ASFIR4X4 Oil Pan / Transmission Skid Plate #547055 Review + Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

ASFIR4X4 Oil Pan / Transmission Skid Plate #547055 Review + Install

http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/547055.htm

With Jeep Wrangler JK 4-doors weighing upwards of 5,000 pounds nowadays, heft is becoming an increasing issue. The 2012 does have more power to scoot your rig around, but not everyone has the new 3.6L and when off road at 3 m.p.h., horsepower isn’t a factor.

Enter Rebel Team Member Chris and his 2011 Jeep Wrangler JK 4-door. Trail carnage expert. Not only is this not his first Jeeps first engine, but every single square inch of it really has seen some sort of trail abuse.
In light of his Jeep’s increasing weight after adding bumpers, a winch, plus normal trail supplies, we thought about ways to keep his rig on the road and save some girth.

ASFIR4X4 to the rescue. According to their talking points, they have been in the underbelly protection business for 26 years. Each of their skids is born from 5052 Aluminum, cut to ¼” thickness. They say, “This gives our customers a product that is strong and durable without adding any unnecessary weight to their vehicle.”

We chose an ASFIR4X4 Oil Pan/Transmission skid plate (part #547055) for Chris’s JK. It is designed to be 100% bolt on and because it is aluminum, does not need to be powdercoated. It arrived boxed up very well, each component individually wrapped with bagged hardware and installation instructions. We were guaranteed this was right off the shelf, and not carefully made to order for a vendor build. No tricks.

Install began by inventorying the parts and ensuring the instructions were the latest version. After racking Chris’s Jeep we took inventory of his damage. The oil pan was actually the only part of his undercarriage not showing some signs of wear and tear. We’ve included pictures of the BEFORE, we will follow up with AFTER photos once we get his Jeep on a few future runs.

(Just took a quick look at more of the ASFIR4X4 talking points, did you know the company was founded by two former Israeli Special Forces Officers?)

We first removed the Jeep transfer case skid plate. We installed the driver and passenger side ASFIR4X4 motor mount drop down hanger brackets finger tight, then bolted the front of the skid to the hangers. This allowed us to check clearance and ensure there would be wiggle room to line up the cross member bolt holes. We did notice the hanger brackets were zinc coated steel – ensuring extra strength by the vital organs of the engine.

We finger tight installed the back of the skid plate to the rear cross member, ensuring we had the supplied shims lined up that space out the skid from the undercarriage. This is done when the ASFIR4X4 transfer case skid plate is not being utilized at the same time.

Once we were confident the oil pan / transmission skid plate would line up without making contact anywhere, we tightened the skid into place. We reinstalled the Jeep OEM transfer case skid plate over the ASFIR4X4 skid and tightened it back down. Quick few rattle checks with the side of our fist and we lowered the Jeep down off the rack. After a test drive around the block with no rattles we were confident the job was a success!

Initial thoughts: “Beer cans are made out of aluminum, will this work?” So far, we say yes. The ¼” thick skid is super beefy, the welds are immaculate, and the whole system is precision cut and bent.

Pros:
Rust? Not an issue with aluminum.
Extremely light weight – the whole skid was a lightweight 26 pounds.
Fitment – exact fit. In fact, amazing – mind blowing – couldn’t have possibly fit better.
Weight – 26 pounds! In fact it is so light, we don’t mind shipping a few of them for free!

Cons:
Priced more than a steel skid plate – these are a slightly tougher pill to swallow.

A big thank you ASFIR4X4 team leader Kelly for her assistance on this – we, well more importantly Chris, owe you one!

Cheers,
Bond

http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/547055.htm

The patient. Chris's 2011 Jeep JK Unlimited "Storm Trooper."

The cure for the exposed oil pan and transmission!

The skid ships in one piece with safely packed accessories.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Thanks for this write-up - I've been considering one of these for quite a while now but just couldn't find any detailed pics or other information. This will absolutely work for what I need with my '12. Agreed that the price can be a little higher than what we're used to for steel.

Are you guys going to be a vendor for Asfir, or are they strictly direct business?

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #5 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Thanks for this write-up - I've been considering one of these for quite a while now but just couldn't find any detailed pics or other information. This will absolutely work for what I need with my '12. Agreed that the price can be a little higher than what we're used to for steel.

Are you guys going to be a vendor for Asfir, or are they strictly direct business?
We are an authorized dealer and installer.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Excellent. Do want - I'm considering it but admittedly having a hard time swallowing the $600 price tag, when something with similar coverage from JCR is less than half of that and still not terribly heavy (35 lbs). I'll reach out to you if I decide to bite the bullet.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Granite Guru

We're the first to admit, that ASFIR skid plates are priced higher than most of what's out on the market.

However, with that $600 price tag, you're getting coverage with our 1/4" 5052 Aluminum alloy plate. Installed, it only adds 26lbs (15 lbs for aluminum plate – 11 lbs for the steel brackets/shims).

Take advantage of the free shipping from Rebel... you won't be disappointed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ASFIR4X4_AZ; 08-23-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: kelly
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 PM
Wheeler

Looks nice. How strong is it? How much weight will it support?
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Rock God

I have other ASFIR products. I dont have this one though. my underbelly skids are quite different and were designed from ASFIR for a jeep with a budget boost or a 2" lift. Here is a quick review.

Front and Rear Bumpers. - All steel construction. others have been surprised as they are made from thinner steel but the construction gives these strength. I have pushed boulders out of the way and no problem. Rear bumper is great as well. I have only bent one portion of the rear bumper and I can understand why. at the reciever hole area of the rear bumper it hooked on some rocks and became dented upwards so I could no longer put a reciever in it. I have bent it back down and back into place and will weld it to the reciever. if I take the bumper off the jeep (not likely) I will then just grind off the weld.

Oil pan skid (not the system being reviewed in this thread) - aluminum, covers the oil pan only. easy to put on. never been tested. I have never taken a hit here. either way nice to have it covered.

Transmission/Transfercase skid (again not the system that is reviewed in this thread) - one peice aluminum. I have adapted it so it allows for my 4" TF lift to articulate and front driveshaft is able to clear it. I have taken one trip with it and I had turtled on many many rocks with it that day. I was able to get my self off the rocks barely. the thing about aluminium is that it gouges. so you stop dead compared to metal. it held up to the days abuse and the full weight of the jeep squirming away to get off rocks but it is bowed now. thats ok. there is room for it to bow and I have seen other aluminum skids and they all do the same thing. this is still pretty stuff stuff. I will run it till I cant and for a replacement I may try steel just here. it takes alot of abuse due to my jeep is a JKU so breakover clearence is not as good as a 2 door.

evap skid - aluminum - works, it has taken a few hits and no real issues. it has not bent or become mangled but I dont think this will ever take a big hit like the transmission/transfercase skid does

Muffler skid - aluminium. love the looks of it. it is effective coverage. my muffler has remained not damaged other than the tailpipe,but that is not protected by the skid. I trimmed the tailpipe to be even with the skid and problem was solved. the muffer skid has been used quite abit. it has taken the full weight of the jeep. I dont think anyone else could put it through more abuse. the skid itself still functions but the abuse has taken its tole. could be just manufacturing my skid as I dont think the welds were that great and they have broken on both sides. I have not approached ASFIR with the problem but will be discussing with ASFIR. Likely I will just take it off and get it repaired.

Overall I think they have great products and with the interactions I have had with them I find the company here in the USA to be very approachable and customer service to be top notch. if you have a problem with a product they will help you even though it is a skid.

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 08-25-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode