How to install Xpel headlight protection film - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

How to install Xpel headlight protection film

Well this is part of our much larger Headlight Shootout and I figure that if you are going to spend the cash to upgrade your headlights you may as well spend a little more and protect your investment.

Expel headlight protection film is a thick clear ahesive backed plastic of some kind. Flexible and THICK. did I mention thick?

its optically clear but is also available in tints and colors. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING THIS OFF THE VEHICLE !!! This would not be fun with the headlights already installed

If you order it for factory JK headlights the film will be notched due to the serious dome that is on the factory lights.

For most non-factory lights you can manhandle and work the non-notched stuff to fit moderately domed and curved lights. That is what I am going to show here.

Your kit will include the protecting film, instructions and a squeegee. You will also need some items to make life suck less: alcohol mixed 1:2 with water in a spray bottle, some paper towels, a lint free cloth and a hair drier or heat gun if you want. I am doing this WITHOUT a heat gun.

first is clean the everlovin shit out of your headlights. clean clean clean...no wax ,dirt, bugs, astroglide, human remains...nothing.

Next we do the install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

using the spray mixture go and wet your hands and fingers, this keeps your fingers from sticking to the film back. Peel the protective paper off and hose the entire back of it with spray.

Next center your film on the headlight adhesive side down and touch just the center. You will be working from the center out on a domed headlight to control any bubbles. on a flat headlight you can work from one side to the other.

now spray the outside of the film to allow the squeegee or fingers to glide on the surface. I did NOT use the squeegee as they do not work well on a dome. Using my fingers and taking my time I worked from the middle on out.

here is where it gets tricky. Its tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on ti...... sorry... shiny object
The spray mix also makes the adhesive not as hardcore when its still "wet", it goes back to its aggressiveness as the stuff evaporates off or is squeezed off. So your choice is either have it be very aggressive and risk air bubbles or have it wet and take your time. Your call. Just working from the middle out it will start to stick nicely and as you get to the edge you will start to get "pinches". Work the middle of each pinch to make it into 2 smaller ones and repeat till its done. You may have to hold the pinch down for a few sec to allow the adhesive to stick well.

Done, it looks like this. No hairdrier or heat was used. Mind you some heat would make it a LOT quicker.

And done you have applied some serious protection to your headlights from rocks and road damage.

I also HIGHLY recommend helpers with all of your installs. If you are in the norfolk,VA and would like one of my assistants to help you will all of your JK needs I have some available to keep.

(they need a good home)

Now for the test video.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Wheeler

Hey, thank you very much for this write-up. Much appreciated!!

And Man are those kitties cute!! Thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM

kit number

thanks for the writeup.
Can you tell me what is the kit number? since you mentioned that it was not the part number for the stock lights (H1803A), because of the notched parts.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep HB View Post
thanks for the writeup.
Can you tell me what is the kit number? since you mentioned that it was not the part number for the stock lights (H1803A), because of the notched parts.
just tell them its for regular 7" headlights or use any early model vehicle that had them. (1965 Jeep CJ-5)
post #7 of 11 Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Wheeler

Great review

First I'd just like to say thank you for your write up. well done. I did a lot of research and your article was well done.

Second i'm going to follow your advice on the xpel film. Can you post a link to the film you used on your Jw's (or part #)? I have the same lights.

Thanks again.

2011 JKU Bright White Mojave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Granite Guru

I used them on my glass foglights on my old maxima... Instead of paying the 100+ dollars each from certifit once a year and I found that the glass still broke only it took longer lol and of course the film on them worked wonders for holding them together after the glass broke. Making the lights last even longer.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM

cloudy spots

I installed XPEL film protection via instructions provided and also from this thread. 4 days later the "cloudy" spots remain. Im not sure if it's moisture or a film like substance from the rubbing alcohol/water mix. Instructions say it could take several days to go away. Weather in Cali has been 70-80's. Any clue?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-09-2014, 04:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation View Post
JWN Gave This Thread's only because there are cats in the last image instead of dogs.. Unless they are hunting cats.. when you use your piston for hunting..
Must you always post about rating threads? Nobody gives a shit.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotavalidpoint View Post
Must you always post about rating threads? Nobody gives a shit.
^^^ What he said. No, really, what he said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWranglerNation View Post
@Goodysgotacuda Must you post a rude comment about how I'm posting and find these threads very informative and entertaining?.. if you don't like what I'm posting.. then simply do not respond to them.. better yet.. ignore me all together..
Goody's post in this thread is appropriate and constructive, unlike yours.
He's trying to discourage you from douching up threads with your opinion - of the thread .

NOBODY HERE GIVES A FOOK ABOUT HOW MANY STARS YOU GIVE A THREAD.
PLEASE GET OVER YOURSELF.

Doc's write-up here kicks ass (as always ).
Your 4 stars don't help anyone here except you (to jerk off your own ego).
If I were going to rate this thread, I'd go 5/5 because Doc took the time to share the tech clearly and rocked it.

If I rated the thread (I won't - Doc's not looking for my affirmation as far as I know . . .) I wouldn't post just to share my "grading".
Why, you ask? Because NOBODY HERE GIVES A FAWK ABOUT HOW MANY STARS YOU GIVE A THREAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWangerNation View Post
@Goodysgotacuda Must you post a rude comment about how I'm posting and find these threads very informative and entertaining?
I sincerely hope he does, until you cease and desist your douchebaggery. Your douchey rating post is far more rude than Goody's "rude comment".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWaverNation View Post
.. if you don't like what I'm posting.. then simply do not respond to them..
If you don't have anything to add to threads except your opinion of the threads, simply do not respond to them.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 04-10-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode