Official GoPro Reference Thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Official GoPro Reference Thread

I couldn't sleep so I decided to share my GoPro experience with the JKO community and answer common questions. I'll update this thread later with pictures of where I like to mount my GoPro and other tips & tricks as I remember them. I will try to answer any questions as best as I can. I shot, edited and did visual effects for commercials and feature films for 10 years.

What format do I shoot my GoPro videos with?
The GoPro Hero 2 has the following video settings:
WVGA, 60 frames per second, 848x480
WVGA, 120 frames per second, 848x480
720, 30 frames per second, 1280x720
720, 60 frames per second, 1280x720
960, 30 frames per second, 1280x960
960, 48 frames per second, 1280x960
1080, 30 frames per second, 1920x1080

First let me explain the frame rates. When you watch tv at home the video is displayed at 30 frames per second. If you record a video at 30 frames per second and play it back on your tv you will watch it in real time. If you record video at 60 frames per second and play it back on your tv, you will watch it at half-speed. The 60 frames you recorded in 1 second will take 2 seconds to play back at 30 frames per second. The higher the frame rate you record at, the slower the video will appear to play back. Use the WVGA, 120 frames per second setting for ultra slow-motion videos.

As for resolution, only the 1080 setting records in full 1920x1080 HD resolution. The other settings offer close-to-HD resolution and take up less space on your memory card.

Here is a chart demonstrating the different resolution settings proportionally. Note that it isn’t full-size.

What is the best setting for YouTube videos?
Planning on uploading your videos to YouTube? Remember that you can always compress your footage, but you can’t give your footage a better quality (scaling doesn’t work). I never shoot in a resolution lower than 1080.

How do I edit my GoPro videos?
I have a Mac and use Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premier. I recently upgraded to Final Cut Pro X and am still riding the fence on if I like it or not. But these options cost money! GoPro offers a FREE app that works for both Mac & PC, called CineForm Studio and can be downloaded from their site here. I haven’t used this software. Keep in mind that GoPro files are processor heavy and will be taxing on your system to edit.

What is the best way to export my GoPro videos for YouTube?
Save your videos as high of quality as you can and let YouTube compress it for you. I export my videos from Final Cut Pro as ProRes 4:2:2 files (not HQ). A 15-minute video is typically 18 GB and will take 15-20 hours to upload. If you aren’t sure, export in the native GoPro codec, MP4 and at the same resolution you shot at.

How do I clean the GoPro lens?
Be careful when cleaning the GoPro camera lens (on the actual camera body, not the polycarbonate case). The lens is a finely machined and polished surface that is coated with special chemicals to eliminate lens flare and affects other image characteristics. If it needs to be cleaned don’t wipe it with your dirty, sweaty t-shirt- it’s like rubbing the lens with sandpaper and ruins the coating. Use either lens cleaning paper or microfiber wipes, both are available at photo supply stores. I can’t stress enough how sensitive the lens coating is. You can order replacement housing lenses from GoPro.

Where do I mount my GoPro on my Jeep?
You can mount it anywhere! Get creative and use the mounts with your kit. I recommend the Motorsports edition that comes with the suction cup mount. Be careful when using this mount. Surfaces need to be VERY clean or it will fall off. The suction cup can also mar the finish of your paint. Later I'll post some pics of where I like to mount mine. My favorite spot is on my headlight (only during the day).

How long does the GoPro battery last?
I typically get about a half day of wheeling from one battery. I don’t mean I have the GoPro on for half a day, but that I can shoot many trail runs before it dies. The battery usually runs out before the memory card is full so I carry an extra battery.

What kind of memory card should I get and how big?
Memory cards have ratings for how fast they can record data. Look for an SDHC card that is Class 4 or class 10, up to 32 GB. The camera doesn’t recognize cards larger than 32GB. A 16 GB card will get you about 2.5 hours of HD video. Here is an article that goes into data transfer rates and card ratings if you want more detail.

Here is a video I shot entirely with a GoPro mounted on the end of a 6' paint roller extension using their tripod mount and a 1/4" screw. There is a link in my sig to my YouTube channel if you want to see my other videos.
Rock Crawling at SMORR - YouTube

I hope I answered your general GoPro questions. If you didn't find what you are looking for consult your user manual. If you lost yours here is a link to the Hero 2 manual.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Berserker; 10-11-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

[this post is a placeholder for future content]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Granite Guru

you have any advice for wind noise? i use mine on road for my buddies mustang and other cars along with off road but on road its constant wind noise..

07 Rubicon 2Dr. RC. Evo. Nitro. Alloy. Smittybilt. BFG. G2. Ruffstuff. IPF. PSC. RK. ACE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Jeepineer

Garage

Ill have to disagree with you on your frame rate comment. Playback will be the same no matter what format you shoot in, but as you're editing if you have intensions of slowing the video down, the higher frame rates will allow smoother video at slower speed. Maybe I just miss understood you?

I shoot all my skiing video in 60fps. Wheeling either in 30 or 60fps.

Nice resource tho! I agree the new Final Cut Pro leaves a lot to be desired. I have premier pro CS5.5 and it works very well for editing.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #5 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

One thing I would mention is if you are mounting your gopro outside of the vehicle, use a lanyard or leash if you can. I learned this the hard way, although I lost mine snowboarding not wheeling. That was a $350 mistake.

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Paramount front and rear bumpers
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
post #6 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDPJK View Post
you have any advice for wind noise? i use mine on road for my buddies mustang and other cars along with off road but on road its constant wind noise..
There's not much of anything you can do for wind and road noise. You can use an external mic with the skeleton case or record the audio on a separate device (inside the vehicle) and later sync them in the edit. Audio quality is definitely a weak point for the GoPro.

post #7 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
Ill have to disagree with you on your frame rate comment. Playback will be the same no matter what format you shoot in, but as you're editing if you have intensions of slowing the video down, the higher frame rates will allow smoother video at slower speed. Maybe I just miss understood you?

I shoot all my skiing video in 60fps. Wheeling either in 30 or 60fps.

Nice resource tho! I agree the new Final Cut Pro leaves a lot to be desired. I have premier pro CS5.5 and it works very well for editing.
You are correct that playback on a computer will be at "normal speed". To create the slow motion effect the footage would need to be slowed down by 50% (if shot at 60 frames per second) in the edit to equal the 30 frames per second standard. My post was assuming a 30 frames per second video. Youtube doesn't accept 60fps video uploads. Here is a list of acceptable frame rates to upload to Youtube.

Here is a video demonstrating 30fps vs 60fps when played back at live speed. Note that the entire clip is actually 30fps. The 60fps looks sharper because there is less motion blur in each frame. When the video plays the "slow motion", the 60fps is playing back at 30fps and the 30fps footage was interpolated (either a combination of frames, frames are repeated or the computer had to render an in-between). I hope that helps and thanks for bringing up a good point.

GoPro HD Hero 30fps vs. 60fps - YouTube

post #8 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDPJK View Post
I mute the video during editing then add music. The microphone is definitely not the GoPro's strong point. I seem to always pick up a rattle noise anytime I use the clear case.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #9 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snksknr94 View Post
I mute the video during editing then add music. The microphone is definitely not the GoPro's strong point. I seem to always pick up a rattle noise anytime I use the clear case.
Might want to check your camera to see if it rattles with out the case. Mine made a clicking noise all the time. I ended up sending it back to GoPro and they replaced my camera. I get less wind noise when I use the skeleton back case(one with slots in it)

Just have to add...if you haven't added the Wi-Fi back back, get it! best add on if you run it on a vehicle.

Go Play Outside.
post #10 of 71 Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny View Post
Might want to check your camera to see if it rattles with out the case. Mine made a clicking noise all the time. I ended up sending it back to GoPro and they replaced my camera. I get less wind noise when I use the skeleton back case(one with slots in it)

Just have to add...if you haven't added the Wi-Fi back back, get it! best add on if you run it on a vehicle.
Without the case I get no rattle. I haven't tried the skeleton back yet. I just picked up the LCD backpack for it. Makes it a lot easier to see what I'm filming now. The wifi backpack works with a smart phone, correct?

Aaron
post #11 of 71 Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by snksknr94 View Post
Without the case I get no rattle. I haven't tried the skeleton back yet. I just picked up the LCD backpack for it. Makes it a lot easier to see what I'm filming now. The wifi backpack works with a smart phone, correct?
Yes but only the iPhone. They are working on the Droid app right now.

post #12 of 71 Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Yes but only the iPhone. They are working on the Droid app right now.
That'll work for me. I'll have to look into it.

Aaron
post #13 of 71 Old 10-12-2012, 02:59 PM
JKowners Vendor

I second the BacPac BUT, I am not to found of the new IPhone app. There is about a 4-6 second delay in the video on the phone. I do however really like the remote when wheeling! Makes life a lot easier!!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #14 of 71 Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

What software does everyone like to use to edit? I have a Sony program. However, everytime I use it I always find a problem.

.................................................. ......................
08 detonator yellow JK rubi.RIPP super charger 3.5" Rock Krawler X factor long arm, with 2.5 remote res Coil overs, 37" mtr/k's,. With a bunch of other fun stuff!
post #15 of 71 Old 10-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Rock God

post #16 of 71 Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Wheeler

I haven't been wheeling since GoPro finally released the iPad wifi app. While my son was doing his Muay Thai training, I synced up the camera to the iPad mounted on the dash for the first time. This should be fun to play with next trip!
The delay kinda sucks, but just being able to preview/adjust my POV and control the camera or cameras when they're mounted outside will be great. Now I just need a few more cameras!

post #17 of 71 Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocati View Post
I haven't been wheeling since GoPro finally released the iPad wifi app. While my son was doing his Muay Thai training, I synced up the camera to the iPad mounted on the dash for the first time. This should be fun to play with next trip!
The delay kinda sucks, but just being able to preview/adjust my POV and control the camera or cameras when they're mounted outside will be great. Now I just need a few more cameras!

What iPad mount is that you have?
post #18 of 71 Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocati View Post

That's awesome! You could use that as a spotter cam, just like what Land Rover does. Some models have cameras mounted infront of the tires so you can line up with obstacles.

post #19 of 71 Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Hero2 or Hero3 White? Same price. Which do I get?

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #20 of 71 Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanueh View Post
x2 on this question.
post #21 of 71 Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the Carolina Metal Masters iPad mount. Mounts on the passenger side grab handle, not in the center console.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #22 of 71 Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Hero2 or Hero3 White? Same price. Which do I get?
If you can get them or the same price, go wit the Hero 3. It's got wi-fi already built into it, plus it has the flat lens like the Hero did. Makes underwater video clear without having to spend $50 on another housing.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #23 of 71 Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanueh View Post
It's homemade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
That's awesome! You could use that as a spotter cam, just like what Land Rover does. Some models have cameras mounted infront of the tires so you can line up with obstacles.
That's a good idea, I'll have to try it out! I'm not sure how well it will do with the delay, but if nothing else, I'll get some good video out of it.
post #24 of 71 Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

subscribed. Had my GoPro for at least a year and really need to use it more. Heading to Windrock this weekend and plan to mount it up and shoot some video.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #25 of 71 Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Anyone come up with a safe place (ie. they've tried it and the GoPro lived to film another day) to stick a GoPro under the jeep while rockcrawling? I want to capture the front axle and a tire(s?) articulating, but the obvious places to me make the camera low hanging fruit for rocks or too close to catalytic converter.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode