Another GPS mount thread. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Another GPS mount thread.

So, I bought my GF a new Mazda3, and was feeling a little jealous of the creature comforts of her interior. I can live without power locks/windows, and I am not a fan of leather seats (especially heated ones). My "sunroof" is better than hers any day. So, I postulated that what I was really jealous of is her navigation system. I looked into getting a stock nav, but it seemed like overkill for me since I don't listen to music and am perfectly happy with my 5 preset AM stations. My solution was get some RAM mount products, a GPS, and somehow hide the charging cord. I used the search function on the forums and got a plan.

Since I don't have power windows I have this little "cubby" hole in the dash. This is the perfect spot to mount it. So I bought the following:

(This was $4.99 at the auto parts store)

I pulled the upper dash off and exposed my work area. I spliced into the positive (purple) wire of the existing 12v outlet using the 3M splice connector that came with the new 12v socket. I didn't like the connectors that came with the outlet so I went to HD and bought some good quality insulated ones and a crimp tool. I also upgraded the wire that came with it. Once I grounded the new socket, I plugged in the Garmin DC charger and ran the mini usb connector up through the area where the "cubby" would be. I hid everything and put the lower dash area back together. Finally I drilled two holes in the bottom of the cubby (you can pull this out of the dash easily). I ran the charger cable through one, and using some washers and a 1/4" nut secured the ram mount in there.

Finished product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Nice. do you think they make longer mounts so that you could angle it more towards you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice work. Good job!

Carolina Metal Masters makes a grab bar with a RAM mount on it for those not too mechanically inclined.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Nice. do you think they make longer mounts so that you could angle it more towards you.
Yes, they do. I bought the stubby one because I was originally going to mount it on the grab bar (like the CMM one mentioned below). Also, this one could have been mounted further out, but I personally like it sitting flush. The cool thing about the RAM mount is that I can always change my mind later and get the longer arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Nice work. Good job!

Carolina Metal Masters makes a grab bar with a RAM mount on it for those not too mechanically inclined.
I love their mount but not the price tag. I actually contacted them asking if I could buy just the ball, but they said it wouldn't work on a stock bar because they had tried it already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode