Transfer Case Linkage Fix - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob4607
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Transfer Case Linkage Fix

As some of you have probably learned the transfer case linkage on our JK's isn't very well designed. Thought Id show an easy way to fix it that cost about $10.00.

I got these from Oreillys but I'm sure you can get them at just about any auto parts store.

First I dropped the transfer case skid to get access to the broken linkage.

Now taking the smallest bushing use a 5/16" drill bit and use it to open up the hole in the bushing.

After you drill out the bushing put it into the opening on the shift linkage cable and slide it onto the stud that's on the shift lever so that the flat end is facing out, away from the transfer case.

Next find the E-clip that measures 3/8"

Now you simply push the E-clip on to the shift lever in the grove that is already on the stud.

That,s it, takes about 20 min to do and there's enough to fix both ends. Only difference is when using the bushing that is the next size up you'll need to shave down the outside of it so it will fit into the opening on the shift linkage. Been running this fix on the other end of my shift linkage for over a year now with out a hitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Granite Guru

Great write up! Mine just broke at the shift lever when in 4Lo and after wheeling had to go under the Jeep and through the t-case lever forward to go home. Not so much fun with the exhaust right where your arm needs to go. I will be doing this to my rig this weekend. Thanks again for the write up!

08 Unlimited, Auto
Red Rock Crystal
Rubi Sliders | 2.5 RC Lift | RC Q-Disco's | Misc Skid plates | Hella Black Magic | MBRP Windshield mount | CB with Firestik LG3-M2 mount w/ 3' Firestik | 285/70/17 MT's | 17x9 Xd Series Matte Black Addict
TexasJK.com
post #3 of 15 Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Granite Guru

Thanks again for the write up! Took about an hour for both...Including beer brakes and it raining outside.

FYI, In the bushing kit there is only one of the smallest bushings that work. I had to sand down, outside diameter, the second to the smallest bushing to do both sides. You do have enough e clips. Thanks again!

08 Unlimited, Auto
Red Rock Crystal
Rubi Sliders | 2.5 RC Lift | RC Q-Disco's | Misc Skid plates | Hella Black Magic | MBRP Windshield mount | CB with Firestik LG3-M2 mount w/ 3' Firestik | 285/70/17 MT's | 17x9 Xd Series Matte Black Addict
TexasJK.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Doing this project next weekend

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So this will fix my hard time trying to put it into 4hi and lo?0

Sent from my iPhone 5!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #6 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUnlimitedSport_2010 View Post
So this will fix my hard time trying to put it into 4hi and lo?0

Sent from my iPhone 5!
No. That's user error imo. This will keep the bushing from popping and your shifter going limp.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Really goody... User error... I know how to use the t-case system... So I will find another solution! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone 5!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #8 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 04:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Really goody... User error... I know how to use the t-case system... So I will find another solution! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone 5!
I can get mine to shift pretty smooth, so yes really. It is not a fully synchronized system between 4hi and 4lo. The transfer case linkage breaking is primarily due to people trying to force the shifter, rather than slowly rolling and letting it fall in. A simple cable linkage isn't going to cause a hi to low problem, if you tried to do it by hand on the transfer case lever you could get it to bind up..but what the hell do I know? Good luck with your transfer case hi/lo internal synchronization mod. I'm not trying to be an ass, but I rather not see you waste your time and effort trying to "fix" something that isn't there.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 11-04-2012 at 04:53 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 04:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Yes user error, I have a rubicon and after many times of practicing over and over, I can now constantly shift it from 2wd, to 4wdh, then 4wdl and back with just two fingers. It's like a woman, you have to find its sweet spot. And no, spitting on it won't help.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #10 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am sorry for before... I went out and gently put it into 4hi and 4lo... Apparently I was trying to slam it in.... Damn it... Thanks for helping! Haha should this fix be done for precautions?

Sent from my iPhone 5!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #11 of 15 Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Haha should this fix be done for precautions?

Sent from my iPhone 5!
I did, it's a good idea. Mine was a little different but this should do it just fine.

post #12 of 15 Old 10-14-2015, 11:48 AM

Great step-by-step instructions. It took all of about 15 minutes to repair mine. Thanks!
post #13 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the pics!

Question: I just bought a 07 rubicon 2dr and broke the transfer case linkage the moment i got it into the driveway FML.

How it happened: I shifted from 2h to 4h and to 4L while stationary. The case proceeded to freeze up and had to force it into neutral. From Neutral it refused to go into any other drive mode and I eventually snapped the linkage trying to get out of neutral.

The Jeep became stuck in neutral and i had to call tow.

Luckily the dealer warranty is covering the fix but I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about any other damage that resulted from the freeze up? Also, how do i avoid this in the future?

I saw a little bit of fluid dripping from the bottom of the transmission after this happened did I possibly blow the transmission or the transfer case? Thanks for the help. -Joe
post #14 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Rock God

I've had the same zipties holding on for about 5 years now. On both the transfer case side and inside with the shifter. Never had an issue.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdyer90 View Post
Thanks for the pics!

Question: I just bought a 07 rubicon 2dr and broke the transfer case linkage the moment i got it into the driveway FML.

How it happened: I shifted from 2h to 4h and to 4L while stationary. The case proceeded to freeze up and had to force it into neutral. From Neutral it refused to go into any other drive mode and I eventually snapped the linkage trying to get out of neutral.

The Jeep became stuck in neutral and i had to call tow.

Luckily the dealer warranty is covering the fix but I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about any other damage that resulted from the freeze up? Also, how do i avoid this in the future?

I saw a little bit of fluid dripping from the bottom of the transmission after this happened did I possibly blow the transmission or the transfer case? Thanks for the help. -Joe
Highly unlikely that you broke the transmission or the transfer case. I am sure that the linkage broke way before you did any damage to them.
jgdyer90 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode