Mrs Planman gets a RIPP GEN2 Supercharger V3 Si-Trim Stage 2 Kit on her JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Mrs Planman gets a RIPP GEN2 Supercharger V3 Si-Trim Stage 2 Kit on her JK

The wife's 08 Rubi Unlimited automatic sits on 37s with a Teraflex long arm, EVO front coilovers, and rear EVOLever coilovers system.

When we bought it, it was about 1 year old, with less than 2k miles. EVO had built it with the suspension and 5.13 gears with 37s. To correct the speedometer, it had an AEV ProCal. For a little extra performance and to work with the EVOLever system, it had a Rancho catback.

Driving it back to Montana from Orange County, California, it didn't take very long before we were reminded of how bad a match the 3.8L is with the 42RLE automatic transmission. It sucked. The tranny would hunt for gears on inclines or with strong crosswinds.

Shortly after bringing it home, I upgraded to a Superchips Flashpaq towing tune, a K&N drop-in air filter, and switched out her 37" KM2s on Walker Evans beadlocks for lighter, 37" old-style MTRs (load range C) on 15" steel wheels.

These mods made considerable difference in performance, but freeway driving in Montana was still a disappointment.

Eventually, we pulled the 5.13s and installed 5.38s. The difference of the extra 150 rpm at highway speeds really helped, and overall fuel economy improved due to reduced tranny downshifting.

I had to reinstall the heavier tires with 17" aluminum wheels on her JK to clear upgraded front brakes.

Fast foward to wheeling with Co4Lo in Colorado last fall, and I saw how well his RIPP supercharger worked. I was intrigued. Years ago, I had an Avenger supercharged TJ with 4.88s on 35s that was a blast to drive, although it wasn't easy to tune for the altitudes of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, etc.

Fast forward to EJS '12, and I spent a good amount of time wheeling along side several RIPP supercharged JKs. I was impressed, and I decided that my 2dr should have one.

And...I realized that if my JK had one, my wife would expect the same treatment for her JK.

So, I recently bought two Gen2 V3 kits--one for each JK.

This thread will be for the install on my wife's JK--she gets hers first.

Wife's rig:

Ready for the install:

High altitude pulley (11 psi) and belt:

Grill off and aftermarket tranny cooler relocated to make room for intercooler:

Her old Superchips Flashpaq is unloaded and returned to stock--to be used on my daughter's TJ.

The Diablosport DS Downloader program is installed on my computer.

The wife's JK stock callibration (tune) is backed up to her new, Diablosport Predator programmer, and the RIPP supercharger tunes are updated and loaded to the programmer.

The plan is to install the kit in my garage over the next couple nights.

Then, we will drive the her JK on a road trip through Yellowstone this weekend as we celebrate our 22nd anniversary.

I'll update this thread as I go with relevant pics and observations.

However, I doubt I can come close to matching this awesome install video:

RIPP Superchargers GEN2 Supercharger kit Install for Wrangler 07-2011 - YouTube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

The instructions from RIPP are very good. Combined with the above video, this isn't too hard.

I didn't get home from work until later today (Wednesday), and only had a couple hours to work on it this evening. I made it as far as removing the Plenum. The next step is switching out the injectors--step 6A of 13.

So, I should be able to finish the install tomorrow (Thursday) after work.

Last edited by planman; 09-12-2012 at 10:03 PM.
post #3 of 40 Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

2nd place saver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

3rd place saver
post #5 of 40 Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Granite Guru

Looking forward to your report.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 40 Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Subscribed. The 3.8 loves to be forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #7 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Granite Guru

it will be a big improvement! i love mine. ran it thru its paces this past weekend and in 4lo it really shines.
Install took me @ 6 hrs on my own. im sure with a extra set of hands it would have went a little quicker.
good luck with it.

.................................................. ......................
08 detonator yellow JK rubi.RIPP super charger 3.5" Rock Krawler X factor long arm, with 2.5 remote res Coil overs, 37" mtr/k's,. With a bunch of other fun stuff!
post #8 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Rock God

Subscribed! I'm thinking of putting a RIPP SC on my rig. Are you putting new headers on either your rig or your wife's rig to complement the blower?

post #9 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Would Mr. and Mrs. Planman care to adopt a son? I work on Jeeps. I clean. I can grill... In exchange for love (and Jeep parts).

Damn, even your Wife's Jeep is sick! I hate you! (Getting into character for when you adopt me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Slow and Low

Subscribed. Nice work Anthony!
post #11 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Your wife is looking pretty dude-ish behind the wheel in those pics.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #12 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyb View Post
Subscribed! I'm thinking of putting a RIPP SC on my rig. Are you putting new headers on either your rig or your wife's rig to complement the blower?
I understand that the 11 psi pulley works best with a header, but I'm going to start out with the stock manifold.

And... I already have two kids. No adoptions in the future. :-)

And...yes... my wife lets me drive her rig from time to time. :-)

Last edited by planman; 09-12-2012 at 11:13 AM.
post #13 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Granite Guru

I to don't have the headers yet. I believe there is a little fab work needed to get them to work with the rk three link long arm. For know I can say it does make enough power. A friend had the headers on his short arm and then when he switched to a long arm set up he had to take them off. With that he did notice the change in amount of power.

Looking good!

.................................................. ......................
08 detonator yellow JK rubi.RIPP super charger 3.5" Rock Krawler X factor long arm, with 2.5 remote res Coil overs, 37" mtr/k's,. With a bunch of other fun stuff!
post #14 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

If we do headers, we'll do short tubes.

I believe I could run a longer spark plug wire to avoid melting it without a heat shield.

post #15 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Rock God

Will be watching this closely. Just got done installing 5.13's from 4.10's on my '07 with 35's. Lets just say I am not impressed on the highway as it still shifts out of od on overpasses. So I NEED MORE POWER.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
post #16 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 04:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Very nice, I'd really love to run a RIPP blower setup and their headers on mine. Just not in the cards these days. Looking forward to the info.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #17 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

subscribed.

Question as well, how many miles on these JK's you will be supercharging? I have 90K on mine and was wondering if these engines could hold up to the SC after that many miles?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #18 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Granite Guru

Im excited to hear your reviews, id pull the trigger today but was told they surge badly is that the case?

2010 rubicon. 3.5 rk lift. 37,s. 6.2 Ls3.
post #19 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
subscribed.

Question as well, how many miles on these JK's you will be supercharging? I have 90K on mine and was wondering if these engines could hold up to the SC after that many miles?
Less than 35k miles. We rarely put more than 500 miles a month on our daily drivers unless it is to go wheeling.

But, replacement engines aren't hard to find at a reasonable price.

RIPP has customers with higher mile engines.

I think we would read more engine failure threads if there were much of a problem.

post #20 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Dude, duely impressed. I'm going to have to ask for a test drive in your two door.

I'll be home the two weeks after christmas and all next summer past June. Expect a pm during those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #21 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvey View Post
Im excited to hear your reviews, id pull the trigger today but was told they surge badly is that the case?
I read that guys at higher elevations needed the 11 psi, high altitude pulley for smooth operation.

I didn't see any surging issues at EJS or while wheeling with Co4Lo.

Co4Lo lives in Colorado Springs at a very high elevation and has really liked his RIPP with 44s and 5.38s with an automatic.

One of my close friends here in Montana just bought a used 08 built in SoCal with a RIPP, automatic, 4.10s and 33s. After bringing it home and installing the 11 psi pulley, a short tube header, and having RIPP update his tune, he really liked it. This is a guy who does custom stuff. He had planned on selling the engine and the RIPP to replace it with a 5.3 or 5.7 GM motor. Now, he has no plans to swap unless he manages to blow his stock engine--which will take a long time.

My wife's will have 37s, automatic and 5.38s.

Mine will have 40s, a 6 speed and 5.38s.

I'll report on both rigs to let you know, but after wheeling along side several RIPP'd rigs, I am confident in my purchase.

post #22 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Dude, duely impressed. I'm going to have to ask for a test drive in your two door.

I'll be home the two weeks after christmas and all next summer past June. Expect a pm during those times.
Absolutely. We have a place 30 minutes north of Billings for wheeling.

post #23 of 40 Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Subscribed. Let the fun begin.
post #24 of 40 Old 09-14-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I didn't get it finished before this weekend.

So, more updates next week.

post #25 of 40 Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Rock God

Planman hows the install coming? Anything to update with?

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 315/70R17 Milestar Patagonia MT , Vision Nemesis 111, 17X9 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode