers to fit, pulled the lower bolt from the endlinks and replaced them with the pin. I just pull the pin, strap the sway and endlink up and head out on the trail. They do make a little bit of a rattle on the road when connected, but they've survived both abuse on the trail (still connected to see if they would break) and on the road. High speed cornering through a long sweeper brings very minor slop in the body sway (due to the play in the link), but I don't think many of us drive our Jeeps through On/Off Ramps like a racecar. I had to take it out to an abandoned airstrip to notice the slop
Here's the pics and enjoy your new $6 Quick Disco's.

Tell me what you think

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 AM
Rock God

I have done this to a few XJ's. While I was digging through one of my ammo cans the other day I found more of the hardware to make more and wondered if the JK would work in the same.

looks like it will.

nice job.

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #3 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 04:55 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I used the same hardware to make my stow away pins for my links....just curious if those have the strength to hold up when connected.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Rock God

With all the holes, I see them bending very easy when loaded up.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 05:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
just curious if those have the strength to hold up when connected.
x2, those pins aren't a very hard material. They work well when put in double sheer on light applications..but a sway bar see's a pretty decent load. With it in single sheer with a decent moment on it by the end of the bushing, it may not last too long.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

We'll see how they hold this weekend, I'm going to stay connected for the first part of the day and see how they hold. They already held with me climbing one tire up on a slab at the runway...maxed out the connected flex....hell if they break, it'll cost a couple bus to replace.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

Don't be surprised if the head of the pin pulls through the washers.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold693 View Post
....hell if they break, it'll cost a couple bus to replace.
I would worry more about them breaking in a hard turn and loosing control of the jeep more than the cost of replacing them.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #9 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILWB View Post
I would worry more about them breaking in a hard turn and loosing control of the jeep more than the cost of replacing them.
This.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

People have been running clevis pin disconnects for years without issues (the pin does wear out over time, but they're cheap to replace) so why would the now no longer work?

I'm just curious on your thoughts. The head is where all the strain would be and there's no holes right there, so it's decently strong. If the force was able to push on strictly the end not at the tab then it'd be a different story in my opinion, but as it is the pressure is distributed evenly along the pin and only the head really gets the tension.

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...
post #11 of 13 Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Good points by all, my concern for them breaking in a turn might be lessened considerably by the fact that I'm out here on Guam and the highest speed limit on island is 35. I would probably be less inclined to run them full time stateside where there are speed limits up to 85 in some areas. Risk of an emergency maneuver on the interstate with my boy in the back would leave a lot less room for experimenting with hardware store suspension components. Tomorrow I will take a look at them and see how everything is holding up and let y'all know. I put the whole suspension through hell yesterday with the sway connected the whole time. I was trying to see if I COULD break the pins, kinda surprised we didn't break anything else in the process Keep the conversation going, I want to hear everyone's opinions/experience on this to see if I want to make any changes.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-04-2012, 04:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'll have to try this! I was saying that I should do something like this once I saw the price of the jks disconnects..

Sent from my iPhone 5!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #13 of 13 Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sorry it took so long to get back, just got back from a trip with the family. So, after putting this setup through hell (connected the whole time), the outer washers had slight warping, but everything else was fine. I'm going to head to the hardware store and dig through the garage to find a thicker/stronger outer washers and go out and try to break 'em again. I'll keep giving updates until I get it solid. If anyone has their own ideas for reinforcement, post them up. So far absolutely no problems with the pins! I am going to find some kind of rubber spacer to put in to cut down on the rattles, though.

Edit-swapped out for better fitting washers and had no warping after last outing.

Last edited by Cold693; 11-12-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode